Uniform Identity & Changes (What is behind it)

corta765

23 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

This begs the question, why do teams not get to use what uniform designs they want without over regulation? sleave stripes, collars etc…, 

It looks like we're gonna get more variation, like the other leagues do, but one limit the NFL has is the number of games. They can only do so much with 17 games. And the league makes the contract with whatever clothing company they choose. I don't see that falling to the team level ever again.

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It looks like we're gonna get more variation, like the other leagues do, but one limit the NFL has is the number of games. They can only do so much with 17 games. And the league makes the contract with whatever clothing company they choose. I don't see that falling to the team level ever again.

With a years notice in can be doable 

On 5/3/2023 at 2:39 PM, corta765 said:

A popular topic around these parts is the Bills doing a throwback to the 90s blue unis and red helmets which in turn brings up why we do not see more uniforms or changes by the Bills in general. As someone who regular reads about the process of uni changes and everything that goes into it I thought I would share what factors the team, NIKE, and NFL wise regular play a role in this.

To start you can basically divide the league into three branches in terms of uniform style; traditional, not traditional, and mixed appearance which are teams that may have some traditional looks they either have blended or moved away from but the elements still are there. I would break the teams out like this:

Traditional look: BUF, CHI, CLE, CIN, DAL, GB, IND, KC, LAC, LV, NYG, PIT, SF

Not traditional look: ATL, BAL, CAR, DEN, HOU, NYJ, NOLA, PHI, SEA, TEN

Mixed: ARZ, DET, JAX, LAR, MIN, MIA, NE, TB, WSH

How those teams end up in those categories is interesting as a variety of things are at play. Classic long term franchises like PIT, GB, CHI, KC, etc will never significantly alter what they wear as that is their brand and look come hell or high water. BUF/CLE/CIN have all smartly returned to classic style uniforms after moving for a while to newer "modern" looks that really never fit. On the flipside teams like SEA, NE, & DEN all had very nice traditional looks, BUT the rings came in what you see right now. A lot of Denver fans do not mind their current look apparently because that was what their titles came in. For the Patriots the classic Pat the Patriot look is wonderful, but Brady and crew won six in the blue Elvis patriot look so I doubt they ever fully move away. Some teams like Minnesota have successfully mixed a traditional flair with a modern approach while Miami has had middling results and other franchises like the Rams have left a far superior jersey on the table for the trash sorry "modern" look they have now. Modern doesn't mean bad as BAL/PHI/NOLA/TB all have very solid looks that are not traditional, but as we've all seen many times modern goes off the rails.

Today's NFL teams are corporations in a nut shell. The brand is everything which is why some of the more creative logos and looks have passed for dull "modern" attempts. Any time a team decides to move to something new its a multi year process that goes through the NFL. Even if Buffalo wants the red helmet and blue jersey from the 90s as a third you are looking at 2-3 years to actually get it on the field between approvals and then sourcing. Last season the Bills did not wear their AFL white unis and I partially believe that is because the submitted a request to the league to move to the red helmets on an alternate basis. The Bucs would've had their popular creamsicle look last year but the supply shortage caused it to be delayed a year. When a new uniform is brought out it is five years before a team can start anew for something else. If that team wins a title in that time I can guarantee any plans they have on made changing or altering things will be delayed. 

One of the other things that has slowed down or stopped popular uniforms like the Eagles Kelly green is the NFLs one shell rule. Back around 2011 the NFL made it mandatory that players use the same helmet at all times for safety reasons. That in turn eliminated the ability for one off helmets until this last year when the NFL finally modified the policy to bring in another helmet as long as it passed the safety tests. This should open up teams to be able to wear multiple looks again. 

Finally the NFL uniform provider NIKE plays the other major role in this. NIKE rarely does things traditional if they have the opportunity. If the entire league was traditional 32 teams across it hurts NIKE. Whether you liked Atlanta's divisive look that came out or not it brings NIKE to the forefront with something different which keeps the brand out front. I have thought for a while the NFL will eventually go the way of college football where teams can wear many combinations and looks as it is an additional revenue source for the league and NIKE.

Let me know your thoughts on this and anything you may have to add

Sorry if I missed this, but just curious why you would consider TB "mixed"?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.