Poona Ford signing with the Bills

mathja

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Surely the end for Tim Settle? Poona and Daquan as the 1T, Ed and Big Phil at 3T. 

But still 0 DTs signed beyond 2023.

Big Phil?  More like Big Inactive.  

love the guy.  Love what he brings out there when he’s healthy, but we can’t count on him staying healthy.  Dude is always injured

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills!Win! said:

Does the average fan know who this guy is? I only watch the bills 

He’s really good his PFF grades prior to last year are pro bowl level he suffered cause they changed their defense to something he doesn’t really do as well. 
He really is a nice pickup for the defense  and will greatly help stuff the run. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Great, a 27 year old Ford

We will be lucky if he makes it to camp...

Found On Road Dead... Fix Or Repair Daily... and of course the ever popular "They circled the problem."

American Cars GIF by Namaste Car

Actually my 2013 F-150 with over 200K miles is a STUD and my Chevy pickup was a piece of crap.

11 hours ago, mrags said:

RIP Buffalo Bill Welter 

The founder of Buffalo Wild Wings believed in treating his employees well. Unlike most of the corporacrats Welter didn't want to exploit his workers and felt that they were just as important as his customers, his executives, and the shareholders... a view not held by most executives in big business.

10 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Damn. That’s a thicc boi 

Does this mean he's... phat?

10 hours ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

Hes a load, shorter but plays with great leverage and hand technique. Hard to get inside of his pads. 

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Waita minnut pro football reference has him at 5'11", 310 lbs - isn't he UNDERSIZED?

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

“5 feet 11 and 310 pounds, he is one of the most uniquely shaped defensive tackles but with the wingspan of a 6-foot-8 human being. The shorter base and long arms help him keep defenders off his pads while holding his ground. Ford seems like a terrific fit for the one-technique position in the Bills’ defensive scheme, which is also Jones’ natural spot. Ford will likely be a core rotational defensive tackle” - Joe B The Athletic

Rock climbers are measured by a body ratio known as the "Ape Index." It's the number derived from dividing wingspan by height. The famous rock climber Alex Honnold, immortalized in the documentary "Free Solo" has an ape index of 1.04 which is a minimum value for most world class rock climbers.

3rd round LB Dorian Williams is 73" tall and has a 80.5" wingspan giving him an ape index of 1.10

Poona Ford is 71" tall and has an 80.25" wingspan giving him an ape index of 1.13

You can see in the video how Ford consistently uses his wingspan to keep at arms length and shed blockers... and of course he has that very low center of gravity which makes him difficult to move.

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I thought Ingram was totally washed… until he became an absolute terror against us. If that is the version we would be getting, I would be on board.

Interestingly the only criticism of Melvin Ingram as an NFL prospect was that he was short-armed: 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/12/melvin-ingram-thinks-the-questions-about-his-arm-length-are-silly/

Another player who was discounted because many thought he wasn't a "long enough" athlete was the great pass rusher Elvis Dumervill who stood only 5'11" tall. This didn't stop him from compiling 105 career sacks. The fact that his arms were 32.75" and his wingspan 78" (giving him an ape index of almost 1.10) was virtually overlooked causing him to slide into the 4th round despite his dominating collegiate career.

In many sports, having long arms and a big wingspan is an advantage... and more than makes up for "being short."

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

DO YOU HEAR ME TALKIN' ATCHA??

Lol - my friends and I must have worn the grooves flat on Cat Scratch Fever album as a kid.

'I got it right in my hands just for you baby.  I think I'm gonna yank on it one time. Look Out!!!' :w00t:

(He's talking about his guitar, people! :) )

Edited by stevewin
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Found On Road Dead... Fix Or Repair Daily... and of course the ever popular "They circled the problem."

American Cars GIF by Namaste Car

Actually my 2013 F-150 with over 200K miles is a STUD and my Chevy pickup was a piece of crap.

The founder of Buffalo Wild Wings believed in treating his employees well. Unlike most of the corporacrats Welter didn't want to exploit his workers and felt that they were just as important as his customers, his executives, and the shareholders... a view not held by most executives in big business.

Does this mean he's... phat?

Rock climbers are measured by a body ratio known as the "Ape Index." It's the number derived from dividing wingspan by height. The famous rock climber Alex Honnold, immortalized in the documentary "Free Solo" has an ape index of 1.04 which is a minimum value for most world class rock climbers.

3rd round LB Dorian Williams is 73" tall and has a 80.5" wingspan giving him an ape index of 1.10

Poona Ford is 71" tall and has an 80.25" wingspan giving him an ape index of 1.13

You can see in the video how Ford consistently uses his wingspan to keep at arms length and shed blockers... and of course he has that very low center of gravity which makes him difficult to move.

Interestingly the only criticism of Melvin Ingram as an NFL prospect was that he was short-armed: 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/12/melvin-ingram-thinks-the-questions-about-his-arm-length-are-silly/

Another player who was discounted because many thought he wasn't a "long enough" athlete was the great pass rusher Elvis Dumervill who stood only 5'11" tall. This didn't stop him from compiling 105 career sacks. The fact that his arms were 32.75" and his wingspan 78" (giving him an ape index of almost 1.10) was virtually overlooked causing him to slide into the 4th round despite his dominating collegiate career.

In many sports, having long arms and a big wingspan is an advantage.

He wasn’t the founder of BWW.  It he was a franchise owner. In the Las Vegas area he owned all of the locations until he sold his franchise to BWW corporate. 

yes. He was a very good man. He treated his employees like family. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

Ed probably benefits from this more than anyone. He needs a big 1 tech next to him to chew up blockers so he can get after the qb.

So he can walk as a UFA next year? Great strategy. If we think he’s good then sign him.

7 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

You've made that abundantly clear in multiple threads. I disagree. This thread is also about Poona, not Oliver. 

It’s definitely about Oliver in multiple ways.

• Vomit 1

13 hours ago, Process said:

Very good signing. I'm interested to see the contract though. Rostering five vet DTs all making $3M+ per year doesn't seem like a great use of cap space. 

May be they can cut Tim Settle

47 minutes ago, ganesh said:

May be they can cut Tim Settle

He took a pay cut restructure in the offseason so very unlikely. 

Options at DT, from most likely to least likely:

1) Keep Oliver, Jones, Ford, Phillips, and Settle on 1 year deals.

2) Keep all 5 and extend Jones

3) Trade Oliver

4) Keep all 5 and extend Jones and Oliver

5) Keep all 5 and extend Oliver

6) Release Phillips or Settle

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

10 hours ago, Adam727 said:

$11mil in free cap space that we can hopefully use to re-sign Micah Hyde next year.  And probably a day 3 draft pick.  I like Oliver I just don't think the Bills can afford him right now.  

Trading Ed Oliver gets us extra cap space for 2023.  Probably not quite that much, since you also need to spend something to sign a decent replacement.  Assuming there is still anyone out there on the market.

If you are worried about re-signing Micah Hyde in 2024, then just don't give Oliver a long-term extension.  If he walks in free agency, then we have that extra cap space available next year regardless.

Looking to the future is great.  But at some point, you do need to think about fielding the best team today.  We already have a huge question mark in the middle of our defense at linebacker.  Do we really want to downgrade our D-Line too, just for some extra cap space?

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Trading Ed Oliver gets us extra cap space for 2023.  Probably not quite that much, since you also need to spend something to sign a decent replacement.  Assuming there is still anyone out there on the market.

If you are worried about re-signing Micah Hyde in 2024, then just don't give Oliver a long-term extension.  If he walks in free agency, then we have that extra cap space available next year regardless.

Looking to the future is great.  But at some point, you do need to think about fielding the best team today.  We already have a huge question mark in the middle of our defense at linebacker.  Do we really want to downgrade our D-Line too, just for some extra cap space?

I think we're pretty well stocked beyond this year, in terms of multi-year contracts, at:

EDGE - Von, Rousseau, Basham

LB - Milano, Williams, Bernard, Spector (I do think Williams could become a good MLB here, eventually)

CB - Tre, Elam, Benford, Johnson

OT - Dawkins, Brown, Doyle

IOL - Morse, McGovern, Torrence, Bates

TE - Knox, Kincaid

WR - Diggs, Harty, Shakir, Shorter

RB - Cook

QB - Allen

DT and S jump off the page as positions that will need future investment after this year, with EDGE, OT, WR and RB looking like they will need some financial and/or draft resources as well.   Morse and Tre are my wild cards after this year, depending on how they perform this year. 

At DT, I'd love to extend Jones and then get a look at Poona Ford to see if he's the second piece we extend.  Phillips, Settle and Oliver after this year.. meh, we'll see. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Probably not going to get that this year. The scouting report on Dorian Williams reads like a poor man's version of Edmunds - sideline to sideline range, but slow to process. Dodson isn't much of a processor. Bernard didn't looked he belonged on the field at all last year.

Maybe this is the best hope for both instinctive and athletic enough

FRn92HFX0AMnvib?format=png&name=small

Look good in preseason last year.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

We needed this.

A run-stopping, blocker eating, 1-tech that can spell Jones and perhaps keep him fresh and healthy down the stretch.

Having that deal in the works helps me understand why Beane did not make any moves to shore that position via the draft.

Hopefully he pans out better than Settle did at filling that role.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

This is a massive get. We needed another big body to anchor the defense. Him turning down more money to come to buffalo has already endeared him to my heart.

Go Bills!

Seems like he has a great personality.  Will be a perfect fit for our locker room and community 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.