1. 1. Targets

• Kincaid
    • Davis
    • Knox
    • Hardy
    • Shakir
    • Sherrfield

5 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

Dorsey and Shula overlapped at the panthers from 2013-2017.

Olsen:

2013 - #1 in targets

2014 - #2 in targets

2015 - #1 in targets

2016 - #1 in targets

2017 - injured in Week 2 (against the Bills no less) He went onto IR for much do that season.

I understand that Olsen was into his prime at that time, but part of the equation was knowing how to use him.

I voted for Davis, but this poll is not outrageous. With both Dorsey and Shula on this Bills offensive staff, there is a path for Kincaid targets. It is exactly why this could end up being a really good first round pick.

"Part of the equation was knowing how to use him," you say? Yeah, fair enough, part of it.

Yeah, but for a rookie, I'd argue that him knowing how to be used is a lot bigger part of the equation than the OC knowing how to use him.

When 2013 got here, Olsen was already a canny, wizened 7th year veteran.

More, those low WR target numbers may well have been a result of having Cam Newton throwing, and of having some poor WR groups.

2013 Steve Smith 745 yards, #2 Brandon LaFell 627

2014 Kelvin Benjamin 1008 yards, #2 Cotchery 580

2015 Ted Ginn Jr. 739 yards, #2 Cotchery 485

2016 Kelvin Benjamin 941 yards, #2 Ginn Jr. 752

2017 (even with Olsen injured most of the year and receiving only 38 targets) Devin Funchess 840 yards, #2 WR ...

-------------------(not counting RB McCaffrey's 651) Kelvin Benjamin 475

Put another way, they had one WR that whole four years that (twice) beat out Gabriel Davis' 2022 total yards, both by our oold friend Kelvin Benjamin, 1008 yards in 2014 and 941 yards in 2016.

Those were deeply unusual teams in terms of how they threw the ball. And yes, having Olsen there may have been part of that, but again I'd argue that a lot larger part would have been having Cam Newton at QB and a pretty bad WR group the whole time.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

2 straight years with ankle problems and the drops will transition Dalton to 2nd most targets.  I think this will be Gabes's last season as a Bill.

Almost assuredly is. Smart teams don't give 2nd contracts to #2 WRs, they draft their replacements. No coincidence Shorter who was drafted  this year has a near identical receiving skill set to Davis.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"Part of the equation was knowing how to use him," you say? Yeah, fair enough, part of it.

Yeah, but for a rookie, I'd argue that him knowing how to be used is a lot bigger part of the equation than the OC knowing how to use him.

When 2013 got here, Olsen was already a canny, wizened 7th year veteran.

More, those low WR target numbers may well have been a result of having Cam Newton throwing, and of having some poor WR groups.

2013 Steve Smith 745 yards, #2 Brandon LaFell 627

2014 Kelvin Benjamin 1008 yards, #2 Cotchery 580

2015 Ted Ginn Jr. 739 yards, #2 Cotchery 485

2016 Kelvin Benjamin 941 yards, #2 Ginn Jr. 752

2017 (even with Olsen injured most of the year and receiving only 38 targets) Devin Funchess 840 yards, #2 WR ...

-------------------(not counting RB McCaffrey's 651) Kelvin Benjamin 475

Put another way, they had one WR that whole four years that (twice) beat out Gabriel Davis' 2022 total yards, both by our oold friend Kelvin Benjamin, 1008 yards in 2014 and 941 yards in 2016.

Those were deeply unusual teams in terms of how they threw the ball. And yes, having Olsen there may have been part of that, but again I'd argue that a lot larger part would have been having Cam Newton at QB and a pretty bad WR group the whole time.

All great points.

22 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Davis. He is still a big part of the offense and I think of his ankles stay healthy should have a big season.

His ankles don't account for 9 drops in 91 targets imho.  that can be fixed with work to improve his hands.  Lets hope he in doing that.

I go another direction and go with write in candidate James Cook.  The outlet pass was meant for last season and is just running a year behind.  The Josh/Dorsey/Cook problems should get worked out - Josh's elbow, Cook/Dorsey rookie years.  Plus if they have Kincaid run across the middle the swing pass to Cook opens up even more.

To be second in targets all Cook needs is about 4 - 5 per game - that would put him well past the 48 targets that were second in 2022 (tied between Davis and Dawson).  Cook should get the lion share of Singletary's 38 targets from last year - and Cook had 21 himself.

Looks like a long shot in the polls, but staying with Shakir having a breakout season as number 2 in receptions.

It will go Diggs, Shakir, Davis, Knox, Kincaid top 5 IMO.

Josh Allen has plenty of play makers around him now that want touches. Making for a very interesting season coming up If Dorsey can find ways to utilze them all with good ball distribution. 

4 hours ago, Figster said:

Looks like a long shot in the polls, but staying with Shakir having a breakout season as number 2 in receptions.

It will go Diggs, Shakir, Davis, Knox, Kincaid top 5 IMO.

Josh Allen has plenty of play makers around him now that want touches. Making for a very interesting season coming up If Dorsey Josh can find ways to utilze them all with good ball distribution. 

Fixed it for you. Lot of times last year when Josh had the short pass but just took off running. It's definitely on Josh to use the dump offs.

• Haha (+1) 1

Remember the whole reason for having a reliable slot receiver is to get one of the safeties to move up.  Why? Because it leaves one of the outside WRs in 1 on 1 coverage. That is where Josh was making his money before defenses started doubling the outside receivers last year. Kincaid or whoever is playing the slot role is going to see plenty of targets just to force a safety to play shallow instead of deep. I think this is the real reason Kincaid was drafted in the 1st round.

I voted Kincaid, but I am now questioning my own vote, because there seems to be a committee of slot receivers, plus we know that all of the receivers must play both slot and outside in this offense. Plus, Knox is still going to get some reps too. The beauty is that none of us can really predict who will be second in targets and that is by design. It will depend on how defenses play us. It will depend on who is most effective playing that slot role. I believe the offense is designed so that multiple receivers must play slot. Even Diggs occasionally caught passes across the middle. Perhaps having someone else going across the middle will save wear and tear on our outside receivers too.

Kincaid has a chance to see more reps because he is bigger and can block in the open and because he can also go into presnap motion and catch balls out of the backfield. He was also effective blocking for RBs. This is way different than putting a smurf in at slot. It is also a great way to disguise what the play will be, because of these additional things that Kincaid does. When a smurf is on the field, the defense knows the only thing he is going to do is run a slot route. He isn't going to block, he isn't going to run downfield and block for a running back. And sure as hell isn't going to stay in and block for the QB.

I think Davis may actually end up being the biggest benefactor if one of those safeties decides to leave him in 1 on 1.  All Josh has to do spread the ball around, hit those slot routes and put pressure on the safeties.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it HAS to be Davis given what's currently on the roster.  I wouldn't mind a different Davis, Corey Davis, being the new #2 guy if the Jets cut him though. 

I just don't think we should be relying on Gabe.  He's a high end #3 field stretcher. That has its place, but he's shown that he's too volatile to be a #2.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.