Poona Ford signing with the Bills

mathja

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm not sure if the Bills plan on doing it, but starting Poona and DaQuan next to each other would be interesting 

At least in short yardage and goal line situations this would be nice.

I recall fondly the days of Ted Washington and Pat Williams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/4/2023 at 7:44 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Sal was talking about this yesterday.  I was under the impression all along he was a 1 but he was saying he's more of a penetrator.  I'm hoping he plays 1 with us because I think we lack there outside of Jones.

I’m sure he’s the back up one, but I could see him on obvious running down and go line situations where he could be playing next to Jones

Are three techs are Oliver Williams, and settle

Note, I could see a situation where Tim settle gets traded for a draft pick

Poona Ford Playing time incentives 

- $100K for 56 percent of defensive snaps

- $200K for 60 percent of snaps

- $400K for 65 percent of snaps

Sacks

- $100K for four sacks

- $250K for five sacks

- $400K for six sacks

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/4/2023 at 1:26 PM, JohnNord said:

There is zero chance that Babylon Spector starts the season at MLB.

Not saying Spector will win the job, but I was impressed with him last preseason. Seemed like he was everywhere and was much more a presence than his fellow rookie LB Bernard. I remember some were even joking to start him over Tremaine… or maybe those weren’t jokes. Anyway, whoever emerges at MLB, I don’t think the drop off from Tremaine will be canyon-like.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They’re not booing, they’re yelling Poona-urns.

Yeah but you know if the crowd got that aware of his incentives they will not be cheering when Poona gets a sack.   It will be like losing a comp pick to them.   Once he gets to 3 we might even get a thread on TSW about shutting Poona down. 

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah but you know if the crowd got that aware of his incentives they will not be cheering when Poona gets a sack.   It will be like losing a comp pick to them.   Once he gets to 3 we might even get a thread on TSW about shutting Poona down. 

Interesting. My observation is that TSW works in opposite way. Almost nobody here cares about salary cap, and from those who do, most think you can do everything you want.

I do care about comp picks and salary cap a lot, and I'd be happy if he gets as many sacks as he can :)

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

Interesting. My observation is that TSW works in opposite way. Almost nobody here cares about salary cap, and from those who do, most think you can do everything you want.

I do care about comp picks and salary cap a lot, and I'd be happy if he gets as many sacks as he can :)

Yeah you might be right at this moment.   That might be something that will only show up after the Bills sell a cap-hell situation to the base.

I remember being on this board in 1998 talking about the pending tear down and urgency to "win now" and 99% of the board thought I was dead wrong and that nothing was going to change whatsoever.   It was inevitable if you understood the math.  

AFTER the tear down it was the exact opposite for about 15 years.  Irrational fear of all things salary cap.   Which the McBeane regime used to manipulate the fan base and had Bills fans nodding their heads that being $30M+ over the salary cap and almost zero committments by 2019 was just a disaster laid at Beane's feet. :lol:

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m sure he’s the back up one, but I could see him on obvious running down and go line situations where he could be playing next to Jones

Are three techs are Oliver Williams, and settle

Note, I could see a situation where Tim settle gets traded for a draft pick

You mean Phillips I assume.  

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nothing will be worse than the Star People talking up the “invisible hand” and (to use another Simpsons reference) telling us to “listen to the notes that AREN’T played.”

On 5/3/2023 at 2:02 PM, NewEra said:

Same here.  He gets my vote to start the season.  Dodson has been ok on occasion but his game vs the Vikings really rubbed me the wrong way.  One game, without starters reps- I get it.  He’s just not ideal. Spector might not be either, but I think he has the makings of what could be the mike version of Milano.  If he and Dorian become players- we have the making of a low budget kuechly, Davis, Thompson.  Instead of using THREE 1st rd picks, they’d have invested a 4th, 3rd and 7th.  

I couldn’t be happier that McB isn’t investing 1st and 2nd round high draft picks on LBers. 

Linebacker is a very devalued position in today's NFL.  Milano was a 5th round pick and has had a great career for us.  Lets hope Spector and Williams follow the same trajectory.  

On 5/3/2023 at 1:27 PM, Mynamemike said:

People were definitely high on him after last preseason.  I agree I think the staff has him as their man in the middle as well.  I don’t think Bernard is anything more than Milanos backup and special teamer but who knows.  Excited to see the battle during camp play out.  

It will be an exciting battle to see who starts next to Milano this season.  It seems that Edmunds was just handed the MLB job from when he was drafted because he was a first round pick.  I think he would have developed into a better all around player if he was given competition to be the starter.  But Edmunds is gone.  Time to move forward.

• Agree 2

On 5/6/2023 at 2:03 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I actually think that teams want players to reach their incentives most of the time, and even get them into the game to help them get there if it’s close.

Teams can develop a reputation for being helpful or hurtful in these scenarios. Players and agents pay attention to these kinds of things and it has a significant impact during free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/6/2023 at 5:41 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Nothing will be worse than the Star People talking up the “invisible hand” and (to use another Simpsons reference) telling us to “listen to the notes that AREN’T played.”

Ooh, I’m totally using the second one, get ready Stadium wall, it’s coming,  😁👍

On 5/6/2023 at 4:15 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah you might be right at this moment.   That might be something that will only show up after the Bills sell a cap-hell situation to the base.

I remember being on this board in 1998 talking about the pending tear down and urgency to "win now" and 99% of the board thought I was dead wrong and that nothing was going to change whatsoever.   It was inevitable if you understood the math.  

AFTER the tear down it was the exact opposite for about 15 years.  Irrational fear of all things salary cap.   Which the McBeane regime used to manipulate the fan base and had Bills fans nodding their heads that being $30M+ over the salary cap and almost zero committments by 2019 was just a disaster laid at Beane's feet. :lol:

Modern dictators need to do a case study on the drought era Bills and how propping up a fear of a mythical entity (the salary cap) got people to accept and spend money on a crap product for almost 2 decades. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mathja said:

I actually think that teams want players to reach their incentives most of the time, and even get them into the game to help them get there if it’s close.

Teams can develop a reputation for being helpful or hurtful in these scenarios. Players and agents pay attention to these kinds of things and it has a significant impact during free agency.

Playing well paid players in garbage time late in the season and exposing them to unnecessary injury to earn incentives really doesn't impact negotiations with other players positively in free agency.    I know fans think that things like not using franchise tags and other broadly "player friendly" stuff done at the expense of the organization builds your reputation as a team but they really don't.   See the Marv Levy GM'ed Bills.   Agents simply abused their hyper-accommodating approach and it got so out of control Aaron Schobel refused to play unless he could just fly in for games. :lol:   There is a kindness/weakness dynamic at play.  

And really, players don't care all that much about other players money.  You had a reasonable chance to make plays and didn't achieve incentives?   That's a you problem.  Every player worth signing thinks they are the exception in some regard.

How they are treated day to day, the facilities, coaching and schemes......things like that matter a lot.   Allowing an underachiever or meh player like Vernon Butler to reach a playing time incentive just to show you care about all your players money?  Not a bit.   

The way to earn credits as an employer thru incentives?  You build in those incentives........but then if they get close to them and they do it the right way all year and you really value them.........you just find a way to pay them the bonus one way or another.    You don't make them come to work in "garbage time" to force them to reach a number.   Re-inforcing the right kind of commitment and effort is what's important and valuable to the organization long term.    

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/2/2023 at 2:13 PM, MWK said:

More sacks than bum Ed Oliver last year, and he's playing 1T.

Oliver's a bum now? Smh

I only wish he'd chill with his overcelebrating after making ordinary plays, outside of that I'm cool with what he brings.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.