Dexter Lawrence 4 yrs / 90M extension with Giants

SCBills

Yeah, this is an outdated way to build a team in my opinion. 

Paying DTs to huge money. Not a business I want the Bills to be in. 

Of course there are exceptions, Chris Jones.

To some degree I don’t know how much value there is in paying DEs to massive deals, verses keeping a young pipeline going on the defensive line. 

Quarterbacks are too smart, get rid of the ball too quickly, for these pass rushers to get there reliably. 

Let Oliver see the dollar signs that he can get as a free agent next season.  Maybe that motivates him to have a career year.  He then gets paid by someone else and the Bills get a comp pick.  If he plays that well, it benefits the Bills this upcoming season and the comp pick benefits in the future.  Alternatively, if the Bills think he's had a "breakthrough" season and he becomes Aaron Donald 2.0, they have the opportunity to pay him.  If he doesn't play well, he gets moved out of the rotation and/or leaves quietly to sign a more modest deal elsewhere.  In the meantime, trading him now won't yield more than a mid-round pick, so the better bet is to see what they can get out of him this year.  As stated somewhere above, if he can be traded for another player who might be a better fit or asset to the team, then yes, trade him.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

No thanks, trade Oliver now 

I dont get how this is still a thing people are saying. 

What exactly do you think you’re getting for him? What do you do about the gaping hole it leaves in a season where a Super Bowl is still a very real possibility and you already don’t have a mlb? 

The guy is not terrible, and he’s going to be performing for a big time contract. It’s very possible this is the hardest he ever plays. 

He’s on the last year of his deal, who’s trading away anything close the value he will bring to the team this season? 

Mind=boggled

You know when all is said and done in the offseason the team has to play actual football games, right? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I have a hard time believing the Bills are willing to pay Oliver a similar type of contract.

It's not happening and Oliver is smoking something if he thinks anyone else is going to give him that.

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I dont get how this is still a thing people are saying. 

What exactly do you think you’re getting for him? What do you do about the gaping hole it leaves in a season where a Super Bowl is still a very real possibility and you already don’t have a mlb? 

The guy is not terrible, and he’s going to be performing for a big time contract. It’s very possible this is the hardest he ever plays. 

He’s on the last year of his deal, who’s trading away anything close the value he will bring to the team this season? 

Mind=boggled

You know when all is said and done in the offseason the team has to play actual football games, right? 

I would only trade him for a major piece on offense like DHop to balance the salary cap.

Oliver won't be signing for anything in Buffalo. You can't pay an undersized DT who's poor against the run and not a natural pass rusher. 

Listening to Greg Cosell, who puts in the work, refer to Oliver as a poor pass rusher was all I needed to hear. If another team wants to give him $12-16M a year, take the 4th round comp pick, admit you whiffed and move on. 

Next year the Bills will be looking for a solid DT in FA and perhaps yhe draft too. I'm fine with that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.