Bills sign Latavius Murray to a one-year deal

Roundybout

17 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Nope, guaranteed he sees the field a decent amount this year. If and when will be on primarily 3rd downs. He will be used to block a good amount. 

Guaranteed he won't if Cook, Harris, and Hines all stay healthy.

Like I said, Beane dresses 3 RB's. And Murray will not play in place of Cook, Harris, or Hines.

Murray was a Practice Squad RB all of last season. He only saw the field because of injuries. It will be the same thing here. If there's an injury to any of the 3 - he'll be dressed and playing. Barring an injury, he will not.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 hours ago, Bills Bud said:

Good pick up, power back that will take some pressure off Josh to run in it in close to the goal line and on 3rd and short. We want Josh to take less hits. Don't be surprises if Harris or Hines gets cut since they are similar backs.

Harris is closer to Murray than Hines. Harris gets hurt Murray steps in. Cook and Hines similar. Hines ST and occasional 3rd downs. He was good in Indy w screen game, something Bills are dreadful at. Hope Dorsey puts a few in this year. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Guaranteed he won't if Cook, Harris, and Hines all stay healthy.

Like I said, Beane dresses 3 RB's. And Murray will not play in place of Cook, Harris, or Hines.

Murray was a Practice Squad RB all of last season. He only saw the field because of injuries. It will be the same thing here. If there's an injury to any of the 3 - he'll be dressed and playing. Barring an injury, he will not.

That's fine by me.  If the other rbs are getting the job done and Murray only contribution is in practice settings .while the others get the job done behind a oline that can open up running lanes for them he gets to collect his vet minimum pay while being inactive each week I hope he ends up with a SB ring.   

18 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

That's fine by me.  If the other rbs are getting the job done and Murray only contribution is in practice settings .while the others get the job done behind a oline that can open up running lanes for them he gets to collect his vet minimum pay while being inactive each week I hope he ends up with a SB ring.   

He's a great insurance policy. He may make the 53 as the 4th RB. But as I said, he's this year's TJ Yeldon, Matt Breida, or Duke Johnson. Break Glass in Case of Emergency Veteran RB, who can be relied upon if there's an injury.

And like you said, here's hoping we'll never have to break the glass and he gets a ring.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Nope, guaranteed he sees the field a decent amount this year. If and when will be on primarily 3rd downs. He will be used to block a good amount. 

It’s really gonna boil down to how they use James Cook

I think James Cook is going to see a ton of work

But one thing is for sure the bills definitely address the position

The whole “he will never be active barring injury” thing is silly. We are going to have multiple rbs banged up all the time. Even the odds of making it to week 1 completely healthy is low. Depth is good, depth wins championships. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, akm0404 said:

The whole “he will never be active barring injury” thing is silly. We are going to have multiple rbs banged up all the time. Even the odds of making it to week 1 completely healthy is low. Depth is good, depth wins championships. 

Absolutely. We need "too many" weapons so that when some of them undoubtedly go down to injury, Josh isn't left with just a nerf gun and a few koosh balls.

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Latavius isn't going to see the field unless there's an injury. All this talk about what he can do paired with whomever is moot.

He's good for depth in case of an injury. But he will not dress on Sunday's unless that happens. He's this year's TJ Yeldon, Matt Breida, or Duke Johnson. He'll be at best our 4th RB on the 53 who doesn't see the field and at worst our Practice Squad RB.

McDermott has only ever dressed 3 RB's on Sundays. 2 True RB's and one who plays ST's (was Taiwan Jones and Senorise Perry the one year Jones wasn't here). Cook and Harris will dress with Hines providing more offensive capability than previous ST's backs (while still providing ST Return capability).

Haha Murray is so much better than Yeldon, Breida or Duke Johnson.   
With Taiwan no longer on the team, I can see all 4 RBs active on gameday. They each add value 

• Like (+1) 1

I like the signing.  For Buffalo to get over the hump they need to become more of a tough gritty physical team and that starts in the running game.  Murray has the size and runs with some physicality and his experience is a plus.

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Beane mentioned Murray again on the Rich Eisen show as "short yardage and goal line"

Yea, sounds like he has a role.  Wonder if we keep 4 RB's with Cook/Harris as 1-2, Murray as short yardage and Hines as KR/PR/Gadget.

I know that a lot of people feel that the game is changed, but I still think that when the weather changes and it gets cold, you want to be able to pound the ball, and even though we have a unicorn quarterback, they can throw it anywhere receiver still have to catch it in that weather

If you can turn it out on the ground and keep getting first downs and not have to put the ball in the air the chances of turnovers and having to punt go down and you allow your big smashing offense of line to start wearing on a defense and when it gets cold, they don’t want to tackle big backs

If you can play good defense and do that when the weather turns bad, you can demoralize a team

• Like (+1) 1

Hines might be in line for the limited role instead of Murray. He only got the ball on offense 11 times last year. 

Personally I think Hines should be worked regularly into the offense, but won’t be surprised if he sees the least offensive touches just based on recent history. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.