CBS 2023 QB Power Rankings

BarleyNY

Mahomes

Allen

Everyone else you won’t automatically turn on the TV for if they’re playing.   

Not letting any recency bias interfere.   

Allen has had NOTHING CLOSE to the weapons Burrow, Tua, Hurts, and even Herbert have had.  Those guys have elite olines and elite WRs and RBs.  

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Until Josh beats Burrow, he should remain 3. But you have to factor in Burrow's 2 receivers.  For now I'd put Hurts at 4.  Herbert has to prove he can win a playoff game and after 2 playoff games, Lawrence's ratingis only 72.  Rodgers is too high and Tua is too low.  Pickett is also too low.

Josh doesn't play Burrow.  He plays against Cincy's D, and Burrow plays against the Bills D.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Until Josh beats Burrow, he should remain 3. But you have to factor in Burrow's 2 receivers.  For now I'd put Hurts at 4.  Herbert has to prove he can win a playoff game and after 2 playoff games, Lawrence's ratingis only 72.  Rodgers is too high and Tua is too low.  Pickett is also too low.

You do realize that they have only played each other once right? One game is hardly a reason to have one QB over another. Now if Burrow was 3-0 or 4-0 against Josh (and his stats were always better), maybe you'd have a case, but he's not. He's 1-0. And we all know that Josh had a bad game vs. Cincy in the playoffs (the whole team did), and yet here are their stats for that game:

[combined yds and TDs]

Burrow 273 yards 2 TDs 0 INTs

Allen 290 yards 1 TD 1 INT

Not a huge difference.

And you can hardly use the Damar game as any type of decider (or count it as an automatic Burrow/Cincy win, as many seem to do). Josh had thrown a total of 6 passes and Burrow a total of 4 passes when the game was called.

• Like (+1) 1

Derek Carr is way too low.

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Mahomes

Allen

Everyone else you won’t automatically turn on the TV for if they’re playing.   

Not letting any recency bias interfere.   

Allen has had NOTHING CLOSE to the weapons Burrow, Tua, Hurts, and even Herbert have had.  Those guys have elite olines and elite WRs and RBs.  

Actually Herbert is a must watch tv guy for me too. I don't think he is as good as Mahomes, Allen or Burrow but his games always seem to have drama. 

I always view the QB position as who gives d-coordinators nightmares at night because of their skill set.  Not their surrounding weapons.

1.)  Mahomes

2.)  Allen

3.)  Burrow

4.)  Herbert

5.)  Lamar 

6.)  Rodgers

7.)  Hurts

8.)  Lawrence

9.)  Murray (when healthy)

10.)  Stafford (when healthy)

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Hurts and Burrow have more quality offensive weapons. They have better O lines, yes O lineman are weapons as well.

And dare I say the Bengals and Eagles have better coaching as well.

Mahomes and Allen are the top all around QBs regarding skillset. 

Passing/Accuracy/Rushing/

Evasiveness/Awareness/Toughness/Durability/Strength/Leadership/

Intelligence. 

They may not be the best in all traits but unlike the other QBS they uber competent in all of them.

Of course it's JMHO.

Burrow has better weapons than Allen, but come on man his line has almost gotten him killed every year! That O be downright scary if he had an O line! 

Coaching is subjective, and everyone thinks their coach is not that good unless he wins the SB. 

Mahomes, Allen, and Burrows are the top 3 QBs in whatever order you like. Hurt is a one year wonder right now. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-qb-power-rankings-lamar-jackson-aaron-rodgers-both-crack-top-10-in-first-rundown-of-all-32-starters/

I can certainly quibble with some of the rankings, but that isn’t what was so surprising. What really shocks me is not how bad that list gets, but how quickly it gets so bad.

Analytics sites often stress the importance of having a top 8 QB in the league - or even a QB capable of being in the top 8 some years. That list very vividly illustrates why that is. I’m not sure there are more than 8 QBs in this league I’d want. It also shows you why Baltimore paid what they did for Lamar and why even the Geno Smiths and Daniel Joneses of the league get paid so well. Yikes. 

Note: Yes, I’m ecstatic that we are lucky enough to have one of those top QBs. 

When it comes to Lamar...there are a lot of people that say he's not a top 10 QB in the NFL. Thing is, he is...but it has a lot more to do with the level of QB play than it does about his skill to play QB. 

That list has Watson at 10. Personal opinion about the person aside, what did he show as a player last year (after being moth balled the previous year) that even suggests he's in the convo for top 20 QBs? He was awful.

Danny Dimes threw a whopping 15 TDs was it last year? Yet he's on the list as above the middle of the pack. I don't think there has been a period of mediocre starting QBs in the NFL like this in a long time. 

On 5/6/2023 at 12:41 AM, Doc Brown said:

I always view the QB position as who gives d-coordinators nightmares at night because of their skill set.  Not their surrounding weapons.

1.)  Mahomes

2.)  Allen

3.)  Burrow

4.)  Herbert

5.)  Lamar 

6.)  Rodgers

7.)  Hurts

8.)  Lawrence

9.)  Murray (when healthy)

10.)  Stafford (when healthy)

This is a pretty solid list. Probably closely aligns with my top 10. Lamar should come with a (when healthy) tag as well. But when he is healthy, he slots somewhere around 5.  Rodgers is TBD. He could be top 3 still or fall out of the top 10. I'm betting he is closer to top three, but we will see. 

On 5/6/2023 at 6:49 AM, PatsFanNH said:

Burrow has better weapons than Allen, but come on man his line has almost gotten him killed every year! That O be downright scary if he had an O line! 

He's got a couple good pieces on the o-line but they've been injured. When fully healthy the chargers o-line is probably better than the Bills, but that seems to be far and few in between. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/5/2023 at 11:06 AM, PatsFanNH said:

Stop listening to delusional Pats fans! IMO O’Brien will hopefully correct what went terribly wrong last year and hopefully a small jump from his rookie year.. (which would be a huge leap.. from 2022 lol) 

I think he is probably closer to 20 than 29 like this ranking has… putting QBS up that high who haven’t played a down seems silly IMO. 

I agree, it looks silly putting qb’s who haven’t played a down in the NFL above ones who have. No one knows how they will preform and more often than not rookie qb’s struggle. That alone is enough to realize this list is based on part performance and part popularity/name recognition. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/6/2023 at 1:13 PM, HappyDays said:

Lol Brock Purdy 12th. I bet the author of this article bets divisional road favorites 100% of the time. "It's like free money!"

Yeah maybe Purdy is the real deal but he really caught the league by surprise.    It would seem to me that if you are an opponent you want to force Purdy to make more big time throws this season.   

• Agree 1

On 5/6/2023 at 7:03 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

When it comes to Lamar...there are a lot of people that say he's not a top 10 QB in the NFL. Thing is, he is...but it has a lot more to do with the level of QB play than it does about his skill to play QB. 

That list has Watson at 10. Personal opinion about the person aside, what did he show as a player last year (after being moth balled the previous year) that even suggests he's in the convo for top 20 QBs? He was awful.

Danny Dimes threw a whopping 15 TDs was it last year? Yet he's on the list as above the middle of the pack. I don't think there has been a period of mediocre starting QBs in the NFL like this in a long time. 

Not sure if Lamar is a top 10 qb but he is definitely a top 3 rb. 

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Allen needs to play a full season like he did against the Rams and Titans. 

Then he puts up the greatest QB season ever.

You are talking about 5700 total yards and 68 touchdowns from him.  That would be the single best season in history for almost any player ever.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think these rankings are, overall, pretty bad … but seeing Baker at 30 made me smile. 

When it comes to QBs I think a “tier” ranking system makes more sense.  I think there are only four QBs right now I would build a franchise around without question:  Mahomes, Josh, Burrow, and Herbert.  Rodgers is out because of age, and Hurts is still a question mark for me.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.