Poona Ford signing with the Bills

mathja

21 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Trading Ed Oliver gets us extra cap space for 2023.  Probably not quite that much, since you also need to spend something to sign a decent replacement.  Assuming there is still anyone out there on the market.

If you are worried about re-signing Micah Hyde in 2024, then just don't give Oliver a long-term extension.  If he walks in free agency, then we have that extra cap space available next year regardless.

Looking to the future is great.  But at some point, you do need to think about fielding the best team today.  We already have a huge question mark in the middle of our defense at linebacker.  Do we really want to downgrade our D-Line too, just for some extra cap space?

All good points.  The reason I would be willing to downgrade the Dline this year is that according to Spotrac, the Bills are really far over the cap next year already and they have several high priced free agents to worry about.  In my opinion, a DT rotation of Ford/Jones/Phillips/Settle/5th guy signed for Vet min is solid.  Ford essentially takes Oliver's roster spot.  With the state of the Bills cap next year, the high likelihood Oliver won't be able to be re-signed next year, his salary, and the % of snaps he is likely to play with the Bills' heavy emphasis on D-line rotation,  his contract seems like a poor value to me even though I really like him as a player and I would rather see that money rolled forward into next year.  I don't think it's likely to happen, that's just what I would do. 

I do agree our situation at MLB makes DT even more important and understand why Oliver will probably be on the team one more year.  Which isn't the worst thing given that he is probably our second best player on the D-line.  

2 hours ago, Adam727 said:

All good points.  The reason I would be willing to downgrade the Dline this year is that according to Spotrac, the Bills are really far over the cap next year already and they have several high priced free agents to worry about.  In my opinion, a DT rotation of Ford/Jones/Phillips/Settle/5th guy signed for Vet min is solid.  Ford essentially takes Oliver's roster spot.  With the state of the Bills cap next year, the high likelihood Oliver won't be able to be re-signed next year, his salary, and the % of snaps he is likely to play with the Bills' heavy emphasis on D-line rotation,  his contract seems like a poor value to me even though I really like him as a player and I would rather see that money rolled forward into next year.  I don't think it's likely to happen, that's just what I would do. 

I do agree our situation at MLB makes DT even more important and understand why Oliver will probably be on the team one more year.  Which isn't the worst thing given that he is probably our second best player on the D-line.  

Adam, look at it this way, if the Bills were willing to let Edmunds (defensive QB and captain) walk this offseason, think about how much easier of a decision that’s going to be with Oliver next year. IMO, he’s as good as gone. Now the interesting question will be to watch how he plays this year. Will he be going all out to increase his value elsewhere or will he mail it in knowing he’ll be a cap casualty. We’re all going to find out together. 

Welcome to the big contract franchise QB era of Bills history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

18 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Poona will be lined up next to Oliver, (rotating with DJones) not in place of Oliver.  Oliver is a 3Tech and rotates with Settle and Phillips)

Please pay attention to the details before you post.   

Having said that, if one believes in either Settle's ability or Phillips ability to stay on the dam- field, now there is an argument for dumping Oliver's $10m hit for sure.   Personally,  would roll those dice if it means D Hop for the offense.   Beane is shrewd though, he may wait out the D Hop thing all the way to camp.   Drafting Kincaid sent a message to his camp that we really don't need-need D Hop.  

In Beane I trust.  He seems to play the negotiating leverage game as well as anyone.   

From what I'm hearing, Poona is more of a 3Tech than 1Tech. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

From what I'm hearing, Poona is more of a 3Tech than 1Tech. 

He’s definitely a 1 who can play 3. 

I’m talking about how great of a team player Poona is - Pete Carroll addressed how he’s better playing nose tackle over the ball, but they had to play him out of position last year.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He’s definitely a 1 who can play 3. 

I’m talking about how great of a team player Poona is - Pete Carroll addressed how he’s better playing nose tackle over the ball, but they had to play him out of position last year.  

Sal was talking about this yesterday.  I was under the impression all along he was a 1 but he was saying he's more of a penetrator.  I'm hoping he plays 1 with us because I think we lack there outside of Jones.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2023 at 1:27 PM, Mynamemike said:

People were definitely high on him after last preseason.  I agree I think the staff has him as their man in the middle as well.  I don’t think Bernard is anything more than Milanos backup and special teamer but who knows.  Excited to see the battle during camp play out.  

There is zero chance that Babylon Spector starts the season at MLB.

• Disagree 3

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sal was talking about this yesterday.  I was under the impression all along he was a 1 but he was saying he's more of a penetrator.  I'm hoping he plays 1 with us because I think we lack there outside of Jones.

He's a 1 that can also play 3.  

@SCBillsis correct that Pete Carroll said that Ford best playing nose tackle over the ball and they were playing him out of position last year. Greg Cosell agreed he's best playing over the ball. Pete also said they were playing him too many snaps in 2022 and it wore him down by the end of the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/3/2023 at 4:11 PM, ddaryl said:

They all call him, "Poona"
'Cause no one really knows his name  (it's Kaylon FYI)
He works the D-Line
Dancin' and a clubbin is his trade
his mama was Mez'can
And his daddy was the ace of spades.

Love me some ole ZZ Top

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Adam, look at it this way, if the Bills were willing to let Edmunds (defensive QB and captain) walk this offseason, think about how much easier of a decision that’s going to be with Oliver next year. IMO, he’s as good as gone. Now the interesting question will be to watch how he plays this year. Will he be going all out to increase his value elsewhere or will he mail it in knowing he’ll be a cap casualty. We’re all going to find out together. 

Welcome to the big contract franchise QB era of Bills history.

Good as gone next year I think. he can and will play for his next contract. Which Bills cannot afford.

So hoping we get his highlight reel this coming season. But he will be making business decisions.

He sees the writing on the wall just as we do.

Next season we are drafting  and looking to intermediate FA for D Line. cuz Monies

If he had been a deserved all pro last two years ? Maybe a contract would be getting done. but he aint and it aint

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

There is zero chance that Babylon Spector starts the season at MLB.

Zero?  I think to say that, he’d have to be competing against proven commodities. He’s not. He’s competing against nobodies and AJ Klein, the one guy the FO should be praying doesn’t win the job.

what makes you say zero?

• Like (+1) 4

On 5/4/2023 at 7:44 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

He has played 1-tech and a lot of (2-gap) over the center in Seattle's schemes. They did not have much of a rotation and started moving him around a lot even playing some edge, but Carrol said in an interview that interior DL was his most natural spot. His body type is perfect for anchoring in the middle, and in our rotation schemes he will stay more fresh.

Earlier in the year this was mentioned.

"Pete Carroll says Seahawks overused Poona Ford on the defensive line. He likes Ford over the center at nose tackle. They played him more outside as 3-technique and even 5-tech. "I think we wore him down." Expect Ford back over the nose, among other changes to DL/run D in 2023"

On 5/4/2023 at 3:44 PM, Adam727 said:

This will be last year for Poyer and Hyde too....their net cap of $15M will bring down the cap cost. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.