Matt Araiza

SCBills

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Think about it from a practical standpoint.  The anti-Araiza people have staked out that position because they got snookered into this "believe women" business.  If we want to persuade those folks over to our side -- and I do -- we need to show them that you can support women while also supporting due process rights, including and especially the presumption of innocence.  People from all across the political spectrum, ranging from Ted Kennedy to Ronald Reagan, would have agreed that those two values belong together and should not be placed in conflict.

Don't love the second half of your post, but this is absolutely spot on.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Einstein said:

According to the accusers attorney, this thread is much to do about nothing.

He claims that the witness who said Araiza wasn’t present at the party at the time of the alleged rape is a "buddy" of his. 

This is another thing I was going to talk about. 

Everything being discussed in this thread was from the District Attorney's office regarding not pressing criminal charges.

The civil case has not gone away. The plaintiff's attorney is claiming that Araiza being cleared is from a friend providing an untrue alibi. 

That may be bs from a money chasing attorney. But until there is definitive proof in the form of video or geolocation exonerating him, those fears that it may be true will still exist amongst teams.

The civil case still exists. Until it is dropped or he is found innocent, a team isn't going to touch him. Just as the court of public opinion found him guilty, all that's happening right now is the court of public opinion finding him innocent.

A team isn't going to risk signing him and then he's found guilty or liable in the civil case. From a legal standpoint, not much has changed right now. And that's a massive factor in him being unemployed.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

This is another thing I was going to talk about. 

Everything being discussed in this thread was from the District Attorney's office regarding not pressing criminal charges.

The civil case has not gone away. The plaintiff's attorney is claiming that Araiza being cleared is from a friend providing an untrue alibi. 

That may be bs from a money chasing attorney. But until there is definitive proof in the form of video or geolocation exonerating him, those fears that it may be true will still exist amongst teams.

The civil case still exists. Until it is dropped or he is found innocent, a team isn't going to touch him. Just as the court of public opinion found him guilty, all that's happening right now is the court of public opinion finding him innocent.

A team isn't going to risk signing him and then he's found guilty or liable in the civil case.

A civil case should not be legitimate grounds to end a guy's career. The burden is lower for a very good reason. 

You are not found guilty in a civil case. You are found liable. 

3 hours ago, NUT said:

America used to be the land of second chances, but no longer. He will still be thought of as a rapist by a large portion of the populace. Facts don't matter anymore, only the narrative.

I think he’ll be thought of as the nfl punter that was falsely accused of rape.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Trust me, he is a wife. 

Can't you just go with the flow of my lame joke?  Someone right now is drafting an epic rant about gender identification and the downfall of western society and its all your fault.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

A civil case should not be legitimate grounds to end a guy's career. The burden is lower for a very good reason. 

I highly doubt a civil case will deter any team from signing Araiza at this point given the outcome of the criminal investigation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Can't you just go with the flow of my lame joke?  Someone right now is drafting an epic rant about gender identification and the downfall of western society and its all your fault.

I love being accused of bringing down western society. I live for it.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NUT said:

America used to be the land of second chances, but no longer. He will still be thought of as a rapist by a large portion of the populace. Facts don't matter anymore, only the narrative.

Kobe Bryant, Ray Lewis, and Ben Roethlisberger beg to differ.

• Like (+1) 3

Doesn't matter. Much like DeShaun Watson's Civil Cases, a team isn't going to sign a guy until they either get the cases dropped (or at the least, paid off) or they are found not liable.

His career will continue when he is found innocent/not liable. But until that happens, teams are going to wait before signing him. 

Err... the Browns traded for Watson BEFORE the civil cases settled. The trigger was the grand jury refusing to indict. Now he is a franchise QB. Araiza is a punter. So the same doesn't necessarily hold. But Watson was traded for within a week of the grandy jury decision.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

OJ smiles.

Just now, birdo67 said:

OJ smiles.

I am sure he does. But the reality is a civil trial is NOT a substitute for a criminal prosecution. To believe it is would be to misunderstand the law.

I don't. If that were the case, why wasn't he signed after the outcome of the criminal investigation or st any point this offseason? They determined they weren't going to press charges months ago.

Why was DeShaun Watson still suspended and untouchable until after he settled his lawsuits when he was cleared of criminal charges in March?

If Araiza loses the civil case, it will bring it all back up again and he'll appear guilty in a rape case. A team isn't going to want that and will wait until they're sure he's completely exonerated and all of this is behind him.

He wasn't.

Grand Jury chooses not to indict 11 March

Traded 18 March

Civil cases settled August

2 minutes ago, NUT said:

They are not great husband or father material?

Why?

10 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't. If that were the case, why wasn't he signed after the outcome of the criminal investigation or st any point this offseason? They determined they weren't going to press charges months ago.

Why was DeShaun Watson still suspended and untouchable until after he settled his lawsuits when he was cleared of criminal charges in March?

If Araiza loses the civil case, it will bring it all back up again and he'll appear guilty in a rape case. A team isn't going to want that and will wait until they're sure he's completely exonerated and all of this is behind him.

Watson was traded immediately after criminal charges were dropped and the civil lawsuits remained open.

https://www.nfl.com/news/texans-qb-deshaun-watson-expected-to-be-traded-to-browns

Trade discussions for Watson quickly materialized after a Harris County (Texas) grand jury on March 11 determined there was not enough evidence to charge Watson with a crime following allegations of sexual misconduct stemming from massage therapy sessions. Watson also faces 22 civil lawsuits. The 26-year-old remains under NFL investigation and is subject to potential discipline under the league's personal-conduct policy.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NUT said:

That was before social credit score system, I mean social media.

You made a "clever" reference to what the Communist system would do to them, even though they earned tens of millions of dollars after their unfounded accusations.

My apologies.

59 minutes ago, NUT said:

Why not? Women with bodycounts in the dozens before they hit 25 are not sluts? They certainly are not gf or wife material.

that’s your slut cutoff?  Why even have this dumb of a conversation.  

• Agree 1

1) The Bills should not have drafted him based on the drawn out justice system (which is a good justice system)

2) He'll latch on somewhere

3) He's not Jim Kelly or Josh Allen

4) Plenty of you are living and thinking in the 50s