Sunday Football non-football. Bills @ Dolphins ‘89 Opener + Jim Kelly show

Chandler#81

A true classic! Bills coming off a surprise season that ended in the Conference title game at Cincy. Thurman Thomas has wrested the starting RB from Robb Riddick -albeit via injury, but he would never relinquish it. Seesaw battle to the end -and What an Ending! Full game (sans final PAT) followed by The Jim Kelly Highlight Show with guest T.Thomas

Good copy. Enjoy!

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Another 1st time starter was at RT, where previous back up Howard ‘the House’ Ballard finally cracked the starting lineup. Later that season, he wiffed on a block at Indy and Kelly was injured and out for 3 games as a result. It was the beginning of the Bickering Bills, though Frank Reich would lead the team to 3 consecutive wins in Kelly’s absence. Also, Reed’s WR counter punch was Flip Johnson. Lofton would join the team later that year as the final piece to a great offense. 

Edited by Chandler#81

IIRC from hearing Kelly talking about that final play, it was not a called run, but he saw the Dolphins surprisingly playing off (sounds vaguely final drive Frasier-esque familiar 🤔) and took advantage of the hole in the defensive middle to punch it in…what a great awareness of the moment with time expiring! Thanks for posting OP. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I always heard about this game but never saw it. When I grew up, we just always beat Miami. Then I heard about the 70s 0 for and I get it. I believe this was the turning point. 

No, the turning point of the Bills Dolphins rivalry  was years before this game like the early 80s.  It was such a big game they tore the goal posts down and passed it up to Ralph Wilson's box before it ended up going over the side of the stadium (i think).

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No, the turning point of the Bills Dolphins rivalry  was years before this game like the early 80s.  It was such a big game they tore the goal posts down and passed it up to Ralph Wilson's box before it ended up going over the side of the stadium (i think).

Yes, they tossed it over the side.  I was 14-15 years old and selling pop and candy in the stands for a Drum & Bugle Corps I marched with back then.

If memory serves, it was taken and tossed over the end zone opposite of the scoreboard.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/7/2023 at 6:29 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Another 1st time starter was at RT, where previous back up Howard ‘the House’ Ballard finally cracked the starting lineup. Later that season, he wiffed on a block at Indy and Kelly was injured and out for 3 games as a result. It was the beginning of the Bickering Bills, though Frank Reich would lead the team to 3 consecutive wins in Kelly’s absence. Also, Reed’s WR counter punch was Flip Johnson. Lofton would join the team later that year as the final piece to a great offense. 

I met House Ballard at a function once about thirty years ago.  I can honestly say I've never met any human being larger than that.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.