Bills sign Latavius Murray to a one-year deal

Roundybout

7 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Beane said he did it so that he did not need to draft a RB on Day 3.   camp body

That’s not exactly what he said…and “camp body” was not mentioned. Beane raved about Murray and specifically mentioned using him in short yardage situations

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

In 9 games last year Hines had 6 rush attempts.  That's not on him.  

Like with a few others on the roster and their lack of usage, it's has nothing to do with their talent and everything to do with mismanagement.

I agree they misused him.  But, I think that was McD and Dorsey.  I don't think they like/trusted what Beane got them.  Since they kept him and could have cut him for no money I think we will see them use him more on Offense this year.  I hope so for sure!

I don't see the Chiefs, Ravens, jets or Dolphins doing dumpster dives for very marginal talent. The Bills are acting more like a bottom feeder team than a SB contender. These moves remind me of Bills circa 1998 thru 2016. The linebacker situation is baffling. It's a major hole, and Beane is treating it like it's a position like long snapper or punter. Beane's always crying about cap space.. I don't hear the above mentioned teams who also have very expensive players complaining about available $$$. They are making big moves.       

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Cook as trade bait?....... kidding, kidding......or am I?

Trade him for a 3rd. Another perfect example of the Bills “playing chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers.” For those of you who really believe that.

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

That’s not exactly what he said…and “camp body” was not mentioned. Beane raved about Murray and specifically mentioned using him in short yardage situations

Beane is a straight shooter. This regime prides itself on being honest with players and trying to do right by them. Putting aside coaching decisions and what happens on the field, the way McDermott and Beane with the Pegulas' support have transformed the way the franchise is perceived by acting well towards people is inspiring. I do not believe Murray signs if the offer was presented as in any way suggesting a camp body. Beane is not raving about a player's abilities if he sees them as a marginal player. Murray is a big body. Compare Damien Harris 5'11 213 and Murray 6'3 230. I think he's going to be on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RG Murdock said:

I don't see the Chiefs, Ravens, jets or Dolphins doing dumpster dives for very marginal talent. The Bills are acting more like a bottom feeder team than a SB contender. These moves remind me of Bills circa 1998 thru 2016. The linebacker situation is baffling. It's a major hole, and Beane is treating it like it's a position like long snapper or punter. Beane's always crying about cap space.. I don't hear the above mentioned teams who also have very expensive players complaining about available $$$. They are making big moves.       

Patience grasshopper.

Beane improved interior offensive line, WR, TE, RB- you can only fix so much with the draft.

Beane himself said DL was next, and he is in discussions with a few DL.

Rapp was a great signing.  He’s a sure tackler.

Beane is not done adding quality players. 

there will be massive cuts around the league the next couple months.  Bills cuts will be tough already.  My money is Beane makes a trade or two 

18 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Trade him for a 3rd. Another perfect example of the Bills “playing chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers.” For those of you who really believe that.

Already too late for that. The film is already out that he's not a difference maker as a receiver out of the backfield, which was supposed to be his best quality. Add to that, the guy can get tackled by one arm 90% of the time. Don't worry, someone will bring up his impressive yards per carry average, but that's a classic case of change of pace back false hope. 

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
  • Agree 1

Murray only has 9 fumbles over the course of his career.Motor already has 10 during his rookie contract. 

He's a viable stand-in to spell Cook if Harris gets injured. Pretty sure that's going to be the extent of his roll if called upon. 

Edited by Pabstblueribbon
Williams on the brain
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Yes, I'm familiar with his role on other teams, but as stated, he's 33.  That's old for a RB contrary to what opinions may be otherwise.  

I'm not sure that I see us carrying 5 RBs, and again, other than for injury insurance, I'm not seeing what he adds given our offense, which already underutilizes RBs.  I still say that there's a good chance he's not even on the 53 come opening day.  

There's an awful lot of defensive posturing on this signing as if it has any significance in achieving wins.  The size of the contract says something.  

That is all.  

And BTW. 4.2 ypc is incredibly average.  FWIW  

LOL to the bolded.  All I did was say he is a viable 3rd string option if Harris goes down.  He is not getting the lion's share of reps and

he is a good short yardage and blocking RB.  If anyone is going overboard in "posturing", it's you with your hatred of the pick.

You doubled down with the foolishness of your statement with your comment on his contract.  The reason Beane signed the guy is because

he could fill a role and is cheap.

Enjoy your criticism of the signing!

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Well, from what I've read, Harris will be injured by halftime of the first game. 

Exactly, look at his games played the last few years. This is a good signing because Murray is a big back that plays through minor injury. He is also a short yardage dog.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RG Murdock said:

Huh?  The chiefs won their first SB with a collection of dumpster dive RB’s and a 7th round pick.  He’s one of the better RB4’s in the league.  You’re being ridiculous.  

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, RG Murdock said:

I think the Bills have added some pretty good players this off season. The other teams you mention also sign players that are not "big moves"  Not every signing can be a pro bowl player---it's a team game.

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

With all due respect, I disagree with this.  In 2020, 2021, and early 2022, they were terrible in 3rd and 4th and less-than-2 yards.  It was mostly Moss running into the line and going nowhere.  Last year, once Moss was out of the mix, Singletary actually did quite well in those situations.  I don't have statistics to cite, but I watched every snap of every game and was pleasantly surprised to see what had been a major issue become a non-issue.  This isn't to say that Singletary is a power back or a short-yardage ace, but once he took over that role, he was pretty solid in getting those first downs on 3rd and 4th and short.  I'm curious to know if I'm the only one on this board who noticed this improvement.

I should also add that, in the same vein, when the Bills ran the ball last season and committed to it/stuck with it, they were quite effective.  Singletary ran well and later in the season, Cook found his stride and ran well too (he was bad in the beginning of the season).  That said, it was pretty rare that they actually did commit to it and/or stuck to it.

I do agree that with Harris, Murray, the new guards, and Brown at full health, they should be even better at 3rd and 4th and short in the upcoming season.  Likewise, if they commit to the run game, I think it will be even better than last season.  And to clarify, I'm referring to the RUNNING BACK run game and not the Josh Allen run game.  Allen running the ball is quite effective, but I don't want to steer the conversation into the whole exposure to injury thing - that's another topic for another thread (and there are already many of those).

In 2022/23 (Last season) the Bills ranked 24th at 35.8% on third down conversions. I don't have a split on how many of those attempts were by RB and not a pass or Allen run - but either way it's not a great stat.

I agree with you in that our running game (RB's) did improve as the season progressed but Singletary was a dud when it counted. He can get you your 5-6 yard runs, and he did. But if it mattered or we needed that one yard to move the chains - he was a dud. I watched every game too. Clearly, Beane and McD did too and bye bye singleton.

Anyway, I am happy with Murray and Harris. I know they will pound it when it counts! Go Bills!

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah I felt the same- but the nfl agreed with McD- that was the end of Yeldon nfl career

The NFL is a tough league to play a lot of years.  Some guys can do it even if they are not stars like AJ Klein.  And other guys like Yeldon are a blip on the radar.  Another guy like Yeldon who had a little better career was Eddie Lacey.  That guy could run.  But ate himself out of the league.  How about Scott Chandler?  He had some good years for us.  And then just gone.  Never to be heard from again.  Tough way to make a living if you are not a star.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.