If You Could Pick Any RB to Line Up Behind Josh

I'm surprised OJ isn't receiving more enthusiasm.  I remember watching games where he'd gain maybe 140 yards - a good day for any other back but pedestrian for him.  But there'd be two plays where he made some tremendous juke - or broke some tackle - and nearly broke a long one except for a desperate shoestring tackle.  And then there was a long run called back because of a penalty.  And another because he stepped out of bounds.  The 140 yards were nearly 200, maybe even 300 yards.  He was a threat to go the distance on every play.  

But the idea that maybe he wouldn't be the best fit for this offense has some validity.   I don't remember OJ being selfish, but you have to wonder how happy and productive he'd be playing in Dorsey's pass-first offense.  OJ did like being the center of attention.  And he seemed to be the kind of runner who did his best work when he got into a rhythm.  

And while I remember OJ being a good receiver out of the backfield, contrary to what some others may say, he was not a great pass-blocker.   And, in this O, backs need to block.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

I'm surprised OJ isn't receiving more enthusiasm.  I remember watching games where he'd gain maybe 140 yards - a good day for any other back but pedestrian for him.  But there'd be two plays where he made some tremendous juke - or broke some tackle - and nearly broke a long one except for a desperate shoestring tackle.  And then there was a long run called back because of a penalty.  And another because he stepped out of bounds.  The 140 yards were nearly 200, maybe even 300 yards.  He was a threat to go the distance on every play.  

But the idea that maybe he wouldn't be the best fit for this offense has some validity.   I don't remember OJ being selfish, but you have to wonder how happy and productive he'd be playing in Dorsey's pass-first offense.  OJ did like being the center of attention.  And he seemed to be the kind of runner who did his best work when he got into a rhythm.  

And while I remember OJ being a good receiver out of the backfield, contrary to what some others may say, he was not a great pass-blocker.   And, in this O, backs need to block.  

I think it’s because he’s a murderer and many people don’t like that?  They’d rather have a non murderer in the backfield.

personally, I’d take him.  He looked to be as special as special can be.  Wish I would’ve been able to watch him live and remember.

other than him-  I’ll take Adrian Peterson or Earl Campbell.   I love the violence in their running style.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Sanders was a delight to watch. He could cut on a dime and leave you 9 cents. 

Marion Motley was Jim Brown before Jim Brown was Jim Brown.

OJ, Cookie, Thurman -- all excellent in their different ways.

You have to be 80+to have watched motley with any real memory lol

you would’ve had to been 10 in 1946 lol

Edited by Buffalo716

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You have to be 80+to have watched motley with any real memory lol

you would’ve had to been 10 in 1946 lol

I am old but not that old. I have only seen Motley on film, not in person.

I do remember seeing the Colts' HB Buddy Young beat a race horse in a 50 yard dash! I think it was a Colts' preseason game in the 1950s.

Here's an interesting question: Who broke the color barrier in professional sports?

Not Jackie Robinson. Several black players played in the NFL (including Motley and Woody Strode who played the black gladiator in Spartacus (1960) before Robinson broke the color barrier in professional baseball.

Then there is Fritz Pollard who beoke the NFL color barrier before there was a color barrier. He was one of the first black RBs and the first black head coach, both in 1921.

• Like (+1) 1

For me it's barry Sanders and nobody is really close, Jim Brown was not in my era and Walter Payton was at the tail end of his career when I started watching. Barry Sanders was the greatest RB I have ever watched in person, live and I don't think I've seen anyone like him since, Tomlinson was really good but he was also playing behind a pretty awesome OL, Barry had Lomas Brown and a bunch of jags blocking for him and was still the best. 

Beane already brought in 2 that i have all the faith in going into this year he has finally got the big back that they have needed in Latavious Murray & the other being the RB from the Pats with Cook as the back to compliment the others i think they will be basically unstoppable ..

GO BILLS !! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.