Reinstate Matt Araiza

gjv

If I recall correctly, at the press conference for the release of Matt Araiza, McDermott said it was best for Matt to go home and clear his name. Matt, at the time, was proclaiming his innocence. Matt has gone home and has done exactly what McDermott suggested. We now know that Matt was falsely accused, and has been fully exonerated. Perhaps it's the right thing to do to bring Matt back and allow him to complete for the punter position.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 13
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

I've said it before that it's not enough to bring him back. The Pegulas need to have him debut riding a real live Buffalo onto the field of the stadium named after him where we will retire his number to the rafters pregame. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I tend to agree. it would seem the bills would be first in line to give him another opportunity? question is, how he may feel toward the organization? he hadn't even made the team yet so it was best to cut him as they did and allow him to clear matters up. where as had it been a seasoned vet, they wouldn't be as quick to cut him and may allowed the legal system work it out before letting him go? one has to wonder what kind of conversation coach had with him before his release and if they may of had thoughts of him coming back if he were interested after the smoke cleared?

tough deal for the kid and the organization as I'm sure he and they had high expectations of a career as their future punter.

Nobody is still going to touch him for a bit imo. The media circus over a punter won’t be worth it for most teams. He should jump into the XFL next year and show off his skills, let them take on the media attention and he’ll be able to sneak back into the NFL quietly as a camp invite. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

Would he want to play in Buffalo after they waived him?

38 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Nobody is still going to touch him for a bit imo. The media circus over a punter won’t be worth it for most teams. He should jump into the XFL next year and show off his skills, let them take on the media attention and he’ll be able to sneak back into the NFL quietly as a camp invite. 

I don't agree....there is no real controversy if the reporting yesterday is accurate.  If anything the public will be very sympathetic towards him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3

58 minutes ago, boyst said:

I've said it before that it's not enough to bring him back. The Pegulas need to have him debut riding a real live Buffalo onto the field of the stadium named after him where we will retire his number to the rafters pregame. 

Wait Highmark has rafters?

8 minutes ago, skibum said:

Don't worry, Cleveland will sign him to a long term deal for $50M guaranteed. 

Why?  Because he was falsely accused?

In your determination, is that what happened to Deshaun Watson?

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL can employ him. There are 32 teams that can sign him.  Unfortunately, or fortunately (however you choose to look at it) the position in Buffalo has been filled with a solid player. There isn't an opening here.

That leaves 31 other teams that are welcome to bring him in and I hope one does. Buffalo did what they did a year ago because at the time that was the best thing for all parties involved. Time to move on. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

An article that came out yesterday was highly favorable to Araiza………but………it was an article with second hand accounts…….not an official statement by anyone.  There won’t be any prosecution unless something very drastically changes so it does appear his name has been cleared from a criminal standpoint.  That said, it is pretty clear that the civil case is still pending and while it may seem baseless to many it still has the capability of being a hornet’s nest to any team signing him.  Every team has Tim Graham-esque beat reporters looking to get clicks by distorting things.  Graham’s example was the definition of “direct quote”, another set of reporters would likely use similar tactics.

Maybe a team will sign him now.  I doubt it.  If the case continues on its current trajectory I’d guess either 24 or 25.

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

An article that came out yesterday was highly favorable to Araiza………but………it was an article with second hand accounts…….not an official statement by anyone.  There won’t be any prosecution unless something very drastically changes so it does appear his name has been cleared from a criminal standpoint.  That said, it is pretty clear that the civil case is still pending and while it may seem baseless to many it still has the capability of being a hornet’s nest to any team signing him.  Every team has Tim Graham-esque beat reporters looking to get clicks by distorting things.  Graham’s example was the definition of “direct quote”, another set of reporters would likely use similar tactics.

Maybe a team will sign him now.  I doubt it.  If the case continues on its current trajectory I’d guess either 24 or 25.

this is ridiculous and you should be banned for this post. absolutely poor taste to claim Tim Graham is a reporter.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, boyst said:

So Highmark/Ariza Stadium is getting a temporary roof (with rafters) to hold us over until the new domed stadium is completed? 🤔 Sounds good to me!

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Reinstate? We released him. He’s been free to sign wherever he can. Also we have a very good punter signed for the next three seasons. 

I can understand a difference of moral opinion on what is the right thing for the Bills to do regarding Matt. However, not bringing in competition because an incumbent player has a contract flies in the face of roster improvement and the much-touted Bills philosophy of competition and earning a roster spot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1