Gabe Davis Off-season?

Last year I recall hearing / seeing that Gabe was bulking up- being a gym rat.

anyone hear what he is doing this offseason?
would like to hear that he is working with Knox’s eye/hand coordination guru. And running a lot of routes, catching a lot of passes….in preparation for the breakout year he should have had last season.

• Like (+1) 2

For what it's worth, I think that Davis will work hard this offseason and come back and have a very strong season next year.  While I don't envision 4 TDs every game like he did in the KC playoff game, I do think he'll look more like the #2 everyone hoped he would be last season.  I think he has talent, he's a hard worker, he had a bit of a disappointing season last year, and he's in line to get paid soon.  It's a great confluence of events that should result in a strong season in 2023-24.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 5

Hoping he heals his ankle (was it?) 100% before he does anything.

I had a “minimally displaced fracture” in my ankle in mid-November and x-rays were good in February, but the thing is still very sore after too much activity.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am sure he’s putting in as much work as possible. He’s now playing for a contract and there’s a ton of money on the line. I’m sure he’s aware he needs a monster season and to be healthy in order to cash in next year. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

For what it's worth, I think that Davis will work hard this offseason and come back and have a very strong season next year.  While I don't envision 4 TDs every game like he did in the KC playoff game, I do think he'll look more like the #2 everyone hoped he would be last season.  I think he has talent, he's a hard worker, he had a bit of a disappointing season last year, and he's in line to get paid soon.  It's a great confluence of events that should result in a strong season in 2023-24.

And that high ankle sprain didn’t help at all. But he was tough and fought thru it for the team. I’ll give him effort/toughness points for that. I’m expecting a big step up from last season if he stays healthy. Time will tell. 

2 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Shouldn't have affected his hands. He dropped as many as he caught.

This is simply incorrect. Did he have an issue with drops? Yes. But to look at his targets v. catches is an incorrect metric in gauging his drops.

In a vacuum, he had 48 receptions on 92 targets.

But to really get an accurate figure, you need to look at his catchable target rate. His catchable target rate was 73.9% Meaning that just under 74% of his targets were deemed catchable. 

That means he really came down with 48 of 68 catchable balls. Making it 70.5% complete on target.

And even that metric doesn't mean he dropped 20 balls. The twenty balls he didn't come down with would include catchable balls being perfectly defended on.

He actually dropped 9 of those 20 catchable balls. His drop percentage was 9.7% Nowhere near the 50% many fans would like to claim. And of those 9 balls, it doesn't mean they all just hit him in the hands and he cleanly dropped them.

Long story short, he did drop some balls and it wasn't a great season, by and large. I think everyone agrees on that. 

But this idea that he dropped as many balls as he should have caught simply looking at 48 receptions on 92 targets is an oversimplified, incorrect method to say that he was worse than he was in a hyperbolic fashion.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/gabriel-davis/

https://buffalowdown.com/2023/02/13/4-players-not-meet-buffalo-bills-expectations-2022/2/

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 9

Bulking up isn't usually beneficial to a receiver as it can limit flexibility and hinder your ability to contort your body to catch passes.

Hopefully, he focuses on flexibility and route running this offseason instead of adding muscle.

• Like (+1) 2

Word on the street is he's been going to various concerts, sporting events, and theater productions.

All of those reps clapping at the end of performances are going to work wonders when the season begins and he is relied upon to use his patented clapping motion to clap touchdowns from Josh Allen. 100% true story from an insider who you don't know, so don't ask.

• Vomit 1

All I can say is I like Davis, he has some potential, but for the love of god he is not cutout to catch the slant on Allen’s RPO. All you stat heads I would love to see his catch % on a RPO cause I know I screamed at my tv quite a few times 😂😂

Teammates are constantly calling the guy one of the hardest workers on the team. I don't know if anyone remembers the story but during the playoffs, Von brought in a replica Lombardi and set it up in the locker room with a sign that said, "You said you'd do anything for it." Gabe, who had just finished practice, saw the sign, turned around and went back into the fieldhouse and spent another hour on the JUGS machine. 

His ankle really limited him last year. He couldn't run more than a few specific routes and there were a couple bummer drops. But I think he's a solid player and if he's healthy all season we should see a lot more from him. He definitely gets way too much crap on this forum. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Ankle injury hurt his season. I don’t think he was ever fully healthy last year. 

I disagree. I think his ankle was fine towards the latter part of the year and the playoffs. 

Gabe just under preformed and his skill set is limited. I'm not sure why that's so hard for people to understand? 

More specifically, the guy is not explosive nor quick off the ball. This results in extra time for Gabe to create seperation. He has stiffer hips and this contributes to the above. Thus, you see much more down the field throws as a result.

Last year, he wasn't particularly good at contested catches and had too many drops. 

At best Gabe is an average number two receiver. Personally, I think the Bills can do much better. I would not pay this guy anywhere near 10 million plus a year. 

However, he has another year with lots of motivation to do better. This year should be ibteresting.

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.