Gabe Davis Off-season?

2 hours ago, Kaenon said:

The hate on Gabe on this forum is ridiculous.

How many other notably drafted WRs by the Bills went on to record 1950+ yards and 20 TDs in their first 3 seasons?

(4th) A. Reed? Yes on yards (2128), no on TDs (16)

(1st) Moulds? No (1942 yards, 11 TDs)

(2nd) Price? Yes on yards (2050), no on TDs (13)

(2nd) J. Reed? No

(1st) Evans? Yes on yards (2878), and yes on TDs (24)

(2nd) Parrish? No 

(2nd) Hardy? No 

(7th) S. Johnson? No

(3rd) TJ Graham? No 

(2nd) Woods? No

(3rd) Goodwin? No

(2 1sts) Watkins? Yes on yards (2459), no on TDs (17)

(2nd) Z. Jones? No

Statistically speaking, Davis's first 3 seasons are among the best of recent, modern-era NFL WRs drafted by the Buffalo Bills.

No small fact is that he has one of the best QBs on the planet throwing him the ball. I'd argue that Allen makes Gabe a lot better receiver than he really is. 

I think Davis on a team with an average offense would substantially drop off. 

Don't misunderstand what im saying here. I'm not saying Davis is a poor WR. I think he's an average WR2. I doubt he will be anything more than that. Of course, I can be wrong and hope to be wrong. 

However, it's pretty indisputable that Allen make Davis better. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he was a hot mess as WR2 last season.  He just shouldn't be that guy for a SB team.    If Kincaid can bring the juice they hope from the slot and Gabe's targets can be cut significantly he stands a much better chance of getting CB3 matchups and getting his efficiency numbers up while continuing to be a big play guy. 

I agree. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Everyone enjoy his last season as a Bill.  

Much like with Edmunds last year........yeah, that's the plan for the fan base.

Hope he has a big contract year and they get a comp pick for him and Shorter or someone else fills his role.

The Bills reportedly want to keep Davis long term, though.   And there is more smoke around that rumor than there ever was with Edmunds.

They really had much more reason to extend Edmunds LAST offseason if they had any real conviction to retain him long term.  His cap hit last year was large.

Davis?   He's dirt cheap.   Best to let it play out.   If he plays great and earns a Kirk+ kinda' deal......turn him into a comp pick.

If he's just slightly better than last year and none of the huSh brothers......Shakir, Sherfield or Shorter show for sh!t........then offer him an MVS type deal.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Much like with Edmunds last year........yeah, that's the plan for the fan base.

Hope he has a big contract year and they get a comp pick for him and Shorter or someone else fills his role.

The Bills reportedly want to keep Davis long term, though.   And there is more smoke around that rumor than there ever was with Edmunds.

They really had much more reason to extend Edmunds LAST offseason if they had any real conviction to retain him long term.  His cap hit last year was large.

Davis?   He's dirt cheap.   Best to let it play out.   If he plays great and earns a Kirk+ kinda' deal......turn him into a comp pick.

If he's just slightly better than last year and none of the huSh brothers......Shakir, Sherfield or Shorter show for sh!t........then offer him an MVS type deal.

huSh brothers is good.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Question for WR gurus: If Gabe has a "limited route tree", what routes does he not run well and why? Does he lack the ability to do hard change of direction on ins, outs, and comebacks?  Is he more of a deep corner/post/fly guy?  Can he only separate once he gets up to speed rather than separate quickly off the line?  If his route tree is limited, does he have the ability to improve/increase routes?  

Just wondering.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/8/2023 at 3:57 PM, Desert Bills Fan said:

Last year I recall hearing / seeing that Gabe was bulking up- being a gym rat.

anyone hear what he is doing this offseason?
would like to hear that he is working with Knox’s eye/hand coordination guru. And running a lot of routes, catching a lot of passes….in preparation for the breakout year he should have had last season.

Shopping at the Publix on N Alafaya north of Unniversity over by UCF. Chicken finger subs are the lalalalala bomba.

23 hours ago, Maynard said:

She has very nice hair, 

She has hair?

Edited by JDubya76

11 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Question for WR gurus: If Gabe has a "limited route tree", what routes does he not run well and why? Does he lack the ability to do hard change of direction on ins, outs, and comebacks?  Is he more of a deep corner/post/fly guy?  Can he only separate once he gets up to speed rather than separate quickly off the line?  If his route tree is limited, does he have the ability to improve/increase routes?  

Just wondering.

The wr gurus here read it somewhere. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he was a hot mess as WR2 last season.  He just shouldn't be that guy for a SB team.    If Kincaid can bring the juice they hope from the slot and Gabe's targets can be cut significantly he stands a much better chance of getting CB3 matchups and getting his efficiency numbers up while continuing to be a big play guy. 

He had some drops and a bad ankle. No excuses. Having said that his teammates suggest he’s super smart. I expect he responds particularly with a game stretching TE combo. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Just wondering.

I dunno if Gabe has a "limited route tree" or not.  I believe that was something Patrick Peterson said about him after he picked a ball Josh intended for Gabe.

You can look at the routes he was asked to run here

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/gabriel-davis/DAV329675/season

I personally think the stuff an opponent says about the team should be taken with a gram or two of salt.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno if Gabe has a "limited route tree" or not.  I believe that was something Patrick Peterson said about him after he picked a ball Josh intended for Gabe.

I personally think the stuff an opponent says about the team should be taken with a gram or two of salt.

Thanks for the link. Very informative when you compare vs Diggs and Beasley routes.  

I remembered the Peterson crack and didn't know what truth there was to it. Seems Gabe is most productive working the sideline.  Call it a tendency, his roll, or both (?).

On 5/8/2023 at 1:14 PM, Rc2catch said:

I am sure he’s putting in as much work as possible. He’s now playing for a contract and there’s a ton of money on the line. I’m sure he’s aware he needs a monster season and to be healthy in order to cash in next year. 

We'll see?  In theory he should be substantially better in his contract year, assuming no more ankle issues.  I'm still not sold we'll be extending him.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He said it about the play design. That’s on Dorsey and not Davis. By all accounts the Bills say Davis is very smart even as a rookie quickly picking up the play book. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/8/2023 at 3:57 PM, Desert Bills Fan said:

Last year I recall hearing / seeing that Gabe was bulking up- being a gym rat.

anyone hear what he is doing this offseason?
would like to hear that he is working with Knox’s eye/hand coordination guru. And running a lot of routes, catching a lot of passes….in preparation for the breakout year he should have had last season.

did Gabe add some bracelets with stick ‘‘em glue reservoirs in the off-season too?  Not sure that being a gym rat helps his game at all

11 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

He said it about the play design. That’s on Dorsey and not Davis. By all accounts the Bills say Davis is very smart even as a rookie quickly picking up the play book. 

There are fluid, dynamic route runners like Stefon Diggs who can run about any route and win.    Davis is a very different type of receiver.   He's a big, relatively mechanical mover who wins with buildup speed and long strides.    Factor in having a (chronically?) injured ankle/foot for 3 straight years now and you have a guy who is going to have a much more limited route tree to win with.     

• 2 weeks later...

Played right in front of Gabe yesterday at Harvest Hill and talked to him quite a bit in between holes. This guy could not be any nicer and he genuinely loves it here. He said it's all in Beane's hands so tough to say what happens. Mentioned that Allen is best golfer on the team but I guess we already knew that. I gave him a couple Bills Mafia golf balls and said I hope you are here for the long haul. Anyway, just a really nice guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Played right in front of Gabe yesterday at Harvest Hill and talked to him quite a bit in between holes. This guy could not be any nicer and he genuinely loves it here. He said it's all in Beane's hands so tough to say what happens. Mentioned that Allen is best golfer on the team but I guess we already knew that. I gave him a couple Bills Mafia golf balls and said I hope you are here for the long haul. Anyway, just a really nice guy.

Did he drop them? 😎

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.