Should the Bills move Milano to MLB?

Bobby Hooks

Well, this is an interesting discussion.   As I think about, I keep coming back to the same conclusion, which is that McDermott believes he can do something unconventional.   I think we'll see a hybrid approach.

First, I wouldn't make too much of what Beane said about Williams playing strictly on the outside for this season.   I think he said Williams can play the middle, but they want to go slowly with him, not give him too much.   They stuck Edmunds in the middle from day one (for a lot of different reasons), and I don't think they'll be afraid to put Williams there early if he shows in camp that he can handle it.   I would think that learning his role in the pass defense is what will hold him back - the Bills' mlb's run stop duties seem to be fairly traditional, so I assume that part of the job will be easier for Williams to step into.  

Milano seems like a natural to go to the middle, but as others have said, he may get chewed up there, and anything that threatens to take Milano out of the lineup would be a bad thing.   But just like McDermott plays with interchangeable safeties, he may want to play with interchangeable linebackers, too.  Frankly, sometimes last season I wondered which of the two was which.   

The fact that they brought Klein back, and given that he looked reasonably effective on the field last season, suggests to me that he's going to be worked into the defense in some ways.   I think when the Bills want a run-heavy defense, we may see KIein in the middle, and when they want to be really run heavy, they might go 4-3 with Klein and Williams.   I think there may other times when they want a pass-heavy defense and might go 4-1 with Rapp coming into be the sixth defensive back.  

And as I've said before, I'm not writing off Bernard.  By the end of last season, he was a total after-thought.   It was unusual for a third-round pick to see as little of the field as he did.   Still, they drafted him for a reason, and Beane isn't one to miss badly on picks, so I won't be surprised to see if has a role.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if, going into OTAs, McDermott has Bernard penciled into the middle.  

And there's Spector.  

I keep coming back to whether they might be intending to do more situational substituting in the linebacker corps, so that snaps end up being shared among two or three guys from among Williams, Bernard, Klein, Spector, Rapp.   

As I've said before, McDermott has a plan in mind; he just isn't sharing it with us. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I think the “starting Dorian Williams on the outside” comment by Beane was a way to take pressure off of the 3rd round rookie. If I am reading that correctly, then it is a smart move. I have to think the plan is to try him in the middle. 

Yep. Beane just said on a podcast the other day that Williams has to learn the MLB position. He's already backtracking a little on the outside LB comments right after they took him.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I think I’m more in the acceptance or hope. Accepted we have what we have, and hope there’s a plan I don’t quite see yet. 

That's the thing. They told you the plan. That's been the plan all along. If you don't see that then it's more of a case of you choosing not to. And this isn't meant to be negative at you, my friend. Be it them feeling ok at MLB, believing in Gabe, believing in Brown and wanting to extend Oliver...there are a lot of people here choosing not to believe what Beane is flat out saying over and over. 

Beane has been steadfast and really consistent that Milano's role will not change. Same story before and after the draft. Why downgrade two spots? Keep Milano where he is. 

This is another message board thing that is posted every three to four days, then comes a new "hear me out." 

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Beane has been steadfast and really consistent that Milano's role will not change. Same story before and after the draft. Why downgrade two spots? Keep Milano where he is. 

This is another message board thing that is posted every three to four days, then comes a new "hear me out." 

I hear you, but when you're trying to assemble a puzzle, you try pieces in different places.  There just isn't an obvious piece at mlb, and when a team has a hole without an obvious piece to fit in it, the coaches get creative.  I'm not ready to believe that any solution is completely off the table. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Thanks for adding to the discussion. 

Your opinion comes with the thought that Milano would be a downgrade to the mlb position. 

My opinion, mind you this is just an opinion, Is that Milano could play really well in that spot. He’s already the mouthpiece for the D, he’s excellent in coverage, and has nasty instincts. 

Obviously, if it didn’t work out, fine. He can go back to being an all-pro olb. But if it did, that could only help this team. 

It’s a Friday discussion, you can choose to contribute, or just point out the usage of “hear me out” as countless others have already done. You can see that they really contributed to the convo as well. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

2 hours ago, boyst said:

i was on record stating this almost immediately williams is not our MLB.  got roasted, too.

milano will move to the middle in a hybrid role. he will not be the same player he has been for us. i fear this will beat him up and age him quickly.

klein will fill in for the traditional mlb role on run downs. we really could use a donta hightower type for run downs. even a brandon spikes. if we had takeo spikes i'd pop a rod 6 to midnight faster than a blink of an eye.

regardless, the middle of this defense is now a liability and hoping that our front 3 / 4 has improved enough to cover this up. i am not sure they have.

Nah,you're still roasted.  MLB might not be on the roster yet, but won't be Milano  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I had a similar though but Beane ruled it out the other day and walked back the idea that Williams could only play outside.

My thought is McDermott and he hadn't talked about it entirely and then the next day McDermott is like yeah lets give him a shot there and Beane then walked it back. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That's the thing. They told you the plan. That's been the plan all along. If you don't see that then it's more of a case of you choosing not to. And this isn't meant to be negative at you, my friend. Be it them feeling ok at MLB, believing in Gabe, believing in Brown and wanting to extend Oliver...there are a lot of people here choosing not to believe what Beane is flat out saying over and over. 

Beane tells us loads of things. I’m still allowed to look at the team, and form opinions. 

Im not really choosing to ignore him per se. Just looking at things for myself and seeing if I completely agree. 

Not that it’ll matter if I don’t, but I think it’s fair to pose the question. Especially as Shaw so eloquently put it, when the team leaves an obvious hole, I’m going to imagine what could fit there. Whether or not you want to join me is completely up to you. 

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

NOPE. 

I know that this is like a cool thing to do, since so many people have already done it. But all it really tells me is I’m glad you’re not joining the conversation. 

Can’t quite put my finger on it, but it just feels to me that you wouldn’t add much if any substance if you did. Please, by all means, stop reading there and move along. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Good points, idk, I guess I’m alone in thinking Milano could do really well in that spot. 

I honestly have no idea how he'd do there. Perhaps the Bills are going to make the LB roles similar to safety where there really isn't much of a difference between them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Beane tells us loads of things. I’m still allowed to look at the team, and form opinions. 

Im not really choosing to ignore him per se. Just looking at things for myself and seeing if I completely agree. 

Not that it’ll matter if I don’t, but I think it’s fair to pose the question. Especially as Shaw so eloquently put it, when the team leaves an obvious hole, I’m going to imagine what could fit there. Whether or not you want to join me is completely up to you. 

I know that this is like a cool thing to do, since so many people have already done it. But all it really tells me is I’m glad you’re not joining the conversation. 

Can’t quite put my finger on it, but it just feels to me that you wouldn’t add much if any substance if you did. Please, by all means, stop reading there and move along. 

anyone that starts their idea with “hear me out” gets a nope sorry. Just post your hair brained idea straight out. No need for the preamble. 

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

anyone that starts their idea with “hear me out” gets a nope sorry. Just post your hair brained idea straight out. No need for the preamble. 

You’ve already made that abundantly clear in your well thought out “nope” post. Now move along, adults are talking. 

Isn’t there a cool new Comedy Central cartoon for you to watch? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Roasting's popular around here.  The funny thing is that when the topic that the person is roasted for comes true, then it's the intellectual thougth-of-the-day that it didn't make sense.  

To your post, this is all a direct result of poor planning by Beane.  People defend Beane but there's no excuse or defense.  This is his mess.  Imagine if you will, Milano gets seriously injured ... we would instantly have the worst linebacking unit in the league.  

I'm quite curious how McD does this.  Time will tell.  

We do not have a scheme identity. That's on more than just Beane

• Agree 1

I don't think Beane has been inconsistent at all here.  I think they see Williams as the mlb.  He said in the Rome interview that he couldn't expect Williams to come up to speed so quickly as to be the "QB of the D" but he would like to see him get there by late season.  He even went on to describe Edmunds as too lanky to cover slot guys and not shifty enough for what they wanted -- traits that are pretty obviously addressed with Williams and Benford.

"Start at wlb" just meant that his path to middle would start by learning the defense from the weak side first.

It is hard for me to imagine replacing a giant of a man with lightweight, but the Rome interview convinced me that is what Beane wants to do.

Edited by mbs
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

No one is saying you can't fantasize about what you think may/could/should happen. Just reminds me of people that write fan fiction stories of their favorite TV show. Not my thing personally, but hey if it brings you joy more power to ya. 

Actually, I see it more as having an open book test and then questioning the answers after you turn in the paper. The facts are there in black and white...but hey...maybe 2+2 does in fact equal 7 and not 4. Who's really to say?

Of course everyone is going to have their own opinions on things. But....and again this isn't a shot at you directly...the willful neglect by some to look at what is being presented as opposed to bending things to suit their own personal narrative over certain players or positions is certainly in abundance. 

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

No one is saying you can't fantasize about what you think may/could/should happen. Just reminds me of people that write fan fiction stories of their favorite TV show. Not my thing personally, but hey if it brings you joy more power to ya. 

Actually, I see it more as having an open book test and then questioning the answers after you turn in the paper. The facts are there in black and white...but hey...maybe 2+2 does in fact equal 7 and not 4. Who's really to say?

Of course everyone is going to have their own opinions on things. But....and again this isn't a shot at you directly...the willful neglect by some to look at what is being presented as opposed to bending things to suit their own personal narrative over certain players or positions is certainly in abundance. 

That’s fair, but also, and I don’t mean this as a shot at you, kinda boring. What kind of threads would we have here if all we posted on were exactly what the coach and GM have said? 

Just seems like it would be a board of Chris Brown fluff. 

Personally, I can’t wait for your thread titled 2+2 = 4 ; here are the things we know for sure. 

Josh Allen is QB, we have a Justin Shorter, etc. 

Where’s the intrigue? If we just posted the team quotes provided by every news outlet, without a little creativity, would we even need the message board? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

27 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

You’ve already made that abundantly clear in your well thought out “nope” post. Now move along, adults are talking. 

Isn’t there a cool new Comedy Central cartoon for you to watch? 

yes taking a 1st team all-pro and switching his position is certainly an “adult” idea. As is using infantile phrasing like “hear me out.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.