Poona Ford signing with the Bills

mathja

Fabulous news.

They're reporting he took less. If so, that's really unusual for a guy at his stage. Over 5 years he's made about $14M. Guys aren't usually giving discounts to new teams at that stage of their financial lives.

Excellent.

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Probably not going to get that this year. The scouting report on Dorian Williams reads like a poor man's version of Edmunds - sideline to sideline range, but slow to process. Dodson isn't much of a processor. Bernard didn't looked he belonged on the field at all last year.

I can't help but come back to Milano as the only guy on the roster that makes sense as a MLB. Beane shut the idea down early in the offseason, but maybe they've changed their tune after seeing how FA and the draft went? Maybe the idea is get some big bodies in front of Milano so he won't get steamrolled and let his processing be enough to make up for his size. I can stomach the idea of Dorian Williams or even Bernard as the will. I just can't think of any other LB combination that makes sense.

So then why not just put Milano at MLB? If Bernard is supposedly a Milano clone, but not nearly as developed, wouldn't it make sense to put the better player at the more important position?

I think Beane and McDermott are happy enough with all the options.  I do believe that camp will sort all this out.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Maybe this is the best hope for both instinctive and athletic enough

FRn92HFX0AMnvib?format=png&name=small

Look good in preseason last year.    

Nice to see someone else talking about Baylon Spector.  I thought he looked real good last preseason also.  Kid comes out of a program (Clemson) that always plays good defense.  Did not look overmatched on the field.  Dare I say he reminded me some of Zach Thomas.  I think he is the darkhouse to be our starting MLB.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5

50 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Nice to see someone else talking about Baylon Spector.  I thought he looked real good last preseason also.  Kid comes out of a program (Clemson) that always plays good defense.  Did not look overmatched on the field.  Dare I say he reminded me some of Zach Thomas.  I think he is the darkhouse to be our starting MLB.  

People were definitely high on him after last preseason.  I agree I think the staff has him as their man in the middle as well.  I don’t think Bernard is anything more than Milanos backup and special teamer but who knows.  Excited to see the battle during camp play out.  

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Same here.  He gets my vote to start the season.  Dodson has been ok on occasion but his game vs the Vikings really rubbed me the wrong way.  One game, without starters reps- I get it.  He’s just not ideal. Spector might not be either, but I think he has the makings of what could be the mike version of Milano.  If he and Dorian become players- we have the making of a low budget kuechly, Davis, Thompson.  Instead of using THREE 1st rd picks, they’d have invested a 4th, 3rd and 7th.  

I couldn’t be happier that McB isn’t investing 1st and 2nd round high draft picks on LBers. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Surely the end for Tim Settle? Poona and Daquan as the 1T, Ed and Big Phil at 3T. 

But still 0 DTs signed beyond 2023.

Hmm it could be his end but it makes no sense to cut him. Only way to save something is to trade him, and that still leaves us with $3M total dead cap. But I guess he could have at least some trade value - conditional 6th?

21 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Tim Settle or Phillips would be an easy cut. Currently only Oliver and Jones would cause cap issues

Easy cut? Right now his cap hit is higher if we cut him. Post 1 June we may save something but its negligible.

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

Hmm it could be his end but it makes no sense to cut him. Only way to save something is to trade him, and that still leaves us with $3M total dead cap. But I guess he could have at least some trade value - conditional 6th?

The sense it makes is he was not very good. 

23 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

*whispers....now we can trade Ed Oliver to make room for Hopkins*

Poona will be lined up next to Oliver, (rotating with DJones) not in place of Oliver.  Oliver is a 3Tech and rotates with Settle and Phillips)

Please pay attention to the details before you post.   

Having said that, if one believes in either Settle's ability or Phillips ability to stay on the dam- field, now there is an argument for dumping Oliver's $10m hit for sure.   Personally,  would roll those dice if it means D Hop for the offense.   Beane is shrewd though, he may wait out the D Hop thing all the way to camp.   Drafting Kincaid sent a message to his camp that we really don't need-need D Hop.  

In Beane I trust.  He seems to play the negotiating leverage game as well as anyone.   

• Like (+1) 1

They all call him, "Poona"
'Cause no one really knows his name  (it's Kaylon FYI)
He works the D-Line
Dancin' and a clubbin is his trade
his mama was Mez'can
And his daddy was the ace of spades.

• Like (+1) 1

Im ecstatic over the signing.  Ford

is a powerful man.  He excelled in the 4-3 and took a step back in the 3-4 as he is a great run stuffer and has improved significantly as a penetrator.

He could either be a 5th DT or a

swap (I know unlikely) with AZ for D. Hop.  No draft picks as they already have a ton in AZ.

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

People were definitely high on him after last preseason.  I agree I think the staff has him as their man in the middle as well.  I don’t think Bernard is anything more than Milanos backup and special teamer but who knows.  Excited to see the battle during camp play out.  

If that is the case, then we made a poor 3rd round choice.  SB teams need to make their draft count,

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

If that is the case, then we made a poor 3rd round choice.  SB teams need to make their draft count,

Another way to look at it could be our linebacker room for the next few years is mainly:

Milano

Williams

Bernard

Spector

Matakevich as Special Teams for however long they want to keep him around and AJ Klein/Tyrel Dodson as guys who may or may not be around. 

As someone who doesn’t think we should be investing heavy at linebacker around Milano… if those 3 can hold it down, 1 at MLB and the other 2 as depth, for the next 3 years of rookie contracts… I don’t hate it. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

I've considered it a poor pick since it was made. They love throwing 2-3 mid-level players at a position and seeing who stinks the least. 

11 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Poona will be lined up next to Oliver, (rotating with DJones) not in place of Oliver.  Oliver is a 3Tech and rotates with Settle and Phillips)

Please pay attention to the details before you post.   

Having said that, if one believes in either Settle's ability or Phillips ability to stay on the dam- field, now there is an argument for dumping Oliver's $10m hit for sure.   Personally,  would roll those dice if it means D Hop for the offense.   Beane is shrewd though, he may wait out the D Hop thing all the way to camp.   Drafting Kincaid sent a message to his camp that we really don't need-need D Hop.  

In Beane I trust.  He seems to play the negotiating leverage game as well as anyone.   

I think Matt Ioannidis would give us a nice rotational 3T if we were able to trade Oliver.

Now the question comes down to compensation also. $10 million in cap minus whatever his replacement costs, so let’s say $8 million in savings plus a 4th round pick maybe? I’m not sure Oliver had much more value than a 4th on the market. 

51 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think Matt Ioannidis would give us a nice rotational 3T if we were able to trade Oliver.

Now the question comes down to compensation also. $10 million in cap minus whatever his replacement costs, so let’s say $8 million in savings plus a 4th round pick maybe? I’m not sure Oliver had much more value than a 4th on the market. 

A 5th would be my guess as best offer.  And I would take it and get the 10m cap back

11 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

Then stop putting your fingers to your nose

I remember Stuttering John walking up to Alex Baldwin, and he asked Alex(stuttering all the way) “So you are married to Kim Bassinger?  Can I smell your fingers?” Lmao

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.