Are we more deserving of the SB hype this year than last?

Success

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Jets will be the story of the NFL for the first month. 

Would not be surprised to see a Bills Jets opening week game to add to the hype. 

I could see the Jets getting a week one primetime game at MetLife. First game with Rodgers the league will want to showcase that. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Success said:

And I say this realizing that we will NOT be hyped this year, which I think is a good thing.

But it's clear what our deficiencies were last year - and they became even more glaring in the playoffs. We were speed & finesse, and so top heavy - mainly Allen, Diggs and Miller.

It's like Beane looked at the Cincy game, and addressed everything we were missing. A deeper & more powerful run game? Check.  Physical receivers who have better hands and get YAC?  Check.  A stronger O-line that can both protect JA and open holes for the RB's?  Check.

This team is now built more for Buffalo weather - and more for overpowering opponents.  For months now on the general boards, both "Buffalo will take a step back in '23" and "The Bills window is closing" have become like mantras.  But our 2023 team is our best & most balanced yet, imo.  It feels like this team is the one that should get the big hype. And again, I'm glad they aren't.

More deserving of hype right now?

Short answer. No 

Long answer. Heck no.

21 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I could see the Jets getting a week one primetime game at MetLife. First game with Rodgers the league will want to showcase that. 

NY media rumors Monday night is 9-11 and Giants-Jets is possible.   

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills are a legitimate SB contender and will be for the foreseeable future as long as Allen is healthy.  I don't see how anybody who watched the second half of last season could consider us "favorites" or anything.  Good team, can beat anybody on the right day, not special.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think people were more optimistic about Dorsey going into last season than how the results panned out.  I don't think he is looked at as a strength at the moment.

Agree. In fact, I think he is quietly on a hot seat. If this offense isn’t efficient early on, I think they can him in favor of Joe Brady. 

I think McD realizes he is also on a warm seat and if things kind of fall apart this season, Dorsey will be the first to go. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think we were the best team in the NFL last year. That hype was not warranted. Did the Bills have a chance to make it to the superbowl and win it? They did. They were among those teams who should always be in that conversation.

That said, the biggest deficiency was injuries. The Bills got decimated by key injuries on the defense, plus the Josh Allen elbow injury that hampered him. If we are healthier this year, that's one major deficiency that is easily overcome by default.

I don't think the Bills necessarily deserve more or less hype this year, but I do think the team, mostly on offense, seems more complete and more talented. But still, there is some projecting there.

The Bills are still an elite team and they have a good shot at getting to and winning the Super Bowl, just like last year. They have to perform a little better in those big games, players have to make those key plays in those key moments, and we have to be healthier. With McDermott calling the defense and Dorsey in year two, I think we should all feel confident in our chances.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think people were more optimistic about Dorsey going into last season than how the results panned out.  I don't think he is looked at as a strength at the moment.

The pendulum swung the other way. People were too optimistic last year, and too pessimistic this year regarding Dorsey. The Bills still had a good offense last year. There's no reason to believe that the offense can't succeed or get better this year.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

I think the Bills are betting favorites right now. With that said I don't think they will get alot of praise, perennial bridesmaids will be more of the theme, which is fine by me, get the team fired up.

I definitely feel better this year, we have 2 guards that will be better than anything we had last year. 

Also I think the defense will be relatively the same. Milano is the only person I would fear losing off defense, if White regains form or at least 85% form we will be fine.

Edmunds was above average but he by no means made this defense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Each one of those teams should fear playing us just as much, if not more, imho. 

Out of curiosity,  why would someone like Cinci fear us?  They crushed us.  Thoroughly outcoached and outplayed.   We don't have a better def or better weapons.  I put Allen above Burrow but that's it.

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

That said, the biggest deficiency was injuries. The Bills got decimated by key injuries on the defense, plus the Josh Allen elbow injury that hampered him. If we are healthier this year, that's one major deficiency that is easily overcome by default.

Bills were the 4th least injury affected team in regards to man games lost.  Theres a Twitter pos out there that tracks this

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

And I say this realizing that we will NOT be hyped this year, which I think is a good thing.

But it's clear what our deficiencies were last year - and they became even more glaring in the playoffs. We were speed & finesse, and so top heavy - mainly Allen, Diggs and Miller.

It's like Beane looked at the Cincy game, and addressed everything we were missing. A deeper & more powerful run game? Check.  Physical receivers who have better hands and get YAC?  Check.  A stronger O-line that can both protect JA and open holes for the RB's?  Check.

This team is now built more for Buffalo weather - and more for overpowering opponents.  For months now on the general boards, both "Buffalo will take a step back in '23" and "The Bills window is closing" have become like mantras.  But our 2023 team is our best & most balanced yet, imo.  It feels like this team is the one that should get the big hype. And again, I'm glad they aren't.

This is a good question and weird answer for me.  My actual answer is No, we should not be as favored to get there as last year...but with an asterisk of saying I actually think our chances of reaching and winning the Super Bowl are better this year now that we know the real deficiencies of last year and the adjustments we made this offseason.

Last year, we were seen as the cream of the crop by most coming off that amazing performance against KC and adding more to our team like Von Miller, while KC lost some guys including Hill.  The NFC wasn't seen as strong at that time either.  

This year, our schedule has us playing the consensus 3 toughest divisions in football (Our own, AFC West, and NFC East) plus the Bengals and the Jaguars.  More importantly there are several more teams seen as elite at the top this year compared to last year.  Now you have Eagles, Niners, and in some cases Dallas in the NFC plus the Chiefs, Bengals and Bills in the AFC.  

Now this year, while I don't expect us to be as favored to get to the SB, I do think our actual odds of getting there and winning it are better with the offseason moves Beane made for us to get tougher, bigger, and more built to play in those tough bad weather playoff games.  

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

A lot of people will poo-poo this, but I too think McD's seat is warmer than most realize.

I think it is colder than most realise. I also think it is probably colder than it should be. But I think Pegs is wedded to this regime and especially with Kim's situation I don't see him going for major upheaval unless he has to. 

• Agree 1

I think this season, the race for the AFC East Division will be the most competitive we have seen in this division in decades. Perhaps it will come down to the winner being the team that stays the healthiest at critical times and/or throughout the season. Unfortunately, the downside to having such a competitive race, is the likelihood that the only team to make the playoffs from the AFC East will be the Division winner.

29 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Bills were the 4th least injury affected team in regards to man games lost.  Theres a Twitter pos out there that tracks this

The QUALITY of who was injured is a lot more important then the QUANTITY of injuries.  When the injuries happen is also important.  Not sure that this stat is relevant to the impact of injuries on a teams success or failure in any given season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, gjv said:

I think this season, the race for the AFC East Division will be the most competitive we have seen in this division in decades. Perhaps it will come down to the winner being the team that stays the healthiest at critical times and/or throughout the season. Unfortunately, the downside to having such a competitive race, is the likelihood that the only team to make the playoffs from the AFC East will be the Division winner.

I completely disagree

mcdaniel will be figured out

tua is trash and they will be reeling once again.   Wheels coming off when cheetah isn’t happy 

jets won’t perform - Rodgers 40 years old and had the worst year of his life - I. That cake Division!!!!

jets are toast…

Just now, Drew21PA said:

I completely disagree

mcdaniel will be figured out

tua is trash and they will be reeling once again.   Wheels coming off when cheetah isn’t happy 

jets won’t perform - Rodgers 40 years old and had the worst year of his life - I. That cake Division!!!!

jets are toast…

Guess my hot take is that jets and fish miss the playoffs and split with the patriots who. Everyone feels is the last team in the afc East 

Bills 13-4

Jets 9-8

Patriots 9-8

Fish 6-11

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.