If You Could Pick Any RB to Line Up Behind Josh

The draft is over and preseason hasn't begun so I find myself with weird offseason musings.  Today's useless speculation has to do with the Bills' running game.  I was wondering if I could pick any RB in history to start for the Bills this season, who would it be?

I think Jim Brown and OJ are the two greatest backs in history, so they'd be fun to see in the backfield with Josh.  Multipurpose Thurman would be great with this offense.  Even Cookie Gilchrist would be awesome.  Today's defenders are often smaller than the defenders of yore.  It's a passing league now.  Defensive schemes and players these days are better at coverage than stopping a battering ram.  I'd be cheering, "Lookie, Lookie, Here comes Cookie!" as Gilchrist ran over pint-sized nickel backs.  

But the guy who really jumped out of my memory was Earl Campbell.  If an opponent lined up in a nickel or dime to stop Josh, Earl would obliterate them.  Earl was such a strong, violent runner.  How would a modern defense stop both Earl and Josh?  I don't think any team could.  

As for current backs, I'd probably most want King Henry.  

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

Barry had the issue with dancing and not just hitting the hole.  I'd like a guy like Faulk or a prime Shady for a complete runner/receiver, or a big monstrous bruiser like Earl Campbell or Henry in his prime.  I wouldn't turn away 1990-1991 Thurman either.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

The draft is over and preseason hasn't begun so I find myself with weird offseason musings.  Today's useless speculation has to do with the Bills' running game.  I was wondering if I could pick any RB in history to start for the Bills this season, who would it be?

I think Jim Brown and OJ are the two greatest backs in history, so they'd be fun to see in the backfield with Josh.  Multipurpose Thurman would be great with this offense.  Even Cookie Gilchrist would be awesome.  Today's defenders are often smaller than the defenders of yore.  It's a passing league now.  Defensive schemes and players these days are better at coverage than stopping a battering ram.  I'd be cheering, "Lookie, Lookie, Here comes Cookie!" as Gilchrist ran over pint-sized nickel backs.  

But the guy who really jumped out of my memory was Earl Campbell.  If an opponent lined up in a nickel or dime to stop Josh, Earl would obliterate them.  Earl was such a strong, violent runner.  How would a modern defense stop both Earl and Josh?  I don't think any team could.  

As for current backs, I'd probably most want King Henry.  

Thoughts?

I’d take any of these greats to play on this offense. Todays gen I would take King Henry or Barkley all day and it would truly be unstoppable offense . 

This isn’t just the Homer part of me, I think Thurman would be excellent in this offense. 

Faulk too, I think he’s even said once if he was a Bill during that time they would’ve won a Super Bowl. 

Though maybe I’m misremembering, I do definitely remember him saying he would’ve loved to play in that offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.