Zach Ertz says he was almost a Bill

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/zach-ertz-says-he-was-close-to-becoming-a-buffalo-bill-in-2021-trade/article_a784aba2-ec36-11ed-bf27-3fc957f0a7c6.html

“I was getting traded out of Philadelphia,” Ertz said Saturday after accepting the 20th annual Call to Courage Award. “There were a couple teams extremely interested, Buffalo being one of them. It was almost a done deal, but it just didn’t get over the finish line.”

“We will never forget our time in Buffalo, and we still root for the Bills, especially now that we’re in the NFC,” he said of himself and his family. “As a fan of the Bills, I did love that pick of Kincaid."

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 14
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

"It was almost a done deal, but it just didn't get to the finish line" makes me wonder what happened.

Beane's not going to get to "done deal" territory and then not pull the trigger. I'd bet Phili got cold feet and upped their asking price in the 11th hour. 

Beane absolutely would be the one to not pull the trigger. He's so scared to "lose" on a deal. It always has to be "it's a good deal for us and them" type of agreement. He said on a podcast recently that there are GM's that try and win the deal so they don't look bad to the fans and he says he tries to avoid doing deals with them. The Eagles GM seems like the type of guy that enjoys winning deals. He's been quite a streak lately

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 4
  • Dislike 5

10 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Beane absolutely would be the one to not pull the trigger. He's so scared to "lose" on a deal. It always has to be "it's a good deal for us and them" type of agreement. He said on a podcast recently that there are GM's that try and win the deal so they don't look bad to the fans and he says he tries to avoid doing deals with them. The Eagles GM seems like the type of guy that enjoys winning deals. He's been quite a streak lately

What I'm saying is if it were "done deal" territory, then it would have happened. That would mean Beane was agreeable to the asking price. The only way that he'd back out is if the price was upped. He's a firm Poker player. He sets his price and doesn't budge from it. 

Either it was nowhere close to what Ertz is describing or Philadelphia changed the terms.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

What I'm saying is if it were "done deal" territory, then it would have happened. That would mean Beane was agreeable to the asking price. The only way that he'd back out is it the price was upped. He's a firm Poker player. He sets his price and doesn't budge from it. 

Either it was nowhere close to what Ertz is describing or Philadelphia changed the terms.

Gotcha. Yes I think Philly had to "win" that deal because Ertz was such a popular player.

If you guys read the article, someone on the Eagles side nixed the trade. Ertz wouldn’t say who, but Howie Rosenman is likely the culprit. Also, the second quote in the OP’s post belongs to Frank Reich. Should be edited to reflect that because right now it reads as Ertz’s words.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

“We will never forget our time in Buffalo, and we still root for the Bills, especially now that we’re in the NFC,” he said of himself and his family. “As a fan of the Bills, I did love that pick of Kincaid."

Frank Reich said that.  The article also had an odd quote from Reich saying that he should've started over Kelly in Super Bowl 27.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

That's a quote from Frank Reich in the article. 

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

If you guys read the article, someone on the Eagles side nixed the trade. Ertz wouldn’t say who, but Howie Rosenman is likely the culprit. Also, the second quote in the OP’s post belongs to Frank Reich. Should be edited to reflect that because right now it reads as Ertz’s words.

Thank you for the clarification.

👍

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Frank Reich said that.  The article also had an odd quote from Reich saying that he should've started over Kelly in Super Bowl 27.

Not sure which year that was, but the year Reich won the comeback game against Houston and the road playoff game at Pittsburgh, he had the hot hand and the Bills should have ridden it.  While it's true that Kelly started and won the AFCCG against Miami, the whole game was dump offs and screen passes.  He was nowhere near 100% and Reich was playing lights out.  That's where Parcells exceeds Levy (and I LOVE Marv).  Parcells was willing to keep the starter Simms on the bench and ride the hot hand of backup Hostettler to a SB Championship, but Levy didn't do the same (different years, but same era, similar circumstances).

If I have my playoff seasons mixed up, feel free to flame away... it's late, I'm tired, had a few adult beverages earlier, and I'm not going to look it up.  The point remains the same.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.