Should the Bills move Milano to MLB?

Bobby Hooks

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

yes taking a 1st team all-pro and switching his position is certainly an “adult” idea. As is using infantile phrasing like “hear me out.”

Still on the hear me out thing, huh? 

You’re right, it must take a huge brain to come up with the same exact thing as 10 other people in this thread alone. 

You’re a real trailblazer. I’ll start threads like yours, oh wait, do you start threads or just comment snappy retorts and react to everything like an emoji crazed 5th grader? 

3 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Maybe they’re unleashing a brand new hybrid mlb/olb roving backer scheme?! 

You don’t know who the mlb is until it’s too late! 

After every play, McDermott is screaming to a random player: “YOU WERE THE MIKE!!!”

3 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Alright, so hear me out. When we drafted Dorian Williams, i was like “cool, we got our guy!” But was surprised to hear that they think of him more like an olb. 

Does anyone else think they may try to shift Milano to the middle and have Dorian take his spot? 

There is no need to hear you out. This question has been asked and answered by the media to the coaches and GM multiple times and has been shut down by both parties repeatedly. McBeane have ALREADY TOLD US multiple times who will be competing for MLB. 

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

There is no need to hear you out. This question has been asked and answered by the media to the coaches and GM multiple times and has been shut down by both parties repeatedly. McBeane have ALREADY TOLD US multiple times who will be competing for MLB. 

We’ve had three pages of conversation. You really think I care at all if you want to hear me out? 

I’ll answer that for you… nope. 

Just now, Bobby Hooks said:

We’ve had three pages of conversation. You really think I care at all if you want to hear me out? 

I’ll answer that for you… nope. 

You started this thread on a topic that has already been asked and answered and presented it as a new idea when it's a tired retread. There is no discussion to be had, but it does show your lack of awareness of the multiple interviews crapping on your idea. You doubling down by attempting to attack multiple people who tell you this subject is moot is a little sad. The retread topic is made no more special because you decided it was your original idea. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd rather kick the can on Free Agent ILB Myles Jack than A.J Klein. 

I believe Jack's skill set and athleticism fits well in McD's defense. Jack has the strength, speed and athleticism to cover tight ends, running backs, and slot receivers, and is a quality run defender. He's very big and fast- 245 to 255 lbs with 4.57 forty wheels, a physical tackler, and is only 27 years old which is 4 years younger than Klein. 

Jack wasn’t even a full time linebacker for the Steelers last year, it was truly a three way split with Devin Bush and Robert Spillane.

Despite splitting playing time, Jack started 13 games and finished with 104 combined tackles. 

I'd offer Jack a 1 year, vet minimum prove it deal with no guarantees, and bring him into camp to see what he got.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You started this thread on a topic that has already been asked and answered and presented it as a new idea when it's a tired retread. There is no discussion to be had, but it does show your lack of awareness of the multiple interviews crapping on your idea. You doubling down by attempting to attack multiple people who tell you this subject is moot is a little sad. The retread topic is made no more special because you decided it was your original idea. 

No, I’m responding in kind. If you’re being rude, I’m responding rudely. If you bring in a good attitude and want to discuss, I discuss. Multiple posters have brought good insight to the table. 

You don’t like the thread, that’s totally fine. My life will still continue on as always.

My question is, if this happens will you admit you’re not good at being a fan? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Alright, so hear me out. When we drafted Dorian Williams, i was like “cool, we got our guy!” But was surprised to hear that they think of him more like an olb. 

Does anyone else think they may try to shift Milano to the middle and have Dorian take his spot? 

I know Milano doesn’t have the prototypical size, but McDermott loves him and is always in his ear on the sidelines. 

The communication aspect would be taken care of (as I kind of see him taking the qb of the defense role already this season), and he’s definitely got the goods in the coverage aspects of the job. 

He’s got great instincts. Idk, maybe there’s a piece I haven’t considered but I just don’t know what they plan to do at the position. Maybe someone already on the roster for obvious running downs, and a change-up for passing downs?

This was a question brought up to both McDermott and Beane after Edmunds signed elsewhere.  Both very firmly answered "no", they would not consider moving Milano to MLB, he would retain his current role.

And it really makes sense.  You have a player who has honed his skill to be one of the best in the business at his current position, so why move him elsewhere?

I think people are misunderstanding what Beane and McD have said about Dorian Williams. 

They've pointed out that he has a learning curve, going from Tulane to a higher level of competition, and Beane said that to START camp, he would be starting outside.

They did not say "they THINK of him more like an OLB." 

And Williams stated that McDermott told him to learn both outside and inside LB positions.

I think Williams is going to be given an opportunity to define for himself how they will think of him.  I think they are managing fan expectations and saying that they don't expect him to come from Tulane and jump into the role of directing the offense right off of the bat.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The reality is that this caching staff and maybe Beane too believes smaller LBs that can move are the way to go.  Some on this board are ok with a 230-235 pound MLB.  I'm not.  But probably more important than size are instincts.  Edmunds never learned how to play the position despite having prototypical size.  He made like 3-5 negative plays a year.  Not good enough for a guy that never left the field.  Some of the tape on Williams shows a guy that at the college level was decisive and shot the gap to disrupt the run and pass game.  Can he do that at the Pro Level?  Who knows.  It's a massive hole that I wish Beane had addressed in free agency and used the 3rd round draft pick on a WR or DT.  That said I Iike the Ford signing.  If we knew they could get Kincaid and Torrence my bet is they would not have spent money on McGovern and instead allocated those dollars to a better LB.  At this point there is not much else they can do barring a trade that gives up a future draft pick, Oliver, or Davis.  Don't see that happening now. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've been kind of thinking along the same lines as Shaw66 for this year. The only question I have is who calls the defense.

Is there any reason that Milano can't call the defense from the Will? If not, then why not have Milano call the defense and platoon the middle LB spot?

When we face the heavy pass teams, we'll see more of Williams and Bernard; and when we see a more run-heavy team, we see more of Dodson and Klein.

There is still a good chance that Williams claims the spot and is the main MLB, but Beane just doesn't want to put too much pressure on the kid (or set expectations for the fans), if he isn't able to pick-up the defense well enough to be its QB by week one (or even a starter).

Now, I have no doubt that Klein or Dodson could call the defense, with their experience in the system. Bernard has a year under his belt, so maybe. And obviously Williams needs to learn. But, if you do platoon them, it doesn't seem like the optimum choice to have a different voice calling the defense from play to play or game to game? 

Milano definitely won't move position, but can he call the D from the Will if needed this year? Anyone (especially those who've played or coached football) know of a reason that couldn't work?

Ultimately, it looks like they want their backers to be interchangeable (in the Milano, Bernard, Williams mode) to combat this pass heavy league. On Chris Long's podcast, while giving Tremaine props as a player, Beane did mention that he was a mismatch (to the negative) for them in coverage often, because of his size. We are not a traditional 4-3 defense. I don't think they want a traditional MLB.

We need to keep up across the middle of the field with the Miamis, Cincis, and KCs of the league. It was a problem in the "13seconds" game and was still an issue last year. So, I think the ultimate goal (at the moment) is Williams and Milano as starters, with Bernard as the first sub for either of them, but you still have guys like Dodson and Klein if a team decides to go heavy power against you. The key to Williams over Tremaine is speed in coverage, better natural instincts, and he's a tackling machine. What we lose in size is more than compensated by those skills, as long as Williams lives up to the bill. But if his learning curve is slow, then I think we see some sort of platooning of the spot.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Still on the hear me out thing, huh? 

You’re right, it must take a huge brain to come up with the same exact thing as 10 other people in this thread alone. 

You’re a real trailblazer. I’ll start threads like yours, oh wait, do you start threads or just comment snappy retorts and react to everything like an emoji crazed 5th grader? 

Maybe you need to hear him out?

He may have some insight this board desperately needs.

Most likely not, based on the post history but all you need is a crack.

15 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The reality is that this caching staff and maybe Beane too believes smaller LBs that can move are the way to go.  Some on this board are ok with a 230-235 pound MLB.  I'm not. 

Several on this board have pointed out to you that if one looks at the top 10 ILBs in the NFL today by several criteria - AAV contract (efficient market theory), rankings by several sites etc. - the average weight of these top-35 inside linebackers is literally 235.

So let's not write as though it's the coaching staff and "some on this board".  It's the trend in the modern NFL where in general, the passing game and stopping it are key.

Whether or not you're OK with what is, sounds like a "you" issue.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Maybe you need to hear him out?

He may have some insight this board desperately needs.

Most likely not, based on the post history but all you need is a crack.

They’re trying their hardest to derail this puppy, it’s not happening Jay! If this puppy goes down, I’m going with it! 

FRIDAY!!! 

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This was a question brought up to both McDermott and Beane after Edmunds signed elsewhere.  Both very firmly answered "no", they would not consider moving Milano to MLB, he would retain his current role.

And it really makes sense.  You have a player who has honed his skill to be one of the best in the business at his current position, so why move him elsewhere?

I think people are misunderstanding what Beane and McD have said about Dorian Williams.  They've pointed out that he has a learning curve, going from Tulane to a higher level of competition, and Beane said that to START camp, he would be starting outside.

They did not say "they THINK of him more like an OLB." 

And Williams stated that McDermott told him to learn both outside and inside LB positions.

I think Williams is going to be given an opportunity to define for himself how they will think of him.

I hope that’s true, like I said earlier. I was reading up on him and watching highlights after the draft and kind’ve got excited. Then I heard the quote and got bummed, so hopefully it is a case of them not trying to pile too much on a rook.  

Edited by Bobby Hooks

i see dorian williams  being milano's backup to start the season

i think the bills add a free agent veteran to fill edmunds spot....someone a lil thicker/ more stout vs run....unlikely they go with anybody already on roster

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Thanks for adding to the discussion. 

Your opinion comes with the thought that Milano would be a downgrade to the mlb position. 

My opinion, mind you this is just an opinion, Is that Milano could play really well in that spot. He’s already the mouthpiece for the D, he’s excellent in coverage, and has nasty instincts. 

Obviously, if it didn’t work out, fine. He can go back to being an all-pro olb. But if it did, that could only help this team. 

It’s a Friday discussion, you can choose to contribute, or just point out the usage of “hear me out” as countless others have already done. You can see that they really contributed to the convo as well. 

Yeah I get you. And I guess it is friendly debate, but when the GM and coach have come out and repeatedly said they will not make this maneuver, why does it continue to be a thing? It's just kind of silly. Creating the same thread over and over about a question that has already been answered isn't really contributing to the board either. Am I contributing? Not really. Is the OP? No not really. Just spinning wheels.

I suppose here is my breakdown...The responsibility of the mike in a 4-2-5 is not exceptionally different that the will, however, he does have to take on more blocks at the point of attack which allows Milano to clean up. Milano excels in cleaning up and shooting gaps playing away from the strength. Stick him at mike and he is now taking on more tight ends etc. He is aso a guy that gets banged up quite a bit. Stick him in there at that spot and he won't last three games. Again, we can debate it all we want, but the braintrust says it isn't happening. It's their opinion that it's not the right move and that is the only opinion that matters. The reason why it is a downgrade is that you are asking Milano to do things that he is not suited for and then you are asking another guy to come in a replace Milano's all pro production. So it's a downgrade in two spots. Leave the man where he excels. 

Do we see more dime type packages where safety Taylor Rapp is your other linebacker? Sure. Does that make Milano the mike? Sure I suppose. But all that remains to be seen. All that we know right now is that bothe Beane and McDermott immediately shot down the idea of moving Matt Milano, and it wasn't coachspeak stuff.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I get you. And I guess it is friendly debate, but when the GM and coach have come out and repeatedly said they will not make this maneuver, why does it continue to be a thing? It's just kind of silly. Creating the same thread over and over about a question that has already been answered isn't really contributing to the board either. Am I contributing? Not really. Is the OP? No not really. Just spinning wheels.

The responsibility of the mike in a 4-2-5 is not exceptionally different that the will, however, he does have to take on more blocks at the point of attack which allows Milano to clean up. Milano excels in cleaning up and shooting gaps playing away from the strength. Stick him at mike and he is now taking on more tight ends etc. He is aso a guy that gets banged up quite a bit. Stick him in there at that spot and he won't last three games. Again, we can debate it all we want, but the braintrust says it isn't happening. It's their opinion that it's not the right move and that is the only opinion that matters. The reason why it is a downgrade is that you are asking Milano to do things that he is not suited for and then you are asking another guy to come in a replace Milano's all pro production. So it's a downgrade in two spots. Leave the man where he excels. 

Do we see more dime type packages where safety Taylor Rapp is your other linebacker? Sure. Does that make Milano the mike? Sure I suppose. But all that remains to be seen. All that we know right now is that bothe Beane and McDermott immediately shot down the idea of moving Matt Milano, and it wasn't coachspeak stuff.  

Well… to be fair, I dont really post as often as I’d like and I didn’t know it was an often posted thing. So that is my bad, I guess. 

But it does seem to be bringing in a decent amount of convo, so there’s seems to be some meat left on the bone. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Does it make more sense to try and win a Super Bowl with AJ Klein at the position? 

I don't believe in taking a guy whose shown to be one of the best in the league in his position and moving him where he is less effective. Now you got sub par LB play across the board. Doesn't make sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.