LG---------0----------0---------0

C----------0-----------0--------0

RG---------697------761------699

RT---------0---------46--------0

---------fresh-------soft--------JR

Per PFF. I do not know where you are getting your info from

PFF os incorrect on this.

From The Athletic (Paywall)

"With the 59th pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Bills selected Florida guard O'Cyrus Torrence. Torrence played only one season with the Gators, but over his college career split between Louisiana and Florida, he started his last 34 games at right guard and 13 games as a freshman at left guard"

Draft Profile on NFL.com

"He immediately stepped into the starting lineup in Lafayette, beginning 13 of 14 contests at left guard in 2019."

TThat's just 2. There are many more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Just heard on WGR. 

Gotta be $1.7M given before 4 PM.

760 yards, 6 TDs, 4.4 ypc last year.

Tough not to like this signing.

See, you can always pick up a serviceable running back from wherever, whenever, for cheap.

This is why you don't draft them, let alone in the top 10 of the draft! 

• Agree 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

You're not saying you don't know if McGovern is a huge improvement in pass protection from the LG spot, are you? 

I don't think McGovern is a huge improvement, no. I think if he was so great he would start for Dallas or they would re-sign him for depth. He came here for a chance to start so we'll see. Hopefully he's better. He might be worse than what we had. Maybe Saffold just needed time to gel with the line. We'll never know.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Latavius is insurance.  Harris is injury prone and it remains to be seen if Cook can handle a full workload.  Based on last year, they don't believe in Hines much at all.

I like your thoughts besides they don't believe in Hines.  If they didn't believe in Hines they could have cut him with no cap penalty.  I don't believe they would pay that much for a return guy.  But, I could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

PFF os incorrect on this.

From The Athletic (Paywall)

"With the 59th pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Bills selected Florida guard O'Cyrus Torrence. Torrence played only one season with the Gators, but over his college career split between Louisiana and Florida, he started his last 34 games at right guard and 13 games as a freshman at left guard"

Draft Profile on NFL.com

"He immediately stepped into the starting lineup in Lafayette, beginning 13 of 14 contests at left guard in 2019."

TThat's just 2. There are many more.

I stand corrected, pff does screw it up now and then

• Like (+1) 1

@KDIGGZWho was the better guard for the Bills last season? Ryan Bates or Rodger Saffold? 

A) If you answer Saffold, you will lose all credibility and it isn’t worth more discussion. 

B) If you answer Bates, you effectively contradict many of your points of argument.

C) If you try to argue they were the same caliber player, not only would you be disproven by OL metrics, but you’d also contradict your points in regards to Saffold’s body of work and history of pro bowls, seeing as how Bates hasn’t been nominated to one.

I don’t like groupthink myself, I like to form my own opinions like you, so in that respect I can appreciate taking an opposing POV. But you also have to admit when an argument is faulty. 

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

See, you can always pick up a serviceable running back from wherever, whenever, for cheap.

This is why you don't draft them, let alone in the top 10 of the draft! 

True...but you also are not looking for a "serviceable" RB when you take one in the top 10.  Not defending Atlanta, they had a very good rookie RB last year, so puzzled why they take another and I definitely would have picked someone else.  But, just saying when you take a RB in first round in general, it's because you want more than a "serviceable" guy.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Manther said:

I like your thoughts besides they don't believe in Hines.  If they didn't believe in Hines they could have cut him with no cap penalty.  I don't believe they would pay that much for a return guy.  But, I could be wrong.

In 9 games last year Hines had 6 rush attempts.  That's not on him.  

Like with a few others on the roster and their lack of usage, it's has nothing to do with their talent and everything to do with mismanagement.

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

love this signing.   Now get Justin Houston.  

That thought never crossed my mind until now.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I don't think McGovern is a huge improvement, no. I think if he was so great he would start for Dallas or they would re-sign him for depth. He came here for a chance to start so we'll see. Hopefully he's better. He might be worse than what we had. Maybe Saffold just needed time to gel with the line. We'll never know.

Saffold was washed up.  He's done.  McGovern was starting in Dallas but they're hurting for cap space because of the dumb contract for Zeke Elliott.

22 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Saffold was rated the worst starting guard in the league last year.

Just having him not there this season is an improvement.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

@KDIGGZWho was the better guard for the Bills last season? Ryan Bates or Rodger Saffold? 

A) If you answer Saffold, you will lose all credibility and it isn’t worth more discussion. 

B) If you answer Bates, you effectively contradict many of your points of argument.

C) If you try to argue they were the same caliber player, not only would you be disproven by OL metrics, but you’d also contradict your points in regards to Saffold’s body of work and history of pro bowls, seeing as how Bates hasn’t been nominated to one.

I don’t like groupthink myself, I like to form my own opinions like you, so in that respect I can appreciate taking an opposing POV. But you also have to admit when an argument is faulty. 

We have seen Bates and his body of work. We have trust with what he can do on this line because he has the years of working with this group. Bates played better than Saffold last year but is Bates a better player than Saffold? When their careers are over I don't know if anyone would think that would be the case as it stands currently. Saffold might have just had a bad year, might have had issues geling with the team, might have had injuries he played through. We will never know. I would not assume Dallas' backup G will step in and be leaps and bounds better. He played well for Dallas on an already dominant line. This is a different group, different scheme, different coaches. We'll see. He could be worse than Saffold which is just as equally likely but nobody wants to admit that. 

58 minutes ago, Stevie Ray said:

Better than a Huffy! :P 

You guys had brand name bikes?  Rich.  Ours were always some generic  KMart special

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Just heard on WGR. 

Gotta be $1.7M given before 4 PM.

760 yards, 6 TDs, 4.4 ypc last year.

Tough not to like this signing.

In limited action after Williams injury and Gordon release. He looked good imo. Insurance for Harris if injuries pop up. This RB room is very superior to what we had going into last year - Motor,Cook,Moss🤮,Jones🤮

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

We have seen Bates and his body of work. We have trust with what he can do on this line because he has the years of working with this group. Bates played better than Saffold last year but is Bates a better player than Saffold? When their careers are over I don't know if anyone would think that would be the case as it stands currently. Saffold might have just had a bad year, might have had issues geling with the team, might have had injuries he played through. We will never know. I would not assume Dallas' backup G will step in and be leaps and bounds better. He played well for Dallas on an already dominant line. This is a different group, different scheme, different coaches. We'll see. He could be worse than Saffold which is just as equally likely but nobody wants to admit that. 

Bates is a better player than Saffold right now and yes, he was better than him last year. It wasn’t just a one year fluke with Saffold, he’s been in decline. To assume McGovern could be just as bad in pass protection… I mean, I don’t know. It’s possible, sure, but I’d say much more unlikely.

McGovern received a contract within the first few days of free agency. Saffold is still a free agent. If the league valued Rodger as highly as you do, or thought his career and body of work as a pro bowler meant something, he would’ve been signed by this point. It’s always a “what have you done for me lately?” league, no evaluator dwells on the past. As the saying goes, contracts aren’t awarded based on what you’ve done, they’re awarded based on what you potentially can do moving forward. But anyway, even if McGovern flops, Bates at LG is an upgrade over Saffold, which would then leave the rookie or Edwards at RG. And in that scenario the IOL is still more solid on paper than last year. 

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.