Beane on Jim Rome show

DCbillsfan

21 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I guess the secret to becoming a nationally syndicated radio host is having literally no one like you or listen to you … who knew? 😂

Usually the more off-base and polarizing you can be is the best approach.

17 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe because I'm a Boiler, this bugged me when it happened.  Rome's behavior was absolutely classless, and I've never watched him since.  

I've never associated Rome with "class" regardless.

• Like (+1) 1

I met Jim Rome before his show went national when he broke in radio on XTRA sports 690 here in san diego. He would host "world tour stops" and had one at a place called Moondoggies in La Jolla. Hubby was out of town on a business trip so I decided to make a day of taking the kiddos to the beach and then to the place for lunch.

Not very many people were there. He saw me there with my kids so dropped by and slid into the booth with my 3 year old daughter. Me across from him with my son. She did NOT like the looks of him and appreciate he moving in to sit next to her. She proceeded to kick him  and gave me her best klingon stare and he's like "whoaaaa take it easyyyyy".....Im like apologizing and he says "No it's allright, she's tough. I can respect that" LOL

so I tell my friends that even my daughter could kick Jim Romes *** and she was only 3.

true story. Circa 1990. His first daytime radio gig

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 4

That's a great story.  Some guys are very cool and down to earth off-camera, while having a completely different persona on the air.  Glad to hear that Rome might be pretty cool in person.  (That said, your story was from before he hit the big time, so maybe he's changed for the worse).

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, msw2112 said:

That's a great story.  Some guys are very cool and down to earth off-camera, while having a completely different persona on the air.  Glad to hear that Rome might be pretty cool in person.  (That said, your story was from before he hit the big time, so maybe he's changed for the worse).

okay one last Jim Rome story only because I shared the earlier not a lamp post.

Back then I followed the Bills as best I could. When JR first came out I thought he was radical kind of a unique and EXTREMELY Intelligent individual. And the ladies line meant I didn't have to wait to go on the air. They barely call screened you back then either. 

I called in several times and it was a mixed bag . You can either be exalted or verbally curb stomped by that guy depending on if you too had game and be able to quip and talk his lingo. I won a Hu-hu-hu-hu-GE  call of the day AND got a t-shirt which had the word HUGE as the logo  once  🙂

Now I watch his interviews and I will admit I respect him. I think he has grown Up. And from those humble beginnings went on to fame and fortune. I applaud him for that! 

His schtick wasnt what I appreciated about him. It was his intellect. I tried to look past the obnoxious overly Produced canned sound effects  crap

After he left the station here he fell off my radar #memorylane

Edited by muppy

12 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I met a guy in LA years ago, but can’t remember his name, that did a show from a bar/restaurant.  I always had an interest in doing something about sports, so I talked to him about it and he actually spent some time with me til he had to get ready for his show.

He basically told me the best way to get into the business was to come up with a unique schtick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.