Poona Ford signing with the Bills

mathja

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sign him then. 

Beane said he has been talking to his people and he hopes to get it done. Whether that means before the season or after the season remains to be seen.

But this concept of "you have to get something for him before you lose him for nothing" is short sighted and not a real thing.

You don't see a rash of teams trading away players in the last year of their rookie deal because they haven't gotten an extension done before the season. The reasons for that are:

1.) When GM's draft a player, they do it with the expectation that they have them for *at least* 4-5 seasons under a cost controlled Rookie deal. GM's don't think "well, I may or may not be able to get him back, so let's cut this deal shorter"

2.) Teams aren't interested in making deals for people who are only under contract for 1 year. Why give up a pick when they'll be free to sign for nothing in a year? Why give up a pick when you don't know if you're going to have him longer than a year? If it were to happen, we'd get peanuts in return because of these reasons.

3.) If we cannot re-sign a player on a Rookie deal and he signs elsewhere for big money, you get a compensatory pick. And that pick is likely to be more than you'd get in a trade anyways.

It's all the rage to point to Edmunds and say "we didn't trade him and now we've lost him for nothing in return". But that's not true. We got that year out of him last season and we're getting a 3rd Round pick on top of it. Which is more than we'd have gotten trading him.

Long story short, Oliver was never going to be traded. And in the small chance it were to have happened, it would have been done by now.

Now it doesn't make any sense any way you look at it. Why would we make ourselves worse at starting 3T when we don't have to? There's no one out there that is better than him. 

Why would we need to at this point? Our roster is pretty much set at this point. Especially when it comes to starters. We've filled all of our needs already and just need some small finishing touches. We're going to give away a starter for some reserve players at other positions? How does that make sense?

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Persistent about what? What exactly has changed? Trading Oliver has been a major discussion all offseason and they just signed a 5th DT that is a starter. What is the confusion?

I definitely recall folks suggesting that Oliver is best when he has a larger DT next to him. One could argue that signing Ford actually increases the likelihood that he stays, though I don't think Beane ever seriously entertained trading Oliver this year.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Persistent about what? What exactly has changed? Trading Oliver has been a major discussion all offseason and they just signed a 5th DT that is a starter. What is the confusion?

No confusion.  You want to trade Oliver who the Bills like to some extent and decided to do the 5th year option.  I don't think they're going to trade him.  Probably Edmunds scenario all over again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

$10 million in cap space.

So you would be OK with trading our starting 3-Tech Defensive Tackle for a late round draft pick, with the only benefit being that we gained some extra cap space?  This is also keeping in mind that:

1.  The only other 3-Tech DTs on our roster are Jordan Phillips (always hurt) and Tim Settle (below average)

2.  All the best free agents have been gone for months, and that $10 million would really only help sign veteran cap casualties.

In my opinion, our best bet is hoping Oliver plays great this season (similar to Tremaine Edmunds).  We reap the benefits of that great play for 2023.  If he wants to re-sign then great.  If not, we can get a 3rd-4th Round compensatory pick next season in return... which is higher than we would probably get trading him away right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

No confusion.  You want to trade Oliver who the Bills like to some extent and decided to do the 5th year option.  I don't think they're going to trade him.  Probably Edmunds scenario all over again.

I want to sign or trade Oliver. I don’t want to have him play out his contract and become a UFA.

I’m very clear about that.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I want to sign or trade Oliver. I don’t want to have him play out his contract and become a UFA.

I think it's possible they extend him, especially if it helps facilitate bringing in a FA Edge this year. They're not trading him, so by your preferences that would be the best outcome.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

As I said above, you understand that if that happens and we can't afford him and lose him that we'd get a Comp pick in return right?

We're getting a 3rd for Edmunds. Which is more than we would have gotten trying to trade him last season.

Whatever we'd get for Oliver now would be the same or less than the comp pick we'd get. And we'd get this year out of him as well. 

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Beane said he has been talking to his people and he hopes to get it done. Whether that means before the season or after the season remains to be seen.

But this concept of "you have to get something for him before you lose him for nothing" is short sighted and not a real thing.

You don't see a rash of teams trading away players in the last year of their rookie deal because they haven't gotten an extension done before the season. The reasons for that are:

1.) When GM's draft a player, they do it with the expectation that they have them for *at least* 4-5 seasons under a cost controlled Rookie deal. GM's don't think "well, I may or may not be able to get him back, so let's cut this deal shorter"

2.) Teams aren't interested in making deals for people who are only under contract for 1 year. Why give up a pick when they'll be free to sign for nothing in a year? Why give up a pick when you don't know if you're going to have him longer than a year? If it were to happen, we'd get peanuts in return because of these reasons.

3.) If we cannot re-sign a player on a Rookie deal and he signs elsewhere for big money, you get a compensatory pick. And that pick is more likely to be more than you'd get in a trade anyways.

It's all the rage to point to Edmunds and say "we didn't trade him and now we've lost him for nothing in return". But that's not true. We got that year out of him last season and we're getting a 3rd Round pick on top of it. Which is more than we'd have gotten trading him.

Long story short, Oliver was never going to be traded. And in the small chance it were to have happened, it would have been done by now.

Now it doesn't make any sense any way you look at it. Why would we make ourselves worse at starting 3T when we don't have to? There's no one out there that is better than him. 

Why would we need to? Our roster is pretty much set at this point. Especially when it comes to starters. We're going to give away a starter for some reserve players at other positions? How does that make sense?

Very well said here. People seem to be a little confused about the value that players (especially mediocre ones) have in the final year of their deals. This isn't MLB/NHL. No one wants rentals. Ed Oliver has much more value to us playing this year for the Bills and seeing what happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

In our defensive scheme, the two starting Defensive Tackles have different roles.

Poona Ford was signed to backup DaQuan Jones at the 1-Tech spot.  This was the position that Star Lotulelei manned for a few years, and is more about occupying blockers than getting penetration.

Ed Oliver plays the 3-Tech spot.  His backups are Jordan Phillips and Tim Settle.

36 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Melvin Ingram is violent.  Beane must be tired of seeing him on the other team causing havoc.....right?

He would have ended the Divisional at KC by himself if the QB wasn't Allen.  He was constantly in the backfield.  He was also a major reason we lost at Miami last season

Unless he was abusing 70 percent health Spencer Brown.  

But yea, he still has enough left in the tank to give us pass rush downs.  Rotate with Shaq and Groot.   

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Whatever helps improve edge. Can’t rely on Von Miller again.

You're kind of gloomy. I think there's a reasonable chance Miller comes back earlier rather than later and returns to form. Whether that's true or not, it's a good idea to add an edge to augment the DL. Epenesa and Basham are Jags at best.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You're kind of gloomy. I think there's a reasonable chance Miller comes back earlier rather than later and returns to form. Whether that's true or not, it's a good idea to add an edge to augment the DL. Epenesa and Basham are Jags at best.

Yes. in 2013, Von tore his ACL after 9 games. He then played all 16 games in 2014, had 14 sacks, 2nd team All-Pro

• Thank you (+1) 3

515 defense time ...

Rousseau ... Daquan ... Poooooona ... Oliver ... Von

Mint Milano

Elam                                                                             Tre'

Jonson

Hyde        Poyer

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.