Do you guys feel right about FA/Draft and the "Process" ?

PrimeTime101

are we better?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. how much better?

• We are Top 3 team better
    • We are better but we fell short in to many places
    • We are just a little bit better.
    • We are better at some position's but it will not be enough
    • We will struggle just like last year making it to AFC Champ game
    • This team still needs way to much help for me to be confident

Let's just skip the specifics and look at the picture as a whole. Ignore the names and stats but instead lets clue on what we did this offseason and draft.

The offensive line and WR team was a huge weakness this offseason. So we signed some FA's at the guard position and at the very least created a ton of competition at both guard positions. We added a TE that can play slot as well and gave Josh Allen a target.

At the HB position we lost our starter, but we have a rookie from last year with a bright future, likely a starter and created a ton of backup competition.

The Defensive Line, many thought we would pick up a big DI or any DI that had some talent.

Our Biggest Loss was ILB. Many of us wish we had that good ILB.. But what we have is a name coming back and more competition at the position.

For me we still have a hole at ILB, but are we not a much better team post FA/Draft?

I see a ton of negativity on these boards and I will not even call them haters. we all have the right to opinions and sometimes we get frustrated but I still ask.. Did we not get way better?

Thus the pole.

I am trying to keep this topic general non specific and look at the big picture.. so.. what say you?

I will be interested in Poll results, and TY for the read.

I think our talent level is about the same. Honestly the thing that worries me is Dorsey. Yeah, we got more talented on offense, but does he know how to utilize our existing and new talent. If Dorsey has another year like last, I think he gets canned. 

on defense I think we will regress which will put even more on offense. Losing Tremaine I think will be a bigger loss than what people expect (although I was ok with letting him walk). 

i think we just haven’t collectively improved talent-wise as a team.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I think our talent level is about the same. Honestly the thing that worries me is Dorsey. Yeah, we got more talented on offense, but does he know how to utilize our existing and new talent. If Dorsey has another year like last, I think he gets canned. 

on defense I think we will regress which will put even more on offense. Losing Tremaine I think will be a bigger loss than what people expect (although I was ok with letting him walk). 

thanks for sharing

I think IF these the players they got both in the draft & FA the Bills will be a ton better but like last year when Knox was on the field & they didn't throw to him he can't help, they had Morris & didn't throw to him he can't help, Motor/Hines wasn't used as much on the run game they can't help Hodgins is another one .

None of them can help if they aren't used correctly or sitting on the practice squad . The chiefs used their rookies last year from the beginning of the season so they could get better by the end & they won it all throw them into the fire & let them get hands on experience there's nothing better .

And the coaches will be able to see exactly how they will respond to the pressure . I'm not saying have them be starters & leave them in even if they are completely screwing things up but use them . I think Hodgins would still be here & could have contributed if integrated into the offense more he proved it in NY .

To if there is a player like Mckenzie that isn't producing get him out & give someone else a chance to prove their worth . If Mckenzie wasn't producing they can't do any worse by not producing but they might learn something or be the better of the 2 & make the difference we are all looking for .

But given the talent they have picked up as they say "Just Do It" go for broke i feel we've had the talent and now we are even better it's just putting it to use !! GO BILLS !!!!!!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, T master said:

I think IF these the players they got both in the draft & FA the Bills will be a ton better but like last year when Knox was on the field & they didn't throw to him he can't help, they had Morris & didn't throw to him he can't help, Motor/Hines wasn't used as much on the run game they can't help Hodgins is another one .

None of them can help if they aren't used correctly or sitting on the practice squad . The chiefs used their rookies last year from the beginning of the season so they could get better by the end & they won it all throw them into the fire & let them get hands on experience there's nothing better .

And the coaches will be able to see exactly how they will respond to the pressure . I'm not saying have them be starters & leave them in even if they are completely screwing things up but use them . I think Hodgins would still be here & could have contributed if integrated into the offense more he proved it in NY .

To if there is a player like Mckenzie that isn't producing get him out & give someone else a chance to prove their worth . If Mckenzie wasn't producing they can't do any worse by not producing but they might learn something or be the better of the 2 & make the difference we are all looking for .

But given the talent they have picked up as they say "Just Do It" go for broke i feel we've had the talent and now we are even better it's just putting it to use !! GO BILLS !!!!!!  

thanks for your reply

The Bills were an elite team last year and will be elite again this year.

There are no guarantees that get you to the superbowl. You build the best team you can and hope you can go on a run in the playoffs and get the ball to bounce your way a few times.

I think the offense is probably more talented than last year and the defense is about the same, or maybe a bit worse.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, MJS said:

There are no guarantees that get you to the superbowl. You build the best team you can and hope you can go on a run in the playoffs and get the ball to bounce your way a few times.

I think the offense is probably more talented than last year and the defense is about the same, or maybe a bit worse.

well said MJS

Impossible to say if we have "done enough". The AFC is a gauntlet. The Bills will be contenders again... but it comes down to being at their best and getting the bounces they need in the post season and that is just too hard to predict.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

The offense is more talented. Improvements on IOL, the addition of Kincaid, four quality rbs, and Dorsey with hopefully a year two leap at OC. If Von comes back relatively quickly, I think the D is close to a push. We lost Hyde early and he will be back along with Poyer. Rapp is a good young safety to add to the mix. MLB is the big question mark. I'm also keen to see what kind of changes result from McD taking over the defensive calls. My view is that the league has consciously tilted the rules and officiating to favor the offense, so if you have to choose, invest more there. It doesn't mean neglect the D, but I think the offseason shows that Beane and the team figured it out. No reason we should not be one of the favorites to win the SB again this year.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Impossible to say if we have "done enough". The AFC is a gauntlet. The Bills will be contenders again... but it comes down to being at their best and getting the bounces they need in the post season and that is just too hard to predict.

All you can do is strive to build a team that can win it all if you don't experience inordinate injuries. No one can plan for the vagaries of fortune. I think we're in pretty good shape. I'd like to see one of those veteran DL folks talk about and maybe better RT competition added one way or another.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

as always well said Gunner. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the Bills will not experience the drama Rollercoaster ride of 22.  The OL and pass catchers have been upgraded.  Josh in theory should have a cleaner pocket which should reduce turnovers. But the biggest wildcard will be Dorsey.  I have my doubts about his ability to blend everyone into an offense with an actual identity. I had always hoped Josh would have a steady offensive mentor (Dabol) forever.  Ok Ken....take the wheel....

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yikes, to this point,  I’m only one who voted, “This team still needs way too much help for me to be confident.”  

My rationale:

- Poor overall draft strategy, year after year. 
- Too much reliance on Josh Allen.

- Consistently under value Offensive line play.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Yikes, to this point,  I’m only one who voted, “This team still needs way too much help for me to be confident.”  

My rationale:

- Poor overall draft strategy, year after year. 
- Too much reliance on Josh Allen.

- Consistently under value Offensive line play.

This is interesting. What about the draft strategy has been poor each year? Their drafting hasn’t been poor in comparison to their peers. 

Maybe they’ve been too reliant on Josh in the past… but this year’s draft strategy was clearly to take players to help the offense become less reliant on Josh.

Maybe they’ve undervalued the offensive line in the past… I’m not sure how you can argue that this off-season? They made heavy investments into interior linemen both through free agency and the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

All this comes down to our coaching staff, both offense and defense being flexible enough in play design/ schemes to counter what our opponents are good at.  

I suspect we have enough talent to be successful, it boils down to the correct utilization of personnel and play design to keep opponents on their back foot.

If we can do this we will succeed. No one likes to hear this, But Josh needs to mature ( for lack of a better word) a bit more on how he approaches his job as QB, by utilizing the RBs and short pass aspects of the game, when appropriate, should he do this he and the team will be more successful. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Far too soon to see how it all gels...but there is reason that believe that this will be a better team then last year. How that will translate to the win/loss column is very fluid, however.

-IOL should be significantly better in run and pass pro

-The sum of Kincaid/Harty/Sheffield should upgrade on McKenzie/Crowder/Kumerow/Beasley

-Additions of Harris/Murray give new element to run game

-Allen's elbow should be healed along with Cook/Shakir possibly having expanded roles.

-On defense Having Hyde back and Poyer healed significantly upgrade the S position. Throw Rapp into the mix and we are deep there.

-Hoping White rebounds and Von comes back ready. Even if those 2 guys play at 75% of what they were preinjury that's a huge upgrade to what we had at the end of the year.

-Fraziet out/McDermott in at DC. This is going to be the biggest plus for the Bills. I actually like Frazier. Good man, a TON of knowledge. His presence will be missed during the week in the clubhouse. But he tended to be too passive. If Coach falls back to his roots as a playcaller that defense should be more attacking than we have seen in the past.

Now, it does appear on paper the schedule (specifically the away and division) will be BEASTLY. But it's a week to week leage and it's a matter of what shape some of those teams are in when we play them. 

As long as Buffalo finds 10-11 wins and makes the playoffs they have a chance. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

For me, the key to our improvement is how well Beane did in the draft, and how quickly McDermott can get our top four picks up to speed. Discounting the Draft, I would say in the AFC East, the Jets and Miami made significant improvements to their rosters. Buffalo and New England pretty much just shuffled the deck in free-agency roster moves.

This is an interesting thread along with the over/under thread.  In 2021, the Bills lost nearly all their 1-score games, in 2022, they won nearly all their 1-score games.  The team learned a mental toughness that allowed them to prevail in the close ones. 

So are we better on paper?  The weak OL was addressed, as the Bills brought in 4 guards to shore up the OL.  Some feel this an over-investment, but as bad as Saffold was down the stretch, we didn't have anyone to supplant him.  Another hole is at LB, so we went for an undersized athletic guy with a huge wingspan.  We will see how that pans out.

The other major weakness was at WR.  While Gabe Davis had improved stats in 2022, many felt it wasn't enough to be a true #2, especially since he led the team in drops.  Knox's stats went down, McBeane let McKittrick and Crowder go, and signed two projects in their place. 

Deonte Harty (not Hardy, get it right) played two games last year due to injury, had a decent 2021, but doesn't impress on paper.  Let's hope he has the potential that McBeane sees in him.  Trent Sherfield has decent size, and we took him from the Fish.  But neither guy produced as much as McKittrick did last year, and that got him run outta town.  Took Shorter as a project in the draft.  I heard two things about him when he was drafted, that he's got great hands and that he drops a lot of passes.  Since even the draftniks can't make up their minds, not sure what I'm supposed to do with that.  WR is still a big question mark.

BUT...we got one of the best weapons in the draft in Dalton "Reuben" Kincaid.  If Dorsey can figure out how to use him, he could be the difference maker that renders the whole WR question moot.  Cannot wait to see this kid on the field.

GO BILLS!

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, gjv said:

For me, the key to our improvement is how well Beane did in the draft, and how quickly McDermott can get our top four picks up to speed. Discounting the Draft, I would say in the AFC East, the Jets and Miami made significant improvements to their rosters. Buffalo and New England pretty much just shuffled the deck in free-agency roster moves.

If all you think is buffalo just "Shuffled the deck" ? that's crazy man. We likely have a day 1 starter that locks up LG/RG and enough competition to fix the other guard position... Our guards were at times HORRIBLE... HUGE upgrades at guard. we got a big body TE/Slot man with significant ceiling and you think all we did was reshuffle decks like NE did? 

wow

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.