Bills at jets monday opener ESPN/ABC on week 1

djp14150

I actually like playing the Jets on the road in week 1. It might take Rodgers some time to gell with his new teammates. If the Bills get a win here, then it will put pressure on the Jets to win at Buffalo. It will also give the Bills a great chance for a series sweep.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I actually like it. For decades now the Jets have been our most boring opponent. I literally never circle those two games on my must-watch calendar. So as the Opener, and on Monday Night, against Rodgers….why not? 

Given the fact that the Bills have sucked for a long time before McBeane I would say the Bills had no exciting opponents. 

50 minutes ago, BBMB Poster said:

I love it.  We find out right off the bat, if the balance of power has shifted in the AFC East. 

Are you kidding me, week 1 is the dirtiest of liars littered with flukes every year.  We lost to an objectively bad Steelers team week 1, the same week a team got their only win of the season.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

Given the fact that the Bills have sucked for a long time before McBeane I would say the Bills had no exciting opponents. 

Gregg…I’ve been a watching the Bills since just after their inception. The certainly have had must-see opponents throughout the decades. The Dolphins in the 70’s and the Pats in their heyday. The last time anyone could say that about the Jets might have been when Namath was there….but even that was pretty short lived. 

We waited for two decades to have a relevant franchise, and now that they are "must see TV" and play in prime time those same fans cry about the games not being on Sunday at 1 pm.

This **** place never ceases to amaze me.

Are the games past your bedtime?  You don't like being the only show in town?

This is a friggin' GREAT opener and I can't wait.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

Are you kidding me, week 1 is the dirtiest of liars littered with flukes every year.  We lost to an objectively bad Steelers team week 1, the same week a team got their only win of the season.

Agree.  It can be flukey.  Our opener last year was pretty on the nose though.   

If we didn't get ravaged by injury, I think that team we were on opening night, was pretty close to who we could have been all year.. and we saw the Rams were frauds after their Super Bowl run. 

22 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

That IS how it works. We are the better team, and we get more primetime games.

that IS NOT How it works.   And now you are changing your position.  First it is If the Bills play the Jets in NJ in PT then the Jets at Bills MUST be PT, sorry not how it works.  Now you are saying better teams get more PT, again NOT how it works.

How it works:

The NFL decides what games are on PT based on maximizing revenue.  Better teams plays into that but it is just one factor.   A better team playing a lesser team on the road is better for the NFL because the lesser team has a better chance for the upset or making it a close game, they want to keep eyes on the TV.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Gregg…I’ve been a watching the Bills since just after their inception. The certainly have had must-see opponents throughout the decades. The Dolphins in the 70’s and the Pats in their heyday. The last time anyone could say that about the Jets might have been when Namath was there….but even that was pretty short lived. 

I agree with you on the Dolphins but not because of the losing decade of the 70's. What made the Dolphins the Bills biggest rival was the Kelly-Marino years and all of the playoff battles these teams have played. NE was just like the NYJ a divisional rival for sure but there was no real rivalry. The Pats kicking the crap out of the Bills during the Brady years wasn't a rivalry. I would bet during that time the Pats thought of the Colts (Peyton), Ravens (Lewis), Steelers (Ben) and Broncos (Peyton) as bigger rivals then anyone from the division. The Brady Pats looked at the Bills, Dolphins, Jets as Moe, Larry, Curly.

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

I agree with you on the Dolphins but not because of the losing decade of the 70's. What made the Dolphins the Bills biggest rival was the Kelly-Marino years and all of the playoff battles these teams have played. NE was just like the NYJ a divisional rival for sure but there was no real rivalry. The Pats kicking the crap out of the Bills during the Brady years wasn't a rivalry. I would bet during that time the Pats thought of the Colts (Peyton), Ravens (Lewis), Steelers (Ben) and Broncos (Peyton) as bigger rivals then anyone from the division. The Brady Pats looked at the Bills, Dolphins, Jets as Moe, Larry, Curly.

Thanks. You’re correct. Notice that I didn’t say it was a ‘rivalry’. My point was that those were the games you really wanted to see, even if you knew we were big underdogs. I can’t recall an era where anyone felt that way about the Jets. Unfortunately the Rodgers era is going to be short lived. 

• Like (+1) 1

Let's keep this streak alive.

Rich Cimini on Twitter: "The Jets have dropped 7 straight in prime time. Last win was the 2018 opener in Detroit (Darnold's debut). #Bills went 5-0 in prime time last season. #Jets" / Twitter

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, eball said:

We waited for two decades to have a relevant franchise, and now that they are "must see TV" and play in prime time those same fans cry about the games not being on Sunday at 1 pm.

This **** place never ceases to amaze me.

Are the games past your bedtime?  You don't like being the only show in town?

This is a friggin' GREAT opener and I can't wait.

LMAO...actually, it IS past my bedtime, as I have to wake up at 5:30a every morning, but I'll take a late afternoon nap and load up on the caffeine to stay awake til 11:30 p, same thing I did last year about 4-5 times!

I also agree that it *should* be a great opener. This nonsense about Rogers and his receivers not being in sync is just that...nonsense. I have no doubt that the Jets receivers will have no problem catching balls that are "right on the money."  Bills D needs to be TOTALLY different than they showed at the end of last year, or else AR will put up 35+ points on them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I'm good with playing the Jets. Disgruntled we are not playing Sunday opening week two years in a row.

Playing the Jets week one has some benefits for the Bills. For starters Rodgers has typically not been fast out of the gate. 

I think this helps our offense out as well. I do believe the Jets more than anyone exposed the simplicity of our passing game, Josh Allen's reckless scrambling, our pathetic guard play, and inability to do anything with the run or short pass game.

The entire offseason has been about changing the entire offense to work against what the Jets do well defensively and what other teams would mimic to slow us down.

What I like & what I don't:

• Like the national stage for any game
  • Don't like waiting until the last day of opening weekend to see my team after starving since January
  • Like initial match-ups with divisional rivals to be on the road - so the 2nd game is at home
  • Don't like being the sacrificial lamb -- home opener opponent to anyone, especially a divisional opponent (though it happens every year - I'd rather play St. Mary's - LOL)
    • Will we get a divisional opponent at home in week two (our own sacrificial lamb)??? (probably not)
  • Relish the opportunity to jump out and grab a game lead on the divisional race - hoping the Bills under McDermott are a fast-starting team! (See Rams game last year vs a slow starter against the Steelers the year before).

Looking forward to all of it!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.