Gabe Davis Off-season?

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Word on the street is he's been going to various concerts, sporting events, and theater productions.

All of those reps clapping at the end of performances are going to work wonders when the season begins and he is relied upon to use his patented clapping motion to clap touchdowns from Josh Allen. 100% true story from an insider who you don't know, so don't ask.

ORc.gif

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Shouldn't have affected his hands. He dropped as many as he caught.

Idk, if you have a bum ankle then you can’t get separation and you can’t cut well. Then your catches are in traffic and everything just gets harder.

32 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Idk, if you have a bum ankle then you can’t get separation and you can’t cut well. Then your catches are in traffic and everything just gets harder.

His ankle was hurt very early on the season. There are no indications that his ankle was still injuried in the latter part of the season and the playoffs.

Stop looking for excuses as to why he played mediocre. 

Gabe is a good feel good story. A late draft pick who works hard and is likeable. He's the kind of player Biffalo fans can really relate and gravitate towards. 

As a result, we fans often have narratives that fit our agenda. 

I want Gabe to excell and succeed. Who doesn't root for an underdog story, a hard worker, a team player, etc..

However, Gabe will likely never be elite due to his limitations. He can be a decent number 2 WR and an even better secondary WR. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I disagree. I think his ankle was fine towards the latter part of the year and the playoffs. 

Gabe just under preformed and his skill set is limited. I'm not sure why that's so hard for people to understand? 

More specifically, the guy is not explosive nor quick off the ball. This results in extra time for Gabe to create seperation. He has stiffer hips and this contributes to the above. Thus, you see much more down the field throws as a result.

Last year, he wasn't particularly good at contested catches and had too many drops. 

At best Gabe is an average number two receiver. Personally, I think the Bills can do much better. I would not pay this guy anywhere near 10 million plus a year. 

However, he has another year with lots of motivation to do better. This year should be ibteresting.

I disagree that his ankle was fine.   His gait was not right after plays even late in the season.  

What I KNOW wasn't hindered was his hearing.   He really did not like the "catch the damn ball Gabe" attitude of the rightfully disillusioned crowd behind the home bench.   It really pissed him off and he gave it back.   Hopefully he takes that experience to heart and works on closing the deal on the football this offseason.    

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Word on the street is he's been going to various concerts, sporting events, and theater productions.

All of those reps clapping at the end of performances are going to work wonders when the season begins and he is relied upon to use his patented clapping motion to clap touchdowns from Josh Allen. 100% true story from an insider who you don't know, so don't ask.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

His ankle was hurt very early on the season. There are no indications that his ankle was still injuried in the latter part of the season and the playoffs.

Stop looking for excuses as to why he played mediocre. 

Gabe is a good feel good story. A late draft pick who works hard and is likeable. He's the kind of player Biffalo fans can really relate and gravitate towards. 

As a result, we fans often have narratives that fit our agenda. 

I want Gabe to excell and succeed. Who doesn't root for an underdog story, a hard worker, a team player, etc..

However, Gabe will likely never be elite due to his limitations. He can be a decent number 2 WR and an even better secondary WR. 

Who’s making excuses? He’s had a bum ankle every year. If he can’t stay healthy and get separation then we should let him walk for sure and limit his playing time while he’s here.

I think the ankle affected him the whole season, unless he just has an absolutely bizarre gait.

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This is simply incorrect. Did he have an issue with drops? Yes. But to look at his targets v. catches is an incorrect metric in gauging his drops.

In a vacuum, he had 48 receptions on 92 targets.

But to really get an accurate figure, you need to look at his catchable target rate. His catchable target rate was 73.9% Meaning that just under 74% of his targets were deemed catchable. 

That means he really came down with 48 of 68 catchable balls. Making it 70.5% complete on target.

And even that metric doesn't mean he dropped 20 balls. The twenty balls he didn't come down with would include catchable balls being perfectly defended on.

He actually dropped 9 of those 20 catchable balls. His drop percentage was 9.7% Nowhere near the 50% many fans would like to claim. And of those 9 balls, it doesn't mean they all just hit him in the hands and he cleanly dropped them.

Long story short, he did drop some balls and it wasn't a great season, by and large. I think everyone agrees on that. 

But this idea that he dropped as many balls as he should have caught simply looking at 48 receptions on 92 targets is an oversimplified, incorrect method to say that he was worse than he was in a hyperbolic fashion.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/gabriel-davis/

https://buffalowdown.com/2023/02/13/4-players-not-meet-buffalo-bills-expectations-2022/2/

BBF, I wasn't being literal. I get catches vs. targets. So a bit flip, sure. Still his drops were a major issue, especially for a #2 WR. My guess is he's a true #3 or with our present wide out collection, a #2B.

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Hopefully wearing out JUGS machines.

I think the drops are a bit overblown. It's a bit concerning but certainly not an issue imo.

Alot of difficult catches he made and majority of drops were difficult as well. Hardy will take some reps from him on the outside,  hopefully he can improve a bit but overall I think Gabe is a legit 2a 2b

Edited by JerseyBills

This is simply incorrect. Did he have an issue with drops? Yes. But to look at his targets v. catches is an incorrect metric in gauging his drops.

But to really get an accurate figure, you need to look at his catchable target rate. His catchable target rate was 73.9% Meaning that just under 74% of his targets were deemed catchable. 

That means he really came down with 48 of 68 catchable balls. Making it 70.5% complete on target.

And even that metric doesn't mean he dropped 20 balls. The twenty balls he didn't come down with would include catchable balls being perfectly defended on.

He actually dropped 9 of those 20 catchable balls. His drop percentage was 9.7% Nowhere near the 50% many fans would like to claim. And of those 9 balls, it doesn't mean they all just hit him in the hands and he cleanly dropped them.

Long story short, he did drop some balls and it wasn't a great season, by and large. I think everyone agrees on that. 

But this idea that he dropped as many balls as he should have caught simply looking at 48 receptions on 92 targets is an oversimplified, incorrect method to say that he was worse than he was in a hyperbolic fashion.

https://buffalowdown.com/2023/02/13/4-players-not-meet-buffalo-bills-expectations-2022/2/

^^^^ This should be required reading.  Nice write up! 👍🏻

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

Who’s making excuses? He’s had a bum ankle every year. If he can’t stay healthy and get separation then we should let him walk for sure and limit his playing time while he’s here.

I think the ankle affected him the whole season, unless he just has an absolutely bizarre gait.

There were no indications that his ankle was bothering him in the latter part of the season. 

After the season and up to now there were no subsequent reports that his ankle was bothering him in the later portion of the season. 

You just have this idea without any evidence that his ankle was still hurt. 

Edited by newcam2012

Yeah of course anyone who dropped 50% of the passes thrown to them would be absurd.......like a QB completing only 25% of his passes over the course of a season..........you aren't saying anything remotely cogent with your attempt to make a point.........it's not really possible for an NFL player to be that bad over the course of many hundreds of snaps.    

What matters is his production relative to his peers and his near 10% drop rate was abysmal.  

Among the 50 most targeted WR in the NFL last season.......only Zay "Drop Zone" Jones had a higher drop %.   

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, msw2112 said:

For what it's worth, I think that Davis will work hard this offseason and come back and have a very strong season next year.  While I don't envision 4 TDs every game like he did in the KC playoff game, I do think he'll look more like the #2 everyone hoped he would be last season.  I think he has talent, he's a hard worker, he had a bit of a disappointing season last year, and he's in line to get paid soon.  It's a great confluence of events that should result in a strong season in 2023-24.

By the end of 2021, Davis was essentially the starting #2 WR, but he was surrounded by a much better slot guy in Beasley and Knox did more in 2021 too.  So likely coverage was shaded much more away from Davis that year compared to last.  In 2022 didn't get much of anything out of slot and O-line played worse so Knox was asked to stay in and block more.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I think the drops are a bit overblown. It's a bit concerning but certainly not an issue imo.

Alot of difficult catches he made and majority of drops were difficult as well. Hardy will take some reps from him on the outside,  hopefully he can improve a bit but overall I think Gabe is a legit 2a 2b

Anytime you are nearly the very worst in your category........as Gabe was in % of targets dropped.......it's not overblown.   

As I said.......he was a top 50 targeted WR because he was blessed to have JA17 as his QB and Stef Diggs as WR1 (and no competition for snaps).  

Among those receivers only the notoriously unsure-handed Zay Jones was worse at securing catchable passes.   9 drops can be 9 drives killed.   That's why it's a lot.  

There is also the issue of not being a good contested catch receiver.   Those are the "forgiven" drops.   He's very poor at those as well and just because those don't qualify as "drops" doesn't mean a WR2 shouldn't be catching a lot of those.    

All in all.......Gabe ranked 186th of 197 qualifying players in the NFL in catch %(51.6%).    Just a tick behind his speedier doppelgänger Marquez Valdes-Scantling (51.9%).

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah of course anyone who dropped 50% of the passes thrown to them would be absurd.......like a QB completing only 25% of his passes over the course of a season..........you aren't saying anything remotely cogent with your attempt to make a point.........it's not really possible for an NFL player to be that bad over the course of many hundreds of snaps.    

What matters is his production relative to his peers and his near 10% drop rate was abysmal.  

Among the 50 most targeted WR in the NFL last season.......only Zay "Drop Zone" Jones had a higher drop %.   

You would be surprised the amount of people who look at 48/92 and claim he dropped half of his passes or that all 92 targets were catchable.

6 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Last year I recall hearing / seeing that Gabe was bulking up- being a gym rat.

anyone hear what he is doing this offseason?
would like to hear that he is working with Knox’s eye/hand coordination guru. And running a lot of routes, catching a lot of passes….in preparation for the breakout year he should have had last season.

He was at UCF last month

16 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I am sure he’s putting in as much work as possible. He’s now playing for a contract and there’s a ton of money on the line. I’m sure he’s aware he needs a monster season and to be healthy in order to cash in next year. 

yep. same as Oliver.   They will both be great this year if healthy since they are in contract years.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.