Are we more deserving of the SB hype this year than last?

Success

I like the Bills being the under dog but i do think they didn't have all the pieces they needed to be a SB champion last season not only in the running game but given the injuries that definitely put them in a bad place .

This season though i feel given the improvements from those players that they drafted & those they picked up in FA i feel they are better prepared in th player department to compete even if they do have a couple of injuries in some positions they have more depth this season to over come them better than last yr .

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Jets will be the story of the NFL for the first month. 

Would not be surprised to see a Bills Jets opening week game to add to the hype. 

The Jets won't need any more hype. They are one of the SB favorites this year and expectations in New York are sky high. Moreover, the NFL wants the Jets to succeed early to be able to market them better later in the year, and beyond perhaps.

With this in mind, Colin Cowherd said this morning he doesn't expect the Jets to face any difficult teams or situations early on. The NFL wants Rodgers to get his rhythm down. In the past, he always started slowly in the first year with a new coach or coordinator (even though he knows his new OC and some of his WR's). And Garrett Wilson is still young, as is Breece Hall. Thus, the NFL won't schedule games with Philadelphia early (imagine NY's poor OL facing Philly's front four), or at Miami in the heat, or KC. The Bills are also a no-no early since this would be a tough game for them.

3 hours ago, Andy1 said:

Well Cowherd has Bills ranked 4th in AFC behind Chiefs, Bengals and Chargers.

Yep, he did. Here is his top 10 in the AFC:

1. KC

2. Cincy

3. LA Chargers

4. Buffalo

5. Jax

6. Baltimore

7. Denver

8. NY Jets

9. Pittsburgh

10. Miami

cowherd-2.jpg

Edited by chongli

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm sure KC and Cinci fans are saying similar things about Buffalo. 

13 seconds was the ultimate choke job in NFL history. 

It cuts both ways...

It's reasonable. Not sure about the Chargers but it's not outrageous either. 

Weirdly, it's mostly Bills fans who go on and on about 13 seconds being a choke job.

Most other folks consider it mostly Mahomes being absolutely sensational and having two terrific receivers in Kelce and Tyreek. Same as they don't blame the Chiefs defense all that much for Allen's heroics in the same game. That was mostly two QBs being simply otherworldly. 

Not that either D was playing well. But that was one of the all-time best QB performance matchups in NFL history.

The Bills and their fans can't look at it the same way if they want to feel they have a chance the next time. But just as we don't blame the Chiefs D much for the Bills offensive success in that game, most folks give the Chiefs offense and Butler most of the responsibility there for that long field goal.

"Ultimate choke job in NFL history"? Um, no. It just wasn't. Not that it was good or even OK either. But you are wildly wildly overstating there.

I don't think we deserved the hype last year with a rookie OC. I wasn't impressed with Dorsey either. Our success on offense was too reliant on asking Josh to put the team on his back. Our D is weak sauce at MLB and DE without Von. I don't trust our RT. We have a tougher schedule both in and out of the division. I think we are a good team, but I don't think SB hype is warranted preseason. Gonna need to see how everything comes together the first 4-5 games before I set any expectations this year. If we come out and start smashing people running 12 personnel I'm all aboard the hype train.

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

The hype last year wasn’t deserved and they won’t/shouldn’t be hyped this year. 

Nonsense. 

Every bit of it was deserved last year. Before the injuries the Bills were a wrecking machine. I should say before the injuries, before the mass shooting incident, before Knox's brother died, before a Bills player died on the field ... it goes on and on.

But at the beginning of the year they deserved every bit of that hype.

This year, particularly with the questions about Von, who is one of the two most critical pieces, significantly less is deserved. They'll have to prove themselves. But still look like one of the four to six best teams in the league.

Edited by Thurman#1

The media loves to pick a darling and then immediately move on to the next and dump the old team if they fail. I've been seeing most people hop off the bandwagon and listing us between 4-5 in the conference and a lot of people saying we might not even win the division. If Rogers wins a couple games to start the season be prepared for everyone to slobber all over the Jets and pick them to win the division.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I will say last year was a rough one 

unfortunately we kick off this year down Miller and still a big question mark with tre. 

poyer and Hyde coming off injury at their age will be question marks. Likely good but shy of their peak form.

morse is a love tap from being out long term 

we have a good team but I think it’s safe to say it’s second tier (ie have a shot but not a favorite) unless/until several guys show they are healthy- and others step up (Davis, Kincaid, any guards, Rousseau, any mlb)

I'm not sure it's safe to say that.

Vegas disagrees, anyway. They have us in the top four right now. Not sure I agree with that, but I'd put us probably top five or six.

Last year before the season we were top two.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Weirdly, it's mostly Bills fans who go on and on about 13 seconds being a choke job.

Most other folks consider it mostly Mahomes being absolutely sensational and having two terrific receivers in Kelce and Tyreek. Same as they don't blame the Chiefs defense all that much for Allen's heroics in the same game. That was mostly two QBs being simply otherworldly. 

Not that either D was playing well. But that was one of the all-time best QB performance matchups in NFL history.

The Bills and their fans can't look at it the same way if they want to feel they have a chance the next time. But just as we don't blame the Chiefs D much for the Bills offensive success in that game, most folks give the Chiefs offense and Butler most of the responsibility there for that long field goal.

"Ultimate choke job in NFL history"? Um, no. It just wasn't. Not that it was good or even OK either. But you are wildly wildly overstating there.

Disagree wildly with you. No way no how should the Chiefs scored in 13 seconds. It's just that simple! The Chiefs, Mahomes, Kelce, Hill and Reid did nothing spectacular to get into field position. It was more the Bills errors than anything. Choke!

The Bills defense was flawed and frankly horrific in those 13 seconds. All they had to do was drag and hold the Chiefs players for two plays. A holding penalty would not have hurt them all the while precious time would have ticked off the clock. Instead we saw what happened. No squib or short kick, played 20 yards off the line of scrimmage, and gave Kelce a free path and free catch. The Bills called timeouts to get things right while they get things wrong. Choke, choke, and more choke! Miscommunication isn't an excuse it's called choking. 

Your account of other fans perception is admirable but not based in fact. It's purely based on your perception and opinion. You are rightly entitled to it. 

Not sure how anyone even the casual football fan can't see how that 13 second debacle wasn't one of the worst coached and played 13 seconds in history. Plainly put, as a Bills fan it will hunt us for years to come. It was arguably the best chance the Bills had to win a Super Bowl. The Bills choked it away. Sorry Thurman if you can't or refuse to see it. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, T master said:

I like the Bills being the under dog but i do think they didn't have all the pieces they needed to be a SB champion last season not only in the running game but given the injuries that definitely put them in a bad place .

This season though i feel given the improvements from those players that they drafted & those they picked up in FA i feel they are better prepared in th player department to compete even if they do have a couple of injuries in some positions they have more depth this season to over come them better than last yr .

I think the idea of a team being the favorite or underdog to ein it all is vastly overrated and overhyped amoung fans. 

I think today's modern day athletes are able to mostly drown out the media noise. In essence, I think it has little effect on the players and teams outcome. 

6 hours ago, T master said:

This is one way to look at it. You could be absolutely correct. However, it appears that KC and Cinci are better than the Bills. They too have made improvements along with the Jets and other teams. 

The Bills are no doubt a top tier team. Allen is simple that good. With a little help and support they make the playoffs. 

The real question is are they good enough to win it all? That is the goal no? Thus far, they have come up short year after year. Various reasons why which have been amply stated. 

A new start to the season brings new hope. As time passes does that hope become reality or another bitter disappointment? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It was pretty bad my man… buffalo defense didn’t even try to stop them , they were 15 yards down field and KC only needed a field goal with two timeouts. Oh and mahomes screamimg at kelce DO IT MAN!!! I’ve been watching football for 40 years and its a pretty nasty look. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'm not sure it's safe to say that.

Vegas disagrees, anyway. They have us in the top four right now. Not sure I agree with that, but I'd put us probably top five or six.

Last year before the season we were top two.

im not sure we are distantly off. Even 4th is outside the top 10% of teams. Hard to call a team outside the top 10% a favorite to win it, so that would be the starting area of that second tier of very good teams. 

saying that’s not a favorite but they have a shot seems to be fair for teams in the 4-5-6 -7 type of range. If Miller comes back early and reliable I’d put us right at the front of that group, if he struggles probably towards the tail of that group. 

15 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I don't think there's anyway to say yes or no till we see the final team and how well they play complementary football.  If our offense stays the same but the defense can cause opponents into mistakes and they create to's and perhaps a higher bit of scoring off some of those  we may find that the talent upgrades of the other teams still leave them in the dust when compared to Josh really start to master his craft.  

The question in the post though, is based on what we know now should we have more or less hype than last year. So you think the Jets are a tougher out w/ Rodgers than last year? I do. Given what we saw from Miami last year do you think they're a harder opponent than you did this time last year? I do. Do you think the opponents on the schedule are harder overall than last year? As I listed those Away games, yes I do. Bills have the 2nd hardest strength of schedule in the league (see link). This isn't to say they can't do it, it just appears it will be tougher this year.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/2023-nfl-strength-of-schedule/

15 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The Bills offense last year was:

4th in total yards per game

2nd in average yards per game

8th in passing yards

9th in rushing yards

4th in points scored

All while playing one less game than the rest of the NFL

Dorsey isn't perfect, but his shortcomings have been widely exaggerated 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/table/passing/sort/totalPoints/dir/desc

10 points will never win a playoff game against Cincy or KC. (Points not stats win games. Our stats were better under Daboll however, more points per game & we were 3rd in points under him). Dorsey had no answers against Cincinnati & we were at home. Daboll never scored that few points in the playoffs w/ this group. We needed 2 Hines kick returns to overcome the Pats, the Offense did not score as many points that day as the Pats did (yes I agree that's also a problem w/ the D also). & Frankly they did not look nearly as explosive last season as they did w/ Daboll. That's not just what I saw, Joe Bascaglia, Joe Marino, Greg Cossell, Jeremy White, Chris Simms have all made the same observation. No picks or quick slants to scheme guys open and get quick yards. Some even questioned if we'd move on from him. His seat is warm. Another playoff game w/ 10 pts & he's probably gone. But it does take time to learn new jobs, hopefully this year goes better. But when combined w/ the other things I mentioned, I don't see how our hype & expectations this year should be higher than last year, which was the question posed. Hopefully it all comes together & they can get through all the obstacles. 

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

5 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

The media loves to pick a darling and then immediately move on to the next and dump the old team if they fail. I've been seeing most people hop off the bandwagon and listing us between 4-5 in the conference and a lot of people saying we might not even win the division. If Rogers wins a couple games to start the season be prepared for everyone to slobber all over the Jets and pick them to win the division.

It's already starting and its only May. This is I what I saw in Paramus, NJ.

NYPICHPDPICT000010332428.jpg?resize=1536

16 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

There's questions there based on his performance last year.

The Bills finished second in the ESPN total offense stats. The Bills could have finished first, so I guess there should be questions. 

2022 NFL Team Total Offense Stats | ESPN      www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team

Obviously. I do not know how to post the link. 

You deserve what you earn. The Bills have tried to improve the team this offseason, just like every other team. Accolades this time of year for having a good team on paper are just sad.  There’s nothing to do but see how it all plays out. 

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Disagree wildly with you. No way no how should the Chiefs scored in 13 seconds. It's just that simple! The Chiefs, Mahomes, Kelce, Hill and Reid did nothing spectacular to get into field position. It was more the Bills errors than anything.

The Bills defense was flawed and frankly horrific in those 13 seconds. All they had to do was drag and hold the Chiefs players for two plays. A holding penalty would not have hurt them all the while precious time would have ticked off the clock. Instead we saw what happened. No squib or short kick, played 20 yards off the line of scrimmage, and gave Kelce a free path and free catch. The Bills called timeouts to get things right while they get things wrong. Choke, choke, and more choke! Miscommunication isn't an excuse it's called choking. 

You account of other fans perception is admirable but not based in fact. It's purely based on your perception and opinion. You are rightly entitled to it. 

Not sure how anyone even the casual football fan can't see how that 13 second debacle wasn't one of the worst coached and played 13 seconds in history. Plainly put, as a Bills fan it will hunt us for years to come. It was arguably the best chance the Bills had to win a Super Bowl. The Bills choked it away. Sorry Thurman if you can't or refuse to see it. 

I agree with every word here and said so, at the time! It was an atrocious job of Head Coaching,starting with the unbelievably inept FUBAR to not squib kick! The point, the ONLY point was to use up 3-5 seconds! Plus, whatever D was being called on McDs TOs was totally inept. 

THIS was a SB lost in perhaps the Top 1-2 Offensive Playoff games in NFL history. Its choke job loss led to the belief that the Bills could easily take the next step! Now, having been horribly outclassed and at Home by Cinci,the Bills are clearly- at best, 3rd in the AFC. I hope Kincaid and the other moves will be successful. That is up to Dorsey who was far from perfect in 2022. The sked is far more difficult. I am hopeful, but not half as inspired as I was a year ago.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.