How much has your life changed since you first logged in?

boyst

April 22nd 2009.  Weird.  First time I’ve looked at my “member since” date.  I was living in Charlotte.  I found out my wife was pregnant with my son (our first child) around this time bc he was born on 12/28/09.  

Wife and I had just been RIF’ed by our school district, so we were looking for jobs all over the country.  We ended up in Fairbanks, Alaska where we lived from 2010 to 2013.  That was wild.  I actually loved it there.  Moved back to the lower 48 in June of 2013, closed on our house in Vermont in August of 2013, and my daughter was born on 11/1/13.

My son is 13 and my daughter in 9.  Wife and I have been married for 15 years.  A lot has happened!  Good thread idea @boyst.

• Like (+1) 3

Joined in 2003

2004 was first tbd tailgate. In the Hammer lot 
Have met a lot of people from tbd over the years. Became close friends with a lot of people from all over the place. 
started 518 lunch club. It did slow down because of Covid.  Have to fire it back up. 

started TBD PARKING THREADS for games back in I think 2013. For people who come in from out of town. 

season tickets going back to 92. 

Last year only went to 2 games. 
booked room for the home opener. Yesterday. 
only $105 at Aloft near the airport. 

2 granddaughters 

2 granddogs 

retired in 2017. 

married 45 years ago today. 

Edited by mead107
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Joined in 2003

2004 was first tbd tail gate. In the Hammer lot 
Have met a lot of people from tbd over the years. Became close friends with a lot of people from all over the place. 
started 518 lunch club. It did slowed down because of Covid.  Have to fire it back up. 

started TBD PARKING THREADS for games back in I think 2013. For people who come in from out of town. 

season tickets going back to 92. 

Last year only went to 2 games. 
booked room for the home opener. Yesterday. 
only $105 at Aloft near the airport. 

2 granddaughters 

2 granddogs 

retired in 2017. 

married 45 years ago today. 

CONGRATS on the anniversary, young fellah! 

This place has helped me find some people I can bond with. I’m not in WNY, so I don’t get that every day Bills stuff. I’m not complaining, at least it’s available now. There was a period before the internet where any Bills news was hard to find. 

A lot has changed. We’ve moved, changed jobs, retired (for me), had a couple grandchildren, started to travel and just generally starting to try to enjoy ourselves before we are too old to do it right. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Retired military here, so I have lived in about six places since my first TBD exposure.

IIRC, my first exposure was in the Summer of 1996, with an old 80386 Compaq computer, from a dingy hotel room on Route 301 in Bowie MD. Dial-up 9600 baud modem.  TBD was very new then and the forum software has advanced exponentially. I have lost prior usernames here at TSW.

In the meantime, I added 3 more children, bought/sold countless cars, bought/sold 3 houses, and got divorced from my starter wife.

Could you imagine if TBD/TSW were around during the Kelly/Levy Superbowl runs? That would have been epic.

• Like (+1) 1

Joined in 2006 so I was a junior in HS. Since then I attended two colleges (Le Moyne and UB) got my bachelors in Environmental Policy and psychology. 

Spent time in Yosemite National Park as an intern, that was a pretty sweet gig

Worked as an environmental educator in the Hudson Valley for a year

Went to school at RIT for my masters in Sustainability Systems. 

Have had 3 jobs since then and about to start a new one in a few weeks. 

Got Married 5 years ago in June and we just welcomed our second child yesterday actually. My son is 22 months and daughter is a day old 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm in the same job/role/home from 6 years ago when I joined.  But I felt joining here was the start of getting my mental health a little bit better on track.  One of my first of many Off The Wall threads on the site related to depression and anxiety which I got good feedback on.  Then I got the official diagnosis of autism.  I still struggle with a lot of things about that label but long story short I have a much better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Pretty cool to meet @BarleyNY in person and hang out with him a couple times as well 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Joined in 2006 so I was a junior in HS. Since then I attended two colleges (Le Moyne and UB) got my bachelors in Environmental Policy and psychology. 

Spent time in Yosemite National Park as an intern, that was a pretty sweet gig

Worked as an environmental educator in the Hudson Valley for a year

Went to school at RIT for my masters in Sustainability Systems. 

Have had 3 jobs since then and about to start a new one in a few weeks. 

Got Married 5 years ago in June and we just welcomed our second child yesterday actually. My son is 22 months and daughter is a day old 

The thread of you and your wife is OTW legend. I'm glad it worked out!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/10/2023 at 6:55 PM, boyst said:

Not only that, what do you first remember about the posters that will choose to post here.

If I recall correctly, some years ago you were dealing with (NC?) using eminent domain to take part of your farmland.  I grew up on a WNY farm myself (Bills fan ever since the Jack Kemp days as a kid), and I always wondered how that turned out for you.

As for me, I was still working when I began lurking here, but had already retired at a relatively young age by the time I formally joined in 2004.  The day came when I had to make a choice between my ethics and my job, and with the benefit of years of disciplined spending (OK, maybe I'm just cheap) and some decent investment decisions that gave me "walk away" money, I made a choice that I've never regretted.

When I later persuaded my significant other to also retire, she and I moved from a very large city to a small but rapidly growing one in a different state, where we built our retirement home.  I've been blessed with a good life partner, a couple good dogs (one at a time), and generally good health.  Somehow we both avoided Covid (the move to a small city probably helped).  We are enjoying life after we each spent many years in good but highly stressful jobs, and we both are enjoying the Bills' resurgence after many years of football frustration.  We've made lots of friends in our adopted city both separately and as a couple, and are hoping to travel a bit now that the pandemic seems to be fading.

God's been good to us, and we have a lot to be thankful for.

Go Bills ! ! !

• Like (+1) 1

Joined in 1997 or 1998.   On the old school message board.  Name was Toomstone.  Since lost the pw for that account and had to make a new one.  :( 

Got divorced

Switched Jobs and moved closer to home (been at this job 22 years) 

Remarried in 2014

Have two dogs, Basset hounds.  No kids 

Got older and fatter.      :) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think I've been here since 2017?  Well:

• Got divorced
  • Lost the family dog but adopted two others.
  • Bought two homes and one I'm leasing out.
  • Had back surgery.
  • Promoted once in Jiu Jitsu and about to be promoted again.
  • Got "promoted" at work.

You forgot lit a bong on cera during an online HR meeting

12 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

If I recall correctly, some years ago you were dealing with (NC?) using eminent domain to take part of your farmland.  I grew up on a WNY farm myself (Bills fan ever since the Jack Kemp days as a kid), and I always wondered how that turned out for you.

As for me, I was still working when I began lurking here, but had already retired at a relatively young age by the time I formally joined in 2004.  The day came when I had to make a choice between my ethics and my job, and with the benefit of years of disciplined spending (OK, maybe I'm just cheap) and some decent investment decisions that gave me "walk away" money, I made a choice that I've never regretted.

When I later persuaded my significant other to also retire, she and I moved from a very large city to a small but rapidly growing one in a different state, where we built our retirement home.  I've been blessed with a good life partner, a couple good dogs (one at a time), and generally good health.  Somehow we both avoided Covid (the move to a small city probably helped).  We are enjoying life after we each spent many years in good but highly stressful jobs, and we both are enjoying the Bills' resurgence after many years of football frustration.  We've made lots of friends in our adopted city both separately and as a couple, and are hoping to travel a bit now that the pandemic seems to be fading.

God's been good to us, and we have a lot to be thankful for.

Go Bills ! ! !

Your memory is correct. That was nearly 10 years ago. Long resolved for 6 figures and the new bridge is way fancy. The large scale project was dropped before it was 25% complete due to overspending by the fed gov on railways. No surprise there.

• Like (+1) 1

Member since 2002.  There was another board prior to this if I remember correctly.

Moved from Raleigh OH to Columbus OH

4 employers since moving. 2 due to "downsizing", other on my own

Been in the same house for 20 years

Divorced since 2016.  Happy being on my own.

Cancer survivor (melanoma)

Picked up cycling as a result of cancer

Traveled to France, Germany, China, Mexico for work and pleasure

Have DTV ST prior to / since moving to Columbus, need to covert to some form of streaming.  Not sure where to go.

Can't think of anything else, pretty basic life

• Like (+1) 1

Surprisingly little. Since 1998, when this site was called Hyperbills and was affiliated with the D&C, I moved from Rochester to NH. Became self-employed in 2004. Kids moved out.  Got older and more rickety. That's about it

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/11/2023 at 1:24 AM, Bad Things said:

What a great idea for a thread, Boyst.

I'm looking forward to reading what people have to say.

For me, I've been a coming here since day one, and was a member of whatever website preceded TBD.

Can someone remind me about the the message board before this one?  Was it on a local newspaper site? I only remember that it was early internet days, and I was psyched to be able to get up to date info and talk to fellow Bills fans, while living in Broncos territory.  Before that, I had to rely on the SHOUT! newspaper to arrive each week.)   

Anyway, I signed up in the late 90's.

Back then, I was newly married and living in Colorado.  (Born and raised in Rochester and moved to CO in 1990)

Since then...

• Son born
  • Moved family to Washington State
  • Daughter born
  • Moved family to New Zealand.

It's been over 17 years since we moved to NZ and both of the kids have now grown and moved out.  (Daughter in Uni.)

The wife and I are loving this latest stage of our lives, which we refer to as "Empty Nestin' ". 

When I think back to my Colorado days, it feels like it was another life ago.  So much has happened since then... births, deaths and other major life events, including the challenges of being an immigrant to a new land. 

Throughout all of the years and all of the events, there have been only a couple constants.  One, thankfully being Mrs Bad Things... another being TBD.

I honestly have no idea why/how this place can hold such a sway over me.  (Especially during some of the really bad drought years.)  Just about every damn day, I have to at least log in to see what's going on over here.

That said, thank you SDS and all of the moderators for everything you've done through the decades. 

You've help me waste countless "productive" hours of my life.   (Oh, to think of what I could've become, if TBD never came into my life...)

Let's go Buffalo!!!

Nice post. May I ask why you moved to NZ and if you would recommend it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/12/2023 at 9:48 PM, Augie said:

He’s not kidding. I can vouch for him on this one.   😋

Okay, @plenzmd1 didn’t like that, and I understand. I did not know him 20 years ago, so he is technically correct. However, if he was worse 20 years ago, I’m not sure how he got here. Of course, I have no idea how I got here! Dumb luck must have played a factor.

On the bright side, he has somehow managed to do a great job of raising part of the next generation of Bills fans, so he gets full credit for that. How he did it is a tale to tell, but he did it!

And somehow he is still a kid at heart, while most of them seem to have grown up just fine!  🤷‍♂️

I’m still working on it, as any who have met me know. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I first joined in the early 2000s. I posted updates about Kevin Everett's injury. 

Didn't post for the longest time. Then a bolt of lightning hit me, and I saw the angelic image of @Gugnytelling me I needed to post and drink. So I did both, and I haven't been happier! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.