Isaiah Simmons might be an answer for the Bills at MLB

gjv

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Minor quibble is that they DID pick up his option. But obviously, that was because they didn't think Tremaine had earned his extension at what he was looking for from a contract perspective.  Similar to what Oliver is going to do next year.

Roquan Smith, who signed a bigger deal than Edmunds, only has a cap hit of $9M this year.  And folks like @Thurman#1 really think we desperately wanted him and just "couldn't afford him" lmao.

They prioritized Dawson Knox over Edmunds as well and they did so without seeing how he’d perform in Dorsey’s offense. Truth is, if they wanted Edmunds they could’ve just worked on a long term extension after or before picking up his option and they likely would’ve had him for far less than what the Bears paid. Despite the gushing you heard from 1BD, they just weren’t absolutely sold on him being a difference maker. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t know how player evaluations work. He was a nice player, that’s it. Not someone who’s worth $18M/yr.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mynamemike said:

100%.  If we had Von and a healthy Jordan Phillips on that line come playoffs I feel like it’s a different outcome.  

I really like the off-season we had, especially offensively. I feel more comfortable with McDermott having to make up for deficits on the defense than I do with Dorsey not having all the weapons at his disposal.  

I think if the D can stay a top ten unit which is entirely possible and the offense gets just a little bit more diverse with their game plans then we’re right back in the Super Bowl mix.

Don't forget that DaQuon Jones also missed the Bengals game.  When I saw he was inactive, I knew they were in trouble.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Minor quibble is that they DID pick up his option. But obviously, that was because they didn't think Tremaine had earned his extension at what he was looking for from a contract perspective.  Similar to what Oliver is going to do next year.

Roquan Smith, who signed a bigger deal than Edmunds, only has a cap hit of $9M this year.  And folks like @Thurman#1 really think we desperately wanted him and just "couldn't afford him" lmao.

Yep. There were ways to make it fit. I did a projection somewhere I will try and dig it out. I felt $18m AAV was top end of what they could realistically make fit looking at cap projections going forward, especially with $50m guaranteed, but they could do it. At $18m there was definitely some element of a value judgment. That is hard to deny IMO.

On 5/6/2023 at 2:48 PM, gjv said:

Isaiah Simmons has played the majority of his snaps at OLB and CB, but has played 508 snaps at MLB for the Cards. I would assume that's a sufficient sample size of plays at MLB for a reasonable evaluation. The Cardinals have declined his 5th-year option. Simmons' salary for next season is an affordable 1.4 mil with a cap hit of 6.5 mil. Should his 508 snaps at MLB show well, perhaps a trade for Simmons would be the Bill's answer at MLB for next season.?

LOL

• Like (+1) 1

Isaiah Simmons has played the majority of his snaps at OLB and CB, but has played 508 snaps at MLB for the Cards. I would assume that's a sufficient sample size of plays at MLB for a reasonable evaluation. The Cardinals have declined his 5th-year option. Simmons' salary for next season is an affordable 1.4 mil with a cap hit of 6.5 mil. Should his 508 snaps at MLB show well, perhaps a trade for Simmons would be the Bill's answer at MLB for next season.?

He was always traits over football player, maybe Indy should trade for him, add him to their freaks list 

5 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Khalil Mack played at Buffalo. Josh Allen played at Wyoming. Andre Reed played at Kutztown. Where you play in college is irrelevant. 

Not really. The best talent coming out of high school will almost always choose the big powerhouse schools. It's just the way it goes. It will likely be even more true with the new college changes. 

Of course, that doesn't mean that NFL players can't come from smaller less known schools. You pointed out some of many. 

Similarly, the big names and big schools doesn't equate to a lock as a good player in the NFL.

My point is Williams has a lot to prove and his outlook to be a stud ad you claimed are questionable. Some indicators against that are smaller football school, 3rd round pick, on the smaller side. 

I'm willing to bet you and many others never even heard of the guy prior to the Bills drafting him. Now, suddenly he's being proclaimed as a stud. Come on man let's wait and see if he even sees the field. 

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Not really. The best talent coming out of high school will almost always choose the big powerhouse schools. It's just the way it goes. It will likely be even more true with the new college changes. 

Of course, that doesn't mean that NFL players can't come from smaller less known schools. You pointed out some of many. 

Similarly, the big names and big schools doesn't equate to a lock as a good player in the NFL.

My point is Williams has a lot to prove and his outlook to be a stud ad you claimed are questionable. Some indicators against that are smaller football school, 3rd round pick, on the smaller side. 

I'm willing to bet you and many others never even heard of the guy prior to the Bills drafting him. Now, suddenly he's being proclaimed as a stud. Come on man let's wait and see if he even sees the field. 

I definitely had heard of him. I saw a number of Tulane games because I have a soft spot for the Green Wave. In addition, he was always sticking out as the best available on way too many mock draft simulations that I ran. After a while, I got annoyed and just ignored him, but I guess Beane decided to go ahead and take him anyway. On this board, the selection was initially met with almost universal disdain as a repeat of the Bernard pick. There was a corrective swing of the pendulum. Maybe it's gone too far, but I think he has a chance to develop into a good player. At minimum, I think he sees the field in some capacity.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I definitely had heard of him. I saw a number of Tulane games because I have a soft spot for the Green Wave. In addition, he was always sticking out as the best available on way to many mock draft simulations that I ran. After a while, I got annoyed and just ignored him, but I guess Beane decided to go ahead and take him anyway. On this board, the selection was initially met with almost universal disdain as a repeat of the Bernard pick. There was a corrective swing of the pendulum. Maybe it's gone too far, but I think he has a chance to develop into a good player. At minimum, I think he sees the field in some capacity.

He's got the raw tools.  Let's see how they develop him. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/8/2023 at 3:11 PM, Herb Nightly said:

I don't think he's an improvement  over what the Bills already have and I'm not infatuated with "versatility ". If you want a MLB go GET a MLB, not some hybrid who is not a MLB  

Depends what you want out of your MLB.  Seems like he fits what they’re looking for.  Fast, sideline to sideline with long arms.  

He may never be anything more than depth, but it looks like he and Spector are the best equipped athletes for the job on papa imo.  

like many have said- he weighs as much as and has longer arm Fred Warner.  About the same weight and slightly shorter arms than Shaquille Leonard. Weighs 6lbs less then and his arms are 1.5 inches longer than roquon smith.  While also being much faster than Warner and Leonard and same speed as smith.  

his size isn’t a problem.  Get stronger and hit the books.  Coaching and heart will determine this kids future imo.  He’s fine physically  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

On 5/8/2023 at 4:13 PM, newcam2012 said:

Wrong. I watched some Tulane games this past fall and he was very noticeable. You lose that bet…

Im a Penn state alum and there was moment last year that it looked like we would play Tulane in a New Years 6 bowl so I started watching Tulane to know what they were about. Very impressed by Williams. 

Edited by whorlnut
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s like having 3 QBs or 3 Goalies in hockey - means the Cards realize this dude can’t play any position to the level where it makes sense to pay to keep him.   In the games I’ve watched he is more inconsistent than Edmunds was. EZPass for me. 

I was intrigued in the pre draft broadcasts on the MLB position.  The old model is being changed at the collegiate level.  You are seeing smaller and faster MLB in college football.  This will translate to the pros.  The Jack Campbell model is being phased out.  The Bills may have realized that and McD will alter his defense accordingly.    We will see soon if this happens.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

I was intrigued in the pre draft broadcasts on the MLB position.  The old model is being changed at the collegiate level.  You are seeing smaller and faster MLB in college football.  This will translate to the pros.  The Jack Campbell model is being phased out.  The Bills may have realized that and McD will alter his defense accordingly.    We will see soon if this happens.

So 43 IS the mic?

800px-Bryan_Scott.JPG

6 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Wrong. I watched some Tulane games this past fall and he was very noticeable. You lose that bet…

Im a Penn state alum and there was moment last year that it looked like we would play Tulane in a New Years 6 bowl so I started watching Tulane to know what they were about. Very impressed by Williams. 

Ok. We will see how his game is on the NFL level. 

On 5/8/2023 at 4:49 AM, whorlnut said:

I just really couldn’t care less about MLB. It’s not what wins big games in this league.  Too many older fans still think it’s the “old days”. 

True. MLBs don't win big games. Nor do OLBs. Or DTs. Or DEs. Or Gs, Ts, RBs, etc. I guess you could maybe say QBs do.

But basically, it's not one guy. 

It's the team. True that MLBs don't win games. Nor does any one player, really. What MLBs do is contribute to the team, same as they all do.

• Eyeroll 1

On 5/8/2023 at 4:15 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

@Thurman#1 is one of the most consistently wrong posters I've ever seen on TSW.........he just defends what he thinks is the company line at the moment and opens every other response with a declaration of "nonsense" as if that adds gravity to his woeful takes. :lol:

It was simply a juice/squeeze decision.   They clearly could have backloaded his deal with no problem........and they would have if he had Logan Wilson level instincts and adaptability.   Hell they would have picked up his option if he did.   Tremaine is a mediocre processor in a Brian Urlacher-like body and the modest improvements he's made in that regard over time didn't justify the investment.

Well, I'll have to seriously study this. 

Because if anybody knows wrong, it's you. You're an extreme expert on it. And your post here certainly continues the trend.

I do indeed use "Nonsense" in some of my posts. A fairly small percentage, but when I do, the reason is really simple, it's because the post I'm responding to is nonsense. It really may be true that an awful lot of those posts are replies to you. That's more about the quality of your posts than anything else.

If it irritates you, stop posting nonsense. Like for example this nonsense.

Yeah, they clearly could have backloaded the deal. But as usual, you follow that with more nonsense. It's idiocy to think that backloading deals doesn't cause problems. It does. Backloaded or not, you still have to pay down the line. 

Our cap problems aren't only for this year. If you think so you're missing the point. Which would fit your usual pattern.

The Bills have $3M left in cap this year. The idea that they could just put off the problem is pure dumbage. In next year's cap, 2024, the Bills are already $26M OVER the cap. 

The Bears also backloaded the contract, giving him only $2.4M in salary this year. Yet he still has a cap hit this year of $14M. So that would put us $11M under the cap this year and force us to cut several guys or kick a bunch more cans down the road, putting yet more strain on future cap years. Tremaine's 2nd year, due to the backloading, will have a cap hit of $22M in 2024. That would have put us a total of $48M total under the cap in 2024, except that it would have been even worse. We'd have been over the cap about $12M this year, and that would have caused us to cut corners in personnel elsewhere this year or made us pump next year's overage yet higher, forcing re-negotiations and other forms of can-kicking.

Sorry, man, as usual, just a stupid idea. So, yeah, nonsense.

It ain't rocket science, though it does seem to look that way to some.

Beane has said straight out that they wanted him but couldn't afford him. 

They couldn't afford Tremaine.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/8/2023 at 2:32 AM, FireChans said:

This is is going to hurt for you to find out. But GM’s don’t trash players that leave in FA lol.

They could’ve afforded him. Obviously they didn’t want to do that with their salary cap situation. So they let him go,  because he wasn’t worth it to them lol

More nonsense. And by the way, why would it hurt me to see that you're wrong again? Doesn't hurt at all. 

You're pretending that they only have two options, trashing guys or saying what he said. Pure bunk.

This is the go-to argument for anyone who disagrees with Beane, pretend that Beane didn't have a choice except insulting a player or lying. The minute you see this argument you know you're seeing someone backed into a corner.

Beane can find a million options between those two. Could've said, "we love him but for our scheme we can't pay an MLB that kind of money." Could've said, "We're changing the scheme a bit and we felt can't value the position as highly." Could've said just, "We wanted to give him a chance tos ee what he could get on the open market." Could've said a million things.

Unfortunately for anyone desperately trying to push your narrative, what he said was really really clear. They wanted him back. But they knew his value simply wasn't something they could afford in their current cap situation.

Beane is willing to say things that aren't all that complimentary. No, he won't insult or trash people. But he's said things like saying about the tight end room that defenses didn't come into games worrying about how to game-plan our TEs. There are a million ways to professionally say that we could've kept the guy but didn't feel it was the right move for us at this time, and Beane is a terrific communicator and has done this kind of thing again and again. 

On 5/9/2023 at 7:42 AM, NewEra said:

Depends what you want out of your MLB.  Seems like he fits what they’re looking for.  Fast, sideline to sideline with long arms.  

He may never be anything more than depth, but it looks like he and Spector are the best equipped athletes for the job on papa imo.  

like many have said- he weighs as much as and has longer arm Fred Warner.  About the same weight and slightly shorter arms than Shaquille Leonard. Weighs 6lbs less then and his arms are 1.5 inches longer than roquon smith.  While also being much faster than Warner and Leonard and same speed as smith.  

his size isn’t a problem.  Get stronger and hit the books.  Coaching and heart will determine this kids future imo.  He’s fine physically  

I think this sounds like what they're saying.

That they think they have a guy who can handle things at an acceptable level, and maybe even develop beyond that.

They might turn out to be very wrong about that. If so, it'll be glaringly obvious before the year is up. But equally, they might turn out to have the right guy on the roster. 

I'm not convinced yet. But hoping I will be convinced as time passes.

Edited by Thurman#1

31 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Well, I'll have to seriously study this. 

Because if anybody knows wrong, it's you. You're an extreme expert on it. And your post here certainly continues the trend.

I do indeed use "Nonsense" in some of my posts. A fairly small percentage, but when I do, the reason is really simple, it's because the post I'm responding to is nonsense. It really may be true that an awful lot of those posts are replies to you. That's more about the quality of your posts than anything else.

If it irritates you, stop posting nonsense. Like for example this nonsense.

Yeah, they clearly could have backloaded the deal. But as usual, you follow that with more nonsense. It's idiocy to think that backloading deals doesn't cause problems. It does. Backloaded or not, you still have to pay down the line. 

Our cap problems aren't only for this year. If you think so you're missing the point. Which would fit your usual pattern.

The Bills have $3M left in cap this year. The idea that they could just put off the problem is pure dumbage. In next year's cap, 2024, the Bills are already $26M OVER the cap. 

The Bears also backloaded the contract, giving him only $2.4M in salary this year. Yet he still has a cap hit this year of $14M. So that would put us $11M under the cap this year and force us to cut several guys or kick a bunch more cans down the road, putting yet more strain on future cap years. Tremaine's 2nd year, due to the backloading, will have a cap hit of $22M in 2024. That would have put us a total of $48M total under the cap in 2024, except that it would have been even worse. We'd have been over the cap about $12M this year, and that would have caused us to cut corners in personnel elsewhere this year or made us pump next year's overage yet higher, forcing re-negotiations and other forms of can-kicking.

Sorry, man, as usual, just a stupid idea. So, yeah, nonsense.

It ain't rocket science, though it does seem to look that way to some.

Beane has said straight out that they wanted him but couldn't afford him. 

They couldn't afford Tremaine.

More nonsense. And by the way, why would it hurt me to see that you're wrong again? Doesn't hurt at all. 

You're pretending that they only have two options, trashing guys or saying what he said. Pure bunk.

This is the go-to argument for anyone who disagrees with Beane, pretend that Beane didn't have a choice except insulting a player or lying. The minute you see this argument you know you're seeing someone backed into a corner.

Beane can find a million options between those two. Could've said, "we love him but for our scheme we can't pay an MLB that kind of money." Could've said, "We're changing the scheme a bit and we felt can't value the position as highly." Could've said just, "We wanted to give him a chance tos ee what he could get on the open market." Could've said a million things.

Unfortunately for anyone desperately trying to push your narrative, what he said was really really clear. They wanted him back. But they knew his value simply wasn't something they could afford in their current cap situation.

Beane is willing to say things that aren't all that complimentary. No, he won't insult or trash people. But there are a millio

You repeat the same "nonsense" because you don't adapt.   

That's why you keep making the same mistakes wrt your rationale as well.

As for the math.........why do you keep doing this to yourself?   The Bills signed Von Miller to a 6 year $120M contract last offseason with $51M guaranteed.    His first year cap hit was just $5M.   Year 2?   Only $7.9M.  To say that the Bills couldn't have fit a young player under the cap who might actually play out a 6 year deal is.........what's the word I'm looking for?    Well,  let's just say it's clearly wrong. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.