Beane on Rich Eisen - great listen and insight

JerseyBills

This dude is smart as hell. You listen too him compared to any GM we have had since Butler and you can see why we are successful. He isn’t perfect but he is a great GM and doesn't deserve a lot of the criticism he gets

• Like (+1) 16
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 15
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I prefer him on this than doing the McAfee show. But he always tends to do one of these post draft interviews. 

Brandon is a great talker. He is interesting, engaging and pretty candid. He has always been a great listen. He also tells you things without always meaning to because of how candid he is. There are certain issues thst he knows will come up where he has a pre-prepared line - Diggs was one of those in this interview. He was very careful with what he said and he never confirmed whether that had been the "check in" call Rich asked about. But if it isn't something where he has a pre-planned answer you get little nuggets from listening to him.

The nugget I took from this was that Shakir is going to get first run at the slot job. He lists his weapons as Diggs, Davis and "Khalil Shakir a 5th rounder that came on last year." It is similar to how they talked about McKenzie last year and he ultimately had the job all season. This doesn't mean Shakir will come out of camp as the starter but I think he will go into it as the clubhouse leader.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Very cool.

The whole Hamlin story is just wonderful, and it could have turned out very differently.

I didn’t vote for Biden, but some people can’t put their ego and political BS aside to appreciate how widespread the concern and love for Damar and his family was. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I would love to inject BB with truth serum and find out how many picks over the last few years are McD influenced picks?

I would hope the HC can offer feedback on possible picks because at the end of the day it's the coach's locker room. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I prefer him on this than doing the McAfee show. But he always tends to do one of these post draft interviews. 

Brandon is a great talker. He is interesting, engaging and pretty candid. He has always been a great listen. He also tells you things without always meaning to because of how candid he is. There are certain issues thst he knows will come up where he has a pre-prepared line - Diggs was one of those in this interview. He was very careful with what he said and he never confirmed whether that had been the "check in" call Rich asked about. But if it isn't something where he has a pre-planned answer you get little nuggets from listening to him.

The nugget I took from this was that Shakir is going to get first run at the slot job. He lists his weapons as Diggs, Davis and "Khalil Shakir a 5th rounder that came on last year." It is similar to how they talked about McKenzie last year and he ultimately had the job all season. This doesn't mean Shakir will come out of camp as the starter but I think he will go into it as the clubhouse leader.

I'd add 1 "nugget" to your list, and that's in regard to Justin Shorter.  Listening to Beanes comments, and his post draft presser, he made a point to say Shorter "has a path to getting a jersey" (making the 53).

Great replacement for Kumerow on S/T, and a different trait/body type WR to add into the mix.  I could see some Robert Foster-esque use at some point this year

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good listen. Rich is a good guy and a good interviewer. And Beane is a good listen.

Pretty unbelievable that the president called Beane's number in the hospital and had a 15-minute call with Damar; regardless of what you think politically, I think that's pretty cool.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah, I think wether Beane said so or not, Shakir is the clear penciled in "starter" at slot entering camp.  Sherfield is WR3 behind Diggs and Davis, and Harty is going to be a gadget player and occasional deep ball threat.  And I expect him to hold on to that starter designation and open the season that way too.

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I would love to inject BB with truth serum and find out how many picks over the last few years are McD influenced picks?

A GM never drafts in isolation. I am pretty sure that he works with the HC and the rest of the coaching staff closely in identifying whom to draft.

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

I'd add 1 "nugget" to your list, and that's in regard to Justin Shorter.  Listening to Beanes comments, and his post draft presser, he made a point to say Shorter "has a path to getting a jersey" (making the 53).

Great replacement for Kumerow on S/T, and a different trait/body type WR to add into the mix.  I could see some Robert Foster-esque use at some point this year

Yeah, I think Shorter has a great shot at making the roster and I think its possible we could carry 7 WR's this year with him and that UDFA kid we supposedly signed to a 3 year deal that has all this ST hype that he could be the best ST player in the NFL soon.  

32 minutes ago, ganesh said:

A GM never drafts in isolation. I am pretty sure that he works with the HC and the rest of the coaching staff closely in identifying whom to draft.

It’s a way more collaborative process than people realize. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I would hope the HC can offer feedback on possible picks because at the end of the day it's the coach's locker room. 

This ^^^

as well, the OC & the DC are also having opportunities to express their desire for certain players / positions that they want attention paid to, can’t see it being any other way, now of course when it comes down to it, it’s Beane who gets the final decision. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.