Bills sign Latavius Murray to a one-year deal

Roundybout

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The rookie only plays on the right side so he is the backup to Bates until we see otherwise. MCgovern may or may not be better this year than Saffold who is a multiple pro bowl veteran player, we'll see. People seem to be accepting that as a fact for some reason 

You act as though guards can’t be interchanged, that Torrence would never play LG. He may not, Bills may like him better on the right, especially because they’ve already told McGovern he’ll be at left, but we also know the coaches train for positional flexibility, so I included Torrence in my argument because it is possible he finds himself on the left at some point.

Saffold’s best years are way beyond him. There’s a reason he’s still a free agent, he isn’t good. And I also think we can stop using the pro bowl as a means to justify a player’s talent. It’s a popularity contest, nothing more. Most are deserving, don’t get me wrong, but you also have guys nominated that shouldn’t have any business being nominated. To say McGovern will be WORSE than what Saffold gave us last year is just being a contrarian and argumentative. Or perhaps you don’t realize just how bad of a guard Saffold was…

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

You act as though guards can’t be interchanged, that Torrence would never play LG. He may not, Bills may like him better on the right, especially because they’ve already told McGovern he’ll be at left, but we also know the coaches train for positional flexibility, so I included Torrence in my argument because it is possible he finds himself on the left at some point.

Saffold’s best years are way beyond him. There’s a reason he’s still a free agent, he isn’t good. And I also think we can stop using the pro bowl as a means to justify a player’s talent. It’s a popularity contest, nothing more. Most are deserving, don’t get me wrong, but you also have guys nominated that shouldn’t have any business being nominated. To say McGovern will be WORSE than what Saffold gave us last year is just being a contrarian and argumentative. Or perhaps you don’t realize just how bad of a guard Saffold was…

I understand Saffold had a down year. I also understand he is a multiple time pro bowl player and McGovern is a 0 time pro bowl player. You might poo poo that but it means something to be voted in by your coaches and peers. They think Saffold is a very good player. McGovern may be too but that's definitely not a fact that he's better than Saffold until he shows it. He might be worse.

The rookie has never played on the left. Ever. I'm sure they will train him up on that because they like flexibility but maybe he just can't do it. We don't know. To assume now he too is a better G than Saffold on the left is silly since he's never done it and I don't see him starting over Bates on the right unless they decide it's close and Bates needs to be backup C and not get injured.

So it's not as cut and dry as everyone seems to think. You guys can give me all of the eye rolls you want but it's clearly just your opinion that we may be better on IOL but it's definitely not a fact. I think we are pretty much the same as last year on the OL overall. We still don't have a good RT and Dawkins had a down year at LT so he may be trending down.

I do like the Murray and Harris signings. Low cost and high reward. I think they run harder than Motor did as that wasn't his specialty. They are better every down guys. And year 2 of Cook should be better than rookie year.

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Eyeroll 2

Does this make Hines our new Taiwan Jones?  I know he’s going to be primary returner but does he have experience playing gunner?  I like this signing but interested to see if we keep four active backs on game day.  Maybe Dorsey is going to commit to pounding the rock.  

I feel like teams are getting so small and fast on defense that a team that can bully up front and hammer the ball down field is very dangerous in the playoffs.  

56 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

His entire football career he played RG (I stand corrected he did play LG early in his career)... 

To your bolded I agree. At the least... we have competition at LG. At the Least (if morse stays healthy)  I think we have reached top 15 line as a whole.

No gloom and doom here :D  I agree with most of your other points. well said. 

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

I understand Saffold had a down year. I also understand he is a multiple time pro bowl player and McGovern is a 0 time pro bowl player. You might poo poo that but it means something to be voted in by your coaches and peers. They think Saffold is a very good player. McGovern may be too but that's definitely not a fact that he's better than Saffold until he shows it. He might be worse.

The rookie has never played on the left. Ever. I'm sure they will train him up on that because they like flexibility but maybe he just can't do it. We don't know. To assume now he too is a better G than Saffold on the left is silly since he's never done it and I don't see him starting over Bates on the right unless they decide it's close and Bates needs to be backup C and not get injured.

So it's not as cut and dry as everyone seems to think. You guys can give me all of the eye rolls you want but it's clearly just your opinion that we may be better on IOL but it's definitely not a fact. I think we are pretty much the same as last year on the OL overall. We still don't have a good RT and Dawkins had a down year at LT so he may be trending down.

You get no arguments from me about the tackles, but your view of the OL is undoubtedly stuck on Saffold’s past accomplishments versus the player he was and has been the last few years. I didn’t know when he came to the Bills that Titan fans were celebrating his exit. He’s not the player he once was and that’s a fact. It’s also a fact that McGovern was a better player than Saffold was last year… or do you dispute this as well? I refuse to believe your stance is simply: Saffold has been named to the pro bowl multiple times, therefore he’s better than McGovern has ever been, including the last season the two took the field (?)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is it possible Hines doesn't make it?  Hardy and Hyde both have punt return experience.  Kickoffs, I'm sure we have multiple that have done it as well.

Cook is coming off a rookie year and I think what is more important is who will be that #2 guy. more competition, the better the players get. 

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

His entire football career he played RG... MAYBE he can play LG, but you have no clue if he could or could not. Heck I doubt even buffalo knows that answer yet.  

This is true. I have no idea if Torrence would be a better LG than what Saffold gave us last season, but if I was a betting man…

The argument was mostly about the interior being better than what we have been, not Saffold versus Torrence. We’re talking about Bates potentially going to the bench and I don’t think many here would argue that Bates wasn’t a better guard than Saffold was last year. Oh and Bates has never been to the pro bowl. 😱

In totality the IOL is stronger than last year, despite what the stubborn naysayers choose to believe. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I do like the Murray and Harris signings. Low cost and high reward. I think they run harder than Motor did as that wasn't his specialty. They are better every down guys. And year 2 of Cook should be better than rookie year.

Can we stop using Pro Bowl as a way to quantify a player being good? Making a Pro Bowl is meaningless these days and has been for a while. Tyler Huntley was a "Pro Bowl" QB last year. Mac Jones was the year before that. 

Saffold "made the Pro Bowl" last year the same way Huntley and Jones did as well. Injury replacement.  Now this isn't to say at one point Saffold wasn't a very good player. He was. Just wasn't that dude last year. Easy to see if McGovern can play even average it's an improvement. Likewise, even if he flops Torrence may be able to free up Bates to slide in there or perhaps even Edwards regains his form from his time with Kromer and plays the spot. Unlike what MANY complain about at RT...Buffalo has options at both G spots that are possible and even likely improvements 

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

You get no arguments from me about the tackles, but your view of the OL is undoubtedly stuck on Saffold’s past accomplishments versus the player he was and has been the last few years. I didn’t know when he came to the Bills that Titan fans were celebrating his exit. He’s not the player he once was and that’s a fact. It’s also a fact that McGovern was a better player than Saffold was last year… or do you dispute this as well? I refuse to believe your stance is simply: Saffold has been named to the pro bowl multiple times, therefore he’s better than McGovern has ever been, including the last season the two took the field (?)

Saffold has the body of work. Maybe he's declining or maybe he will sign with the Jets and run us over twice a year. It's weird to assume McGovern, who was not a full time starter and was not re-signed by his previous team, is definitely without question better than a multi time pro bowl guard. He might me, fingers crossed. We don't know

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.