Poona Ford signing with the Bills

mathja

10 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

DT depth murdered us against cincy last year so it’s tough to dislike this signing 

Yep, I kind of figured as soon as I heard Daq was out for that game we'd have issues against the run.

Daq and Ford in the middle will make it much harder for teams to run inside against us, which was a true weak spot in this defense.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Random thoughts about Poona...

Poo graded out at 73 or better for his first three seasons on PFF.  70-84 on their scale is a "starter quality."  His rookie year, in limited action, he was a 90.  

Last year, he graded out at 56.  Apparently, he did not thrive as a 3-4 NT.   Though he did have 3 sacks, the most in his career. 

Obviously, he's better known as a run-stuffer than a sack artist.   According to an SI article written in 2021, "Ford's run defense grade ranks in the 85th percentile since breaking into the league as an undrafted rookie out of Texas in 2018."  

At aged 27 and back in a 4-3, we should see a Poo in his prime doing what we need him to do: clogging up the middle of the field.  

www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/pro-football-focus-ranks-seahawks-defensive-standouts-heading-towards-2021-season#:~:text=Poona%20Ford%20PFF%20Ranking%3A%2019th%20out%20of%2032,wasn%27t%20known%20for%20his%20interior%20pass%20rushing%20ability.

Agree, he should be better in our scheme.

However, he didn't play the traditional NT role as much LY (as you stated).  That was AL Woods role.  Poona was more often lined up at 3 or 3i, sometimes 5 technique.  Seattle was more versatile with their fronts last season, predominantly a 3-4 scheme, but still had some of their 4-3 under mixed in.

I'd expect Coach will utilize him most at 1-tech, but can be versatile.  Daquon isn't getting any younger and took on a large role for us LY, we needed someone who could take more rotation with him.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Random thoughts about Poona...

Poo graded out at 73 or better for his first three seasons on PFF.  70-84 on their scale is a "starter quality."  His rookie year, in limited action, he was a 90.  

Last year, he graded out at 56.  Apparently, he did not thrive as a 3-4 NT.   Though he did have 3 sacks, the most in his career. 

Obviously, he's better known as a run-stuffer than a sack artist.   According to an SI article written in 2021, "Ford's run defense grade ranks in the 85th percentile since breaking into the league as an undrafted rookie out of Texas in 2018."  

At aged 27 and back in a 4-3, we should see a Poo in his prime doing what we need him to do: clogging up the middle of the field.  

www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/pro-football-focus-ranks-seahawks-defensive-standouts-heading-towards-2021-season#:~:text=Poona%20Ford%20PFF%20Ranking%3A%2019th%20out%20of%2032,wasn%27t%20known%20for%20his%20interior%20pass%20rushing%20ability.

However, he didn't play the traditional NT role as much LY (as you stated).  That was AL Woods role.  Poona was more often lined up at 3 or 3i, sometimes 5 technique.  Seattle was more versatile with their fronts last season, predominantly a 3-4 scheme, but still had some of their 4-3 under mixed in.

I'd expect Coach will utilize him most at 1-tech, but can be versatile.  Daquon isn't getting any younger and took on a large role for us LY, we needed someone who could take more rotation with him.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

To the “pay Ed Oliver” crowd .. 

Does it not concern you that we apparently need a 1-2 rotation of above average 1T’s next to Oliver to, hopefully, unlock his potential?

If he goes off, great … that’s not someone you pay.  That’s a luxury we won’t be able to afford.   

I don't think his potential needs unlocked, rather he needs to be more consistent. 

Not an excuse, but he had below-average talent lining up at 1-tech, until LY.   Not to mention our DEs struggled prior to LY, and after Vin went down.

His injuries LY didn't help either, his ankle was worse than originally reported and he battled throughout the season just like other guys up front.

Daquon and Poona are good/solid players, but not like either are superstars. I wouldn't say we're investing into a 1-tech to unlock Ed's potential.

Not easy finding disruptive 3-tech DTs, and while Ed isn't Aaron Donald, he is a very good player in his own regard and what he's asked to do.  

Beane, unsolicited, has brought up the desire to retain Ed long term.  I think they'll try to get this done before the season, I'm expecting Ed to have a great year (if he can stay healthy)

24 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I don't think his potential needs unlocked, rather he needs to be more consistent. 

Not an excuse, but he had below-average talent lining up at 1-tech, until LY.   Not to mention our DEs struggled prior to LY, and after Vin went down.

His injuries LY didn't help either, his ankle was worse than originally reported and he battled throughout the season just like other guys up front.

Daquon and Poona are good/solid players, but not like either are superstars. I wouldn't say we're investing into a 1-tech to unlock Ed's potential.

Not easy finding disruptive 3-tech DTs, and while Ed isn't Aaron Donald, he is a very good player in his own regard and what he's asked to do.  

Beane, unsolicited, has brought up the desire to retain Ed long term.  I think they'll try to get this done before the season, I'm expecting Ed to have a great year (if he can stay healthy)

I think there’s a better chance of us retaining at all over there and there was a retaining Tremaine Edmunds, but we’re gonna have to see on that the market can be ridiculous

For this year or set a defensive tackle now let’s get some pass rush help

2 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

I'm not trying to overreact to a guy who may not even play 50% of the snaps but this is a Super Bowl winning move to me. The top teams live off short term moves like this every year 

You're not doing a very good job of it.  LOL.  It's probably my favorite free agent signing that wasn't one of our own last year.  Even before this signing the only thing preventing this roster from winning the Super Bowl is injuries.  Same as last year.

44 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

My mistake.  Thanks for correcting.  But still interesting that his PFF grade dropped when he went to 3-4.  Seems to perform better in a 4-3.  And while it would be ideal if he excelled at getting after the QB as well as stuffing RBs, I'm glad he's a solid force against the run.  We've been soft in the middle - he helps solve that.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

My mistake.  Thanks for correcting.  But still interesting that his PFF grade dropped when he went to 3-4.  Seems to perform better in a 4-3.  And while it would be ideal if he excelled at getting after the QB as well as stuffing RBs, I'm glad he's a solid force against the run.  We've been soft in the middle - he helps solve that.  

Sal discussed this a little bit earlier after the signing.

Oh and we don't need a nickname thread if anyone feels like staying one, they call him "poo"

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Does the average fan know who this guy is? I only watch the bills 

Can I ask you again this time next year?   😋

I have no idea about this guy, but I like that he started about 4 years, and he’s still “young” at 27. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Does the average fan know who this guy is? I only watch the bills 

I'm with you.  I don't watch many NFL games that don't involve the Bills.  But I lived in Seattle a couple years ago so, yeah, I know Poo a little.  Mostly, I know him from reading about the D Linemen that were available in free agency because I was hoping we'd get one.  

2 hours ago, babulator said:

Pretty excited about this one. I know he's a "run stopper" but he get's pretty good penetration too. I also like Daquan, feeling pretty good about the 1T.

I'm a Jordan P. fan but it was tough watching him down the stretch last year with that gimp arm. If we have to make room somewhere I think I keep Oliver & Settle over Jordan at 3T @ this point. Availability and upside and all.

If they want to nurse a season out of Phillips they might have to limit him to 10-15 or so snaps a game.    He can't stay healthy with a 40%-50% kinda' snap count.    The Bills aren't big on "designated pass rushers" but that's probably his worth to the team.   Lousy run defender anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm really hoping for a MLB that doesn't need to be kept spotless. Instincts would be a nice change.

Probably not going to get that this year. The scouting report on Dorian Williams reads like a poor man's version of Edmunds - sideline to sideline range, but slow to process. Dodson isn't much of a processor. Bernard didn't looked he belonged on the field at all last year.

I can't help but come back to Milano as the only guy on the roster that makes sense as a MLB. Beane shut the idea down early in the offseason, but maybe they've changed their tune after seeing how FA and the draft went? Maybe the idea is get some big bodies in front of Milano so he won't get steamrolled and let his processing be enough to make up for his size. I can stomach the idea of Dorian Williams or even Bernard as the will. I just can't think of any other LB combination that makes sense.

6 hours ago, Rigotz said:

This signing makes me more certain we’re gonna try Bernard at MLB.

You need big DT’s if you’re gonna use small LBs who struggle to disengage blockers.

So then why not just put Milano at MLB? If Bernard is supposedly a Milano clone, but not nearly as developed, wouldn't it make sense to put the better player at the more important position?

Edited by HappyDays

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Helluva pick up-  let’s see how much!

once we passed on a DT in the draft I was crossing my fingers that we could make this happen. 

Well, we Know how much. It’s the signing bonus where the big cash shows. That’s from Terry.

25 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm with you.  I don't watch many NFL games that don't involve the Bills.  But I lived in Seattle a couple years ago so, yeah, I know Poo a little.  Mostly, I know him from reading about the D Linemen that were available in free agency because I was hoping we'd get one.  

Lived?

Next thing you're gonna tell me it's your names not actually Hondo.

Say it ain't so!?!?

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Surely the end for Tim Settle? Poona and Daquan as the 1T, Ed and Big Phil at 3T. 

I think we will keep 5 DTs this year. We had a rash of injuries at the position last year so I think Beane will play it extra safe. An easy spot to make up the difference is at TE, just carry 2 and leave Morris on the PS. Or at RB, carry 3 (plus Gilliam) and leave Murray on the PS. DT isn't a position you want to suddenly find yourself thin at. Anyways it would cost more to cut Settle than to keep him.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.