Bills 2023 Official Schedule

On 5/20/2023 at 11:17 AM, balln said:

For everyone thumbing down. let me ask you. If Jerry jones team had a national debacle like that …. Or John Mara giants …. Or eagles 

do you think they’d keep their average / hasn’t proven anything coach w all world qb? 

no way. They’d make the shrewd hard decision that it takes in professional sports. And hired and offensive coach

Jerry Jones still employs Mike McCarthy, so yes, I think he would keep McD around.

Gotta love a guy arguing for high accountability environments getting bent out of shape by a couple of downvotes.

• Agree 1

What is it with some Bills fans already talking about cleaning house...firing McD, Beane and the season hasn't even started. 

Yes, the Bills ended last season with an ugly loss to the Bengals at HOME. Still, it was a 13-3 season fraught with so many injuries on defense and with a rookie play-caller on offense. You guys do realize that Brian Daboll had 8 seasons behind him as an NFL offensive coordinator...and yet. 

The Buffalo Bills also ended the 2020 season with an ugly loss at Arrowhead and kept improving the team. Some of you need to recall who the first guy the Peguals hired as the Buffalo HC was.  

Yes, this season is going to be very trying for this franchise. The Jets got better by finally trading for a top QB...that defense! The Dolphins went 9-8 with a 20th-ranked defense and this off-season hired a top DC while trading for a top CB in Jalen Ramsey. The Patriots got better by finally obtaining a real NFL OC who used to be an HC, their offense should be way better this season. 

Bills fans can hope that the Jets, Dolphins, and Patriots all beat the hell out of each other. I know I'll be rooting for that. 

Anyway, have some dang faith that this coaching staff will get it done this season. The hotter the fire...

10 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

What is it with some Bills fans already talking about cleaning house...firing McD, Beane and the season hasn't even started. 

Yes, the Bills ended last season with an ugly loss to the Bengals at HOME. Still, it was a 13-3 season fraught with so many injuries on defense and with a rookie play-caller on offense. You guys do realize that Brian Daboll had 8 seasons behind him as an NFL offensive coordinator...and yet. 

The Buffalo Bills also ended the 2020 season with an ugly loss at Arrowhead and kept improving the team. Some of you need to recall who the first guy the Peguals hired as the Buffalo HC was.  

Yes, this season is going to be very trying for this franchise. The Jets got better by finally trading for a top QB...that defense! The Dolphins went 9-8 with a 20th-ranked defense and this off-season hired a top DC while trading for a top CB in Jalen Ramsey. The Patriots got better by finally obtaining a real NFL OC who used to be an HC, their offense should be way better this season. 

Bills fans can hope that the Jets, Dolphins, and Patriots all beat the hell out of each other. I know I'll be rooting for that. 

Anyway, have some dang faith that this coaching staff will get it done this season. The hotter the fire...

I have faith they can get it done in the regular season. They have proven that. It's getting over the hump in the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl that I have no faith in in McDermott and his coaches. 13 seconds means McDermott doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in the postseason.

Edited by Gregg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

I have faith they can get it done in the regular season. They have proven that. It's getting over the hump in the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl that I have no faith in in McDermott and his coaches. 13 seconds means McDermott doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in the postseason.

From what I've read that 13 seconds was all Frazier and that was when McD saw the defensive he was supposedly screaming on the sidelines. Although, I have no idea why if that were true... why he simply didn't call a time-out and change the defensive play. Looking back at the play-by-play he had time-outs left.

I was upset as anyone when I saw that all the Buffalo players besides the D linemen were all 15 yards off the line. Tyreek Hill for 19 yards and the very next play the Bills were in a "prevent" defense again. This time to Kelce for 25 yards. No excuse in the world can forgive that defensive screwup...TWICE! 

Looking back over the last three seasons it does look like Buffalo's defensive failings are a big reason for the postseason exits. 2020 getting thumped by KC at Arrowhead 38-24. 2021, the 13 seconds. 2022, 10-27 against Cincinnati in Buffalo. Could be that the "bend, but don't break" has gotta go! 

This 2023 NFL season should be very telling for the Buffalo Bills in so many ways... Still, I'm not for any changes to the Buffalo coaching staff just yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

From what I've read that 13 seconds was all Frazier and that was when McD saw the defensive he was supposedly screaming on the sidelines. Although, I have no idea why if that were true... why he simply didn't call a time-out and change the defensive play. Looking back at the play-by-play he had time-outs left.

I was upset as anyone when I saw that all the Buffalo players besides the D linemen were all 15 yards off the line. Tyreek Hill for 19 yards and the very next play the Bills were in a "prevent" defense again. This time to Kelce for 25 yards. No excuse in the world can forgive that defensive screwup...TWICE! 

Looking back over the last three seasons it does look like Buffalo's defensive failings are a big reason for the postseason exits. 2020 getting thumped by KC at Arrowhead 38-24. 2021, the 13 seconds. 2022, 10-27 against Cincinnati in Buffalo. Could be that the "bend, but don't break" has gotta go! 

This 2023 NFL season should be very telling for the Buffalo Bills in so many ways... Still, I'm not for any changes to the Buffalo coaching staff just yet. 

1) McD did call timeouts prior to both the 19 yard play to Tyreek and the 25 yard play to Kelce. Not to mention a lengthy break between the TD to take the lead and the kickoff to think about what to do on defense for 1 or 2 plays. Having and using timeouts there is a big reason I view this as one of the worst coaching failures in NFL history. McD/Frazier had ample time to think about what they wanted to do and they settled on a prevent defense....twice.... 

2) Where did you hear/see McD was screaming on the sidelines about defensive formations? By all reports I've read he never blamed the loss on anyone publicly, just saying "we need to execute better". If you read between the lines it seems he scape-goated the ST coach as he wasn't brought back and was blamed for miscommunication on the kickoff (touchback vs short kick).

Personally I think McD and Frazier were terrified of losing the game to a long Tyreek TD after giving up that 64 yard TD to him with 1:02 left in the game. They got tunnel vision on not losing to 1 big play by Tyreek and instead cost us the game by allowing the Chiefs some very easy plays to go down for a tying FG. We lost the OT coin flip and the rest is history. 

Agreed that the defense has been awful for 3 straight postseason losses. I HATE the bend but don't break. Works great against the Skylar Thompsons of the world but not so much against the Mahomes/Burrows that you'll need to beat to win a SB. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Agreed that the defense has been awful for 3 straight postseason losses. I HATE the bend but don't break. Works great against the Skylar Thompsons of the world but not so much against the Mahomes/Burrows that you'll need to beat to win a SB. 

I'm not so sure about that bolded part as Buffalo barely beat Miami at home 31-34. Skylar Thompson who was a 7th-round pick of the Dolphins in 2022 didn't play all that poorly considering how the QB on the other team played. He went 18 of 45 for 220 1 TD, and 2 INT. 

Josh Allen went 23 of 39 for 352 3 TDs, 2 INTs, and 3 fumbles with 1 fumble lost. 7x sacks! This was against the Miami 20th or so-ranked defense 24th in points allowed, 18th in yards allowed.

As I said, this offseason the Dolphins hired ex-Denver HC Vic Fangio and traded for CB Jalen Ramsey. Miami just got way tougher to move the ball against. 

I really hope Buffalo properly upgraded that horrid 2022 Bills offensive line.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I'm not so sure about that bolded part as Buffalo barely beat Miami at home 31-34. Skylar Thompson who was a 7th-round pick of the Dolphins in 2022 didn't play all that poorly considering how the QB on the other team played. He went 18 of 45 for 220 1 TD, and 2 INT. 

Josh Allen went 23 of 39 for 352 3 TDs, 2 INTs, and 3 fumbles with 1 fumble lost. 7x sacks! This was against the Miami 20th or so-ranked defense 24th in points allowed, 18th in yards allowed.

As I said, this offseason the Dolphins hired ex-Denver HC Vic Fangio and traded for CB Jalen Ramsey. Miami just got way tougher to move the ball against. 

I really hope Buffalo properly upgraded that horrid 2022 Bills offensive line.

Miami knew their only chance in this game was to play a boom or bust defensive style that tried to force as many turnovers as possible at the expense of big plays. That's exactly how it played out. The number of times they blitzed, and blitzed 7 guys, is more than I've ever seen in a game. Eventually this led to a missed assignment that caused the fumble-6, and caused 2 other turnovers. It also allowed us to score 34 points and have many big plays despite the turnovers. Fangio will not call plays like this unless they ste using a 3rd string qb against us again because it is usually needlessly risky to play like that against established QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/22/2023 at 8:29 PM, Nihilarian said:

It is immature impatience.  besides the main offender is already gone.  

Edited by jethro_tull

7 hours ago, arcane said:

I'm watching Bills highlights on youtube like always. And man I hope we are done with blue on blue. It looks terrible. And now has so many of the bad vibes from last year associated with it

I hate the all blues and all reds as well. Going off of last year it looks like the all blues has replaced the blue over white as the primary home look.

6 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Hosting the Bengals really helped the Bills last year...

He might be talking about the bye, home field, and weakest remaining opponent advantage instead of just home field like last year.  I’m not 100% sure, just a hunch. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, TheWeatherMan said:

He might be talking about the bye, home field, and weakest remaining opponent advantage instead of just home field like last year.  I’m not 100% sure, just a hunch. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

OK, no bye, but the Bills faced Miami's third choice QB in the Wildcard and limped past them. The best performance in the play offs in recent years came at Arrowhead. Yes, getting first would be great, but perhaps I'm not setting as much by it as some.

• Agree 1

On 5/23/2023 at 4:33 AM, Gregg said:

100% in agreement. Well said Gregg. 

On 5/23/2023 at 10:43 AM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

1) McD did call timeouts prior to both the 19 yard play to Tyreek and the 25 yard play to Kelce. Not to mention a lengthy break between the TD to take the lead and the kickoff to think about what to do on defense for 1 or 2 plays. Having and using timeouts there is a big reason I view this as one of the worst coaching failures in NFL history. McD/Frazier had ample time to think about what they wanted to do and they settled on a prevent defense....twice.... 

2) Where did you hear/see McD was screaming on the sidelines about defensive formations? By all reports I've read he never blamed the loss on anyone publicly, just saying "we need to execute better". If you read between the lines it seems he scape-goated the ST coach as he wasn't brought back and was blamed for miscommunication on the kickoff (touchback vs short kick).

Personally I think McD and Frazier were terrified of losing the game to a long Tyreek TD after giving up that 64 yard TD to him with 1:02 left in the game. They got tunnel vision on not losing to 1 big play by Tyreek and instead cost us the game by allowing the Chiefs some very easy plays to go down for a tying FG. We lost the OT coin flip and the rest is history. 

Very nice post!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.