New Stadium Location question.

AuntieEm

59 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We are saying the same thing. As I understand it, it is back near the football field that the kids use. I’m not sure exactly where but in that general area. 

That makes more sense.  The kids field is fairly close to the Sheldon plot, and significantly upgradient from the creek.  I suspect the native burial ground probably is somewhere between the Sheldon space and what now is that field.  

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

There was an Indian named Sheldon? Go figure! 

No, but there is a cemetery on site (maybe 50 yards from gate 7).  Check it out on Google Maps.  It’s the Sheldon Family cemetery.  (There’s also a Sheldon Road about not far from the stadium and where the Sheldon family homestead used to be.)

• Like (+1) 1

If there were existing graves on the current stadium site fifty years ago, they would have been exhumed and moved elsewhere.   The discovery of old cemeteries/burying grounds during construction for some project is quite common.   In fact, most cities in the US would probably be cursed if disturbing old graves could conjure up a curse because most cities started out as tiny little settlements with burying grounds within walking distance of the center of town.  In the nineteenth (and sometimes into the twentieth century), as cities grew, they would create new, larger public cemeteries further out on the periphery of the city limits or even beyond and move the graves from the old cemeteries there.

If graves in private cemeteries weren't marked with stone markers and/or the caretakers of the cemeteries died or move away, these burying grounds might be lost for decades or even centuries until somebody decided to build a house or building on the site and unearthed bones.   The remains are then removed and re-interred elsewhere.

We have a grave site -- or at least a headstone-- on our property south of Gowanda that we found back in 1960 shortly after we moved there.  It's located on a hillside in what was then a cow pasture and is now a woodlot.  The date was from 1869, an eighteen year old woman named Ella or Emma.    There were no other signs of graves there, and we didn't go looking to find more.  It might have just been a single grave or it might have been that other graves were marked with wooden crosses that disintegrated over time.

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

That makes more sense.  The kids field is fairly close to the Sheldon plot, and significantly upgradient from the creek.  I suspect the native burial ground probably is somewhere between the Sheldon space and what now is that field.  

No, but there is a cemetery on site (maybe 50 yards from gate 7).  Check it out on Google Maps.  It’s the Sheldon Family cemetery.  (There’s also a Sheldon Road about not far from the stadium and where the Sheldon family homestead used to be.)

I was kidding. 

The cemetery is already right in the middle of things. If they didn't disturb it for the stadium, they're not going to disturb it for a parking lot. 

Not sure if there's anything to the Native American (see what I did there?) burial grounds.

The good news is the new stadium will be across the road and off the land of the cemetery. So hopefully no more curse.

rsbg.png

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

If there were existing graves on the current stadium site fifty years ago, they would have been exhumed and moved elsewhere.   The discovery of old cemeteries/burying grounds during construction for some project is quite common.   In fact, most cities in the US would probably be cursed if disturbing old graves could conjure up a curse because most cities started out as tiny little settlements with burying grounds within walking distance of the center of town.  In the nineteenth (and sometimes into the twentieth century), as cities grew, they would create new, larger public cemeteries further out on the periphery of the city limits or even beyond and move the graves from the old cemeteries there.

Actually one of the articles I read on my Google stated that there was a petition back then to prevent the architects from moving the remains.  Seems Ralph Wilson respected their request and had the architects realign the stadium  as the original placement would have had the cemetery at the 50 yd line.  The realignment is the reason þhè stadium had its wind tunnel effect and swirling winds ar dome late season games.

9 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

The story has been that the burial ground was disturbed by the stadium.  It's been said/urban legend/rumor/whatever for decades.  

Yea I always heard the urban legend which had me google it and I was surprised on the various facts.  The indigenous aspect is that is the location of an Indian village.   I myself do truly find it interesting, always found archeology a fascinating area of study.

2 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea I always heard the urban legend which had me google it and I was surprised on the various facts.  The indigenous aspect is that is the location of an Indian village.   I myself do truly find it interesting, always found archeology a fascinating area of study.

What’s funny is when I actually uncovered Indian bones on my project site the archeologist said to me …”ya know, I always wanted to be an architect”. 😂

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.