Bills 2023 Official Schedule

Just now, balln said:

I would have fired him after KC 13 seconds and def after cincy 

BUT will Terry? No way. Even if they went 4-12 this year they wouldn’t fire mcdermott 

I disagree on the 4-12 part. If the season goes that bad, then I could see Terry cleaning house and firing both McDermott and Beane. 4 wins with this roster and Josh as the QB. They should be able to win 8-9 games in their sleep with this roster. One thing to remember is with the new stadium on the way with raised ticket prices and PSL fees. Terry needs a winning product more than ever and that means the pressure will be on McDermott and Beane to produce or else.

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I disagree on the 4-12 part. If the season goes that bad, then I could see Terry cleaning house and firing both McDermott and Beane. 4 wins with this roster and Josh as the QB. They should be able to win 8-9 games in their sleep with this roster. One thing to remember is with the new stadium on the way with raised ticket prices and PSL fees. Terry needs a winning product more than ever and that means the pressure will be on McDermott and Beane to produce or else.

To be fair. The D is not really

talented. There is one difference maker milano. Von is hurt and won’t play for a while. They have 2 solid vets (safeties). Everyone else are JAGs. 

elam has hope to develop 

their OL is average. And poor at RT. 

Diggs is an impact player. Rest are JAGs

Allen is top 2-3 qb 

and our coaching I think is average to below average in big games 

BUT to Terry with the worst franchise in professional sports (Sabres) and the bills with the drought the FO and coaches are never gonna be fired 

Edited by balln
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, balln said:

talented. There is one difference maker milano. Von is hurt and won’t play for a while. They have 2 solid vets (safeties). Everyone else are JAGs. 

elam has hope to develop 

Allen is top 2-3 qb 

BUT to Terry with the worst franchise in professional sports (Sabres) and the bills with the drought the FO and coaches are never gonna be fired 

Fair point on the Bills but it does look like the Sabres have finally gotten it right. 91 points last year with a very young and talented core to build around. I said this in the Sabres thread, but I think they will have the type of season next year that the Devils had this past year. So, unless injuries hit there will be playoff hockey in Buffalo next spring.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, balln said:

elam has hope to develop 

Allen is top 2-3 qb 

with all these average players why are we over the cap? rhetorical question- not a dig at original poster as i agree with the assessment

2 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

with all these average players why are we over the cap? rhetorical question- not a dig at original poster as i agree with the assessment

Cap spending doesn’t equate w great players or winning. Look at saints

bills Allen , diggs , Von and Milano prob make up the bulk. And they’re deserving 

tre should be shipped or cut as soon as a shrewd gm can make it work from $ per performance standpoint 

On 5/17/2023 at 10:43 AM, Scott7975 said:

Right and Sharp definitely suggested this was intentional.  I am not so sure about that.  I think they come up with an optimal schedule (matchups for TV windows, max revenues) that has some teams a rest advantage, some teams a rest disadvantage.  It seems like the NFL in previous years constrained the schedule to not have as much rest advantage/disadvantage but that limits what matchups can occur at various times and with the ever increasing number of game windows they through that out the window.

On the flip side, KC has 6 straight games last in the season that all have a schedule disadvantage.  The Bills came out neutral.  I look forward to the whining in future years when the Bills get the bad end :).  According to Sharp there is correlation late in the season if one team has a rest advantage over another, not as much early on.   

On 5/17/2023 at 10:42 AM, balln said:

BUT will Terry? No way. Even if they went 4-12 this year they wouldn’t fire mcdermott 

still one game left

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/17/2023 at 9:59 AM, Gregg said:

It's been a long time since the Bills played a 4:25 game at home. They have a "sexy" schedule this year for the networks. Not every game can be TNF, SNF, MNF. So, CBS and FOX want some of those Sunday afternoon Bills games as the national game broadcast to the entire country. Otherwise, it makes no sense for an EC team to play 4:00 or 4:25 home games.

I wonder if Pegula cleans house completely or Beane gets a chance to hire the next HC assuming your scenario plays out.

There has to be someone available to hire to fire but I would expect them both to be gone. They’re tied at the hip and it’s not clear what the hierarchy is and where accountability falls (on purpose) so he’d be forced to clean house.

We still don’t know how much was Frazier’s fault and that’s a huge problem, but we’s about to find out!

Edited by Governor
  • Like (+1) 1

Awesome thread - thank you for sharing!

THIS is how math can really deepen the discussion surrounding professional sports: non-predictive analysis of quantifiable data. Don't try to look forward with it; it's an amazing post-hoc tool. Sharp makes the NFL schedule a fascinating and even upsetting topic with his analytical deep dive. 

• Agree 1

On 5/18/2023 at 11:28 AM, Matt_In_NH said:

Right and Sharp definitely suggested this was intentional.  I am not so sure about that.  I think they come up with an optimal schedule (matchups for TV windows, max revenues) that has some teams a rest advantage, some teams a rest disadvantage.  It seems like the NFL in previous years constrained the schedule to not have as much rest advantage/disadvantage but that limits what matchups can occur at various times and with the ever increasing number of game windows they through that out the window.

On the flip side, KC has 6 straight games last in the season that all have a schedule disadvantage.  The Bills came out neutral.  I look forward to the whining in future years when the Bills get the bad end :).  According to Sharp there is correlation late in the season if one team has a rest advantage over another, not as much early on.   

12 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Awesome thread - thank you for sharing!

THIS is how math can really deepen the discussion surrounding professional sports: non-predictive analysis of quantifiable data. Don't try to look forward with it; it's an amazing post-hoc tool. Sharp makes the NFL schedule a fascinating and even upsetting topic with his analytical deep dive. 

It is an interesting deep-dive into the schedule but in my mind, the only rest discrepancies that "matter" are those of 2 or more days.  I mean, MNF has been around forever and even in the playoffs there is often a 1 day difference in rest.

In that respect the Jets have a net +3 advantage in "2+" rest games (3 for, 0 against), which is tied for most along with Chicago.  Two teams are -3 -- Atlanta and KC.  Everyone else is between +2 and -2, and the Bills are a net 0.  I don't think it's as big of a deal as Sharp makes it, or some evidence of an NFL conspiracy.

If anyone got screwed it is the teams who play two or more games against teams with a week or more of rest, because no team plays more than one of those games on the plus side.  The losers there are SF (3), LAR (3), NYG (2), and DET (2).

4 hours ago, eball said:

It is an interesting deep-dive into the schedule but in my mind, the only rest discrepancies that "matter" are those of 2 or more days.  I mean, MNF has been around forever and even in the playoffs there is often a 1 day difference in rest.

In that respect the Jets have a net +3 advantage in "2+" rest games (3 for, 0 against), which is tied for most along with Chicago.  Two teams are -3 -- Atlanta and KC.  Everyone else is between +2 and -2, and the Bills are a net 0.  I don't think it's as big of a deal as Sharp makes it, or some evidence of an NFL conspiracy.

If anyone got screwed it is the teams who play two or more games against teams with a week or more of rest, because no team plays more than one of those games on the plus side.  The losers there are SF (3), LAR (3), NYG (2), and DET (2).

On a game by game basis, sure, it's maybe not such a huge deal-- especially early in the season. But, the real question is (and I'm not saying I know the answer): Does Aaron Rodgers' 12 additional days of rest over the league average (and Josh Allen) have a cumulative effect as the season wears on? Do those 12 additional days, sporadic though they may be, make for a healthier Aaron Rodger come week 18? And, if so, at what point does that cumulative effect become significant?

EDIT: As I think about this, I would also think that if there is a cumulative effect of rest days for an aging QB, it would likely be more advantageous for Rodgers, as they have an early, week seven bye. It would be less of an issue for Allen, and the Bills having a much later, week 13 bye, which would, at least to some degree, negate the necessity for additional rest days going into the end of the regular season. Or something...

Edited by Rocky Landing

On 5/17/2023 at 10:42 AM, balln said:

For everyone thumbing down. let me ask you. If Jerry jones team had a national debacle like that …. Or John Mara giants …. Or eagles 

do you think they’d keep their average / hasn’t proven anything coach w all world qb? 

no way. They’d make the shrewd hard decision that it takes in professional sports. And hired and offensive coach

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.