Isaiah Simmons might be an answer for the Bills at MLB

gjv

No.  Because Edmunds was 6-5 does not mean they want another 6-5 lb.  Beane has said that someone Tremaines size has limitations.  They want to have two or three guys that are interchangeable.  I think before October Williams is the mike. 

On 5/6/2023 at 12:28 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

This.

They drafted Bernard with a 3rd last season. Beane wants to see if he can be the guy and get a return on the investment. They re-signed AJ Klein and Tyrel Dodson as insurance and doubled down in Drafting Dorian Williams (who can play both Middle and Outside).

Whether or not anyone thinks that's enough - that's what he's done with the position. A Draft Pick last year, 2 re-signings, and another Draft pick this year. He's addressed MLB a lot more than people think.

Posters are acting like Kylo Ren with the "more, more, MORE!" meme across the board. Asking for a top DE, a MLB trade, a WR trade, an OT, a Center, and/or another QB.

At this stage, after the Poona Ford and Latavius Murray signings, we need to come up with some money, again, after scraping the well over and over already, just to sign our Draft Picks.

Maybe there's a small finishing touch for depth here or there. But until we do something like an extension or two at DT - I wouldn't expect much, if anything more.

Is this roster Super Bowl bound? 

On 5/6/2023 at 2:02 PM, whorlnut said:

I really don’t understand why some people are calling Beane a liar just because they don’t share the same opinion. Beane has said over and over that they might have the replacement in house. He also talked glowingly about brown and also about adding a “pass catcher” that might not be a WR. It’s time to face the music people…Beane is happy with who he has at MLB. Get over it. 

Not so sure about this. I think Beane and fans are rightly concerned about the LB position. Let's be honest none if the guys on the current roster are proven or looked very good when they had small opportunities. 

Beane is obviously not going set off any alarm bells here. Also, he did draft Bernard so he's likely to stand by him for the moment. 

The board fell where better selections were found other than the LB position. 

I don't think it's accurate to say Beane is happy with who he's got at MLB. I think he's more hopeful than anything. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Not so sure about this. I think Beane and fans are rightly concerned about the LB position. Let's be honest none if the guys on the current roster are proven or looked very good when they had small opportunities. 

Beane is obviously not going set off any alarm bells here. Also, he did draft Bernard so he's likely to stand by him for the moment. 

I think it's accurate to say Beane is happy with who he's got at MLB. I think he's more hopeful than anything. 

I think my main point is that MLB isn’t a premium position and isn’t gonna be what makes or breaks us in 2023. We have enough. It’s up to McD to coach them up and use them as intended. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Is this roster Super Bowl bound? 

I think our roster makeup wasn't the main issue for our team not making it to the Super Bowl last season. It was injuries and insane circumstances being too much to overcome. That said, I think the roster is in better shape than it was last season.

- We didn't have RB's for every situation. Singletary, Cook, and Hines were all very similar backs. With the additions of Damien Harris and Latavius Murray - our RB core is diversified.

- Our Pass Catchers were lacking beyond Diggs, Davis, and Knox.  When Davis got banged up and Crowder went down, we had to do things like trot out Jake Kumerow and sign guys who were toast like Brown and Beasley.

With the additions of Kincaid (who will be more WR than TE), Harty, Sherfield, and Shorter (as well as Shakir with the training wheels off), we're in a much better position of depth and taking pressure off Diggs.

- Our Interior OL was a liability. Bates was fine, but between Saffold's play and Morse's injuries (which had us playing Greg Van Roten on the line) - the middle of the line was a massive problem.

With Saffold and Van Roten gone and the additions of McGovern, Torrence, and Edwards - we now have 4 starting quality Guards. If Morse is to go down, Bates will play with Torrence or Edwards next to him. This will help in the run game and protection massively.

- Injuries and lack of depth ravaged our D-Line's ability to stop the run. Miller will return from injury this season. Jordan Phillips was a very good run stuffer. But he was injured too frequently. Now we have him back and if he's injured again, we've added solid run stuffer Poona Ford to the mix of what we had last season.

- Safety was a massive problem. When you lose Micah Hyde for the year early in the season, you're behind the 8 Ball. Especially when there's a massive drop off in talent between your starters and your backups. And especially with Poyer than getting injured and what happened to Hamlin. 

This season we get Poyer and Hyde back 100% And now if we lose one of them, we have Taylor Rapp coming into the Lineup, who is an accomplished Starter - as opposed to times last season where we were rolling out Cam Lewis and Dean Marlowe.

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think it's accurate to say Beane is happy with who he's got at MLB. I think he's more hopeful than anything. 

I don't think it's accurate to say Beane is concerned about MLB. Fans are worried.

But Beane's actions in FA and the Draft juxtaposed with what he's said everytime it's brought up says he's done what he wants to do there.

He drafted Bernard with a Day 2 pick last year. He wants to see if that investment pays dividends. He signed AJ Klein and Tyrel Dodson back as vet insurance. Then he Drafted Dorian Williams in the 3rd this year, who has the flexibility to play both Outside and Inside.

If he planned on doing more than what he's done, he'd have done it already. And if he didn't like Williams in the Draft, he'd have either moved up from the 3rd to get a Drew Sanders or a Trent Simpson or not drafted Williams at all.

Again, I think MLB is just where Beane wants it this year. It's fans that are worried about it.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

I think my main point is that MLB isn’t a premium position and isn’t gonna be what makes or breaks us in 2023. We have enough. It’s up to McD to coach them up and use them as intended. 

I hear you. Time will tell if MLB position becomes a liability. Perhaps, one if the players is up to the task and plays well. Best case scenario. Or McD can scheme well and limit the weakness. 

As a fan, the MLB position is a concern though. I really thought they would be someone in or draft a MLB. Perhaps Dorian is the answer but Beane stated he will play on the outside. Obviously, Beane and McD know more than me. 

Edited by newcam2012

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think our roster makeup wasn't the main issue for our team last season. It was injuries and insane circumstances being too much to overcome. That said, I think the roster is in better shape than it was last season.

- We didn't have RB's for every situation. Singletary, Cook, and Hines were all very similar backs. With the additions of Damien Harris and Latavius Murray - our RB core is diversified.

- Our Pass Catchers were lacking beyond Diggs, Davis, and Knox.  When Davis got banged up and Crowder went down, we had to do things like trot out Jake Kumerow and sign guys who were toast like Brown and Beasley.

With the additions of Kincaid (who will be more WR than TE), Harty, Sherfield, and Shorter (as well as Shakir with the training wheels off), we're in a much better position of depth and taking pressure off Diggs.

- Our Interior OL was a liability. Bates was fine, but between Saffold's play and Morse's injuries (which had us playing Greg Van Roten on the line) - the middle of the line was a massive problem.

With Saffold and Van Roten gone and the additions of McGovern, Torrence, and Edwards - we now have 4 starting quality Guards. If Morse is to go down, Bates will play with Torrence or Edwards next to him. This will help in the run game and protection massively.

- Injuries and lack of depth ravaged our D-Line's ability to stop the run. Miller will return from injury this season. Jordan Phillips was a very good run stuffer. But he was injured too frequently. Now we have him back and if he's injured again, we've added solid run stuffer Poona Ford to the mix of what we had last season.

- Safety was a massive problem. When you lose Micah Hyde for the year early in the season, you're behind the 8 Ball. Especially when there's a massive drop off in talent between your starters and your backups. And especially with Poyer than getting injured and what happened to Hamlin. 

This season we get Poyer and Hyde back 100% And now if we lose one of them, we have Taylor Rapp coming into the Lineup, who is an accomplished Starter - as opposed to times last season where we were rolling out Cam Lewis and Dean Marlowe.

I don't think it's accurate to say Beane is concerned about MLB. Fans are worried.

But Beane's actions in FA and the Draft juxtaposed with what he's said everyone it's brought up says he's done what he wants to do there.

He drafted Bernard with a Day 2 pick last year. He wants to see if that investment pays dividends. He signed AJ Klein and Tyrel Dodson back as vet insurance. Then he Drafted Dorian Williams in the 3rd this year, who has the flexibility to play both Outside and Inside.

If he planned on doing more than what he's done, he'd have done it already. And if he didn't like Williams in the Draft, he'd have either moved up from the 3rd to get a Drew Sanders or a Trent Simpson or not drafted Williams at all.

Again, I think MLB is just where Beane wants it this year. It's fans that are worried about it.

Nice breakdown on the roster. I too think this year's roster is better.

A lot of guys have to improve and get more opportunities to do so. Cook, Shakir, Brown, Torrance, etc...

Two things that concern me as a fan are injuries and coaching. Hopefully, the Bills won't sustain big time injuries like last year. 

The coaching staff has to be better. Especially come playoff time assuming the Bills make it there. 

FWIW I listened to the PFF podcast on 5th year options and Simmons was discussed. They thought that AZ made a mistake by trying to make him an off-the-ball LBer. They said that it often takes 4-6 years for college players who were already playing that position to adapt to the NFL. That is largely due to the massive amount of information that met have to process very, very quickly to be effective. So moving Simmons there was not something that was likely to succeed. They think he’s best as the SS in a C-3 or as a Big Nickel Slot. That obviously would take him out of consideration for the Bills. 

On a side note, Edmunds was not mentioned, but he certainly fits their analysis. It took him until year 5 for him to take the step up we were hoping for. It also indicates that a good team strategy with off-the-ball LBers is to look for vets in FA that are 5 or 6 seasons in and look ready to make that step forward. It also points toward Edmunds sustaining his step forward last season and maybe even growing further. 

45 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

FWIW I listened to the PFF podcast on 5th year options and Simmons was discussed. They thought that AZ made a mistake by trying to make him an off-the-ball LBer. They said that it often takes 4-6 years for college players who were already playing that position to adapt to the NFL. That is largely due to the massive amount of information that met have to process very, very quickly to be effective. So moving Simmons there was not something that was likely to succeed. They think he’s best as the SS in a C-3 or as a Big Nickel Slot. That obviously would take him out of consideration for the Bills. 

On a side note, Edmunds was not mentioned, but he certainly fits their analysis. It took him until year 5 for him to take the step up we were hoping for. It also indicates that a good team strategy with off-the-ball LBers is to look for vets in FA that are 5 or 6 seasons in and look ready to make that step forward. It also points toward Edmunds sustaining his step forward last season and maybe even growing further. 

Yup I said that earlier his best position is a big ass safety probably in sub packages 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Nice breakdown on the roster. I too think this year's roster is better.

A lot of guys have to improve and get more opportunities to do so. Cook, Shakir, Brown, Torrance, etc...

Two things that concern me as a fan are injuries and coaching. Hopefully, the Bills won't sustain big time injuries like last year. 

The coaching staff has to be better. Especially come playoff time assuming the Bills make it there. 

Before last season started, I remember saying time and again "the only thing that can stop us is injuries". I truly felt that losing Tre to an ACL injury was the difference between us going to the Super Bowl and dropping to the Chiefs in the fashion we did. With him at 100%, I feel, it wouldn't have come down to :13 seconds.

When Micah went down when he did, I immediately thought "that could be the difference between making the Super Bowl and not". Then it seemed every single week, we were losing someone. When we'd get someone back, we'd lose someone else. 

We went from being relatively healthy for years to completely snake bitten last season. It's a miracle we performed as well as we did with all the injuries. And when Von went down for the year before the playoffs, I remember saying "it's over".

Then Damar Hamlin happened and I think what that did to our team mentally cannot be understated. All that said, I still expected a better end than what we got.

The good news is - this season our depth is better pretty much across the board to handle a situation like we had last year. I sincerely hope we are luckier than we were last season. It would be insane if it were worse.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

It definitely is

I just can't get over his instincts.  I feel like they’re off the charts and will translate very well to the NFL 

I'd temper my expectations a bit. He played at Tulane for a reason. Not exactly a powerhouse SEC school. He's also pretty light for a MLB in the NFL. He was a 3rd round pick for a reason as well. 

Lots to like but he has a lot to prove and overcome too. I'm gonna see how he develops and plays before I crown him the next stud or dud. 

• Dislike 1

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

@Thurman#1 is one of the most consistently wrong posters I've ever seen on TSW.........he just defends what he thinks is the company line at the moment and opens every other response with a declaration of "nonsense" as if that adds gravity to his woeful takes. :lol:

It was simply a juice/squeeze decision.   They clearly could have backloaded his deal with no problem........and they would have if he had Logan Wilson level instincts and adaptability.   Hell they would have picked up his option if he did.   Tremaine is a mediocre processor in a Brian Urlacher-like body and the modest improvements he's made in that regard over time didn't justify the investment.

Minor quibble is that they DID pick up his option. But obviously, that was because they didn't think Tremaine had earned his extension at what he was looking for from a contract perspective.  Similar to what Oliver is going to do next year.

Roquan Smith, who signed a bigger deal than Edmunds, only has a cap hit of $9M this year.  And folks like @Thurman#1 really think we desperately wanted him and just "couldn't afford him" lmao.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd temper my expectations a bit. He played at Tulane for a reason. Not exactly a powerhouse SEC school. He's also pretty light for a MLB in the NFL. He was a 3rd round pick for a reason as well. 

Lots to like but he has a lot to prove and overcome too. I'm gonna see how he develops and plays before I crown him the next stud or dud. 

Khalil Mack played at Buffalo. Josh Allen played at Wyoming. Andre Reed played at Kutztown. Where you play in college is irrelevant. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

16 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think our roster makeup wasn't the main issue for our team not making it to the Super Bowl last season. It was injuries and insane circumstances being too much to overcome. That said, I think the roster is in better shape than it was last season.

But Beane's actions in FA and the Draft juxtaposed with what he's said everytime it's brought up says he's done what he wants to do there.

100%.  If we had Von and a healthy Jordan Phillips on that line come playoffs I feel like it’s a different outcome.  

I really like the off-season we had, especially offensively. I feel more comfortable with McDermott having to make up for deficits on the defense than I do with Dorsey not having all the weapons at his disposal.  

I think if the D can stay a top ten unit which is entirely possible and the offense gets just a little bit more diverse with their game plans then we’re right back in the Super Bowl mix.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.