Aaron Rodgers and the Packers

BobbyC81

Rodgers must be some A-hole.  How else do you explain this contentious relationship, where they got rid of receivers and QB coaches (AVP) he liked and refused to use prime draft picks on weapons for him?

You’d think the team would do what they need to make their best player happy and build the best roster to succeed.

Now, after trading him away, they use 2nd & 3rd round picks on TEs and 2nd, 5th & 7th round picks on wide receivers in the same draft.   It’s like this was on purpose.

I guess I have to say “Good luck Robert Saleh and the NY Jets!”

• Like (+1) 1

You guys absolutely don't have to believe this, but my entire family is from Chico California, which is where Aaron grew up. My cousin was his best friend in highschool and his juco. He was also his first agent, when he became the starter and started becoming famous he purged his friend group including his family. From all reports from my cousin he was a good dude then started smelling his own farts and got caught up in his own hype. With all that being said, GB completely mismanaged the last 5 years of his time there

Edited by BruceVilanch
Grammar
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

Rodgers must be some A-hole.  How else do you explain this contentious relationship, where they got rid of receivers and QB coaches (AVP) he liked and refused to use prime draft picks on weapons for him?

I think, their reasoning was somewhat along the lines of what we've seen in Allen's early years - that a truly elite, MVP of the league level QB can operate an offense with an average OL and average receivers, and elevate it to playoff contention.

So they were focused on building a defense.

Haven't we kind of seen that here?  Hopefully it's changing.

Now, after trading him away, they use 2nd & 3rd round picks on TEs and 2nd, 5th & 7th round picks on wide receivers in the same draft.   It’s like this was on purpose.

Now I think they figure if they're going to figure out whether Love has it, they need to put pieces around him.

No.  No, you do NOT need to say that.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

So the packers purposely sabotaged their team year after year after year because rodgers is an ahole?

This myth just won't die...

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Or maybe they don't have a QB anymore who can elevate the game of players through his own ability and they feel the less talented Jordan Love can't succeed without more help?

Those players elevated Rodgers to back to back MVPs--his first in 7 seasons.  He couldn't elevate them past the SF Garoppolos.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

You’d think the team would do what they need to make their best player happy and build the best roster to succeed.

The words "Good luck" and "New York Jets" should never be used in the same sentence by a Bills fan. Unless they are playing the Pats or Dolphins. Even then it would depend on what outcome benefits the Bills. I have a feeling we will be "rooting" for the Dolphins/Pats to beat the Jets this year. I think they are the Bills biggest challenge to winning the AFCE.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

You guys absolutely don't have to believe this, but my entire family is from Chico California, which is where Aaron grew up. My cousin was his best friend in highschool and his juco. He was also his first agent, when he became the starter and started becoming famous he purged his friend group including his family. From all reports from my cousin he was a good dude then started smelling his own farts and got caught up in his own hype. With all that being said, GB completely mismanaged the last 5 years of his time there

So moral of your story is: Don’t smell your own farts. 

🧠

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

The words "Good luck" and "New York Jets" should never be used in the same sentence by a Bills fan. Unless they are playing the Pats or Dolphins. Even then it would depend on what outcome benefits the Bills. I have a feeling we will be "rooting" for the Dolphins/Pats to beat the Jets this year. I think they are the Bills biggest challenge to winning the AFCE.

I sat in metlife and watched the bills lose pretty convincingly to the guy AR replaced.   Now AR is there.   Jets should be way better than the team that handed it to the Bills last November.   Lets go play the game and see this year.   These aren't your father's Jets anymore.   

9 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

I sat in metlife and watched the bills lose pretty convincingly to the guy AR replaced.   Now AR is there.   Jets should be way better than the team that handed it to the Bills last November.   Lets go play the game and see this year.   These aren't your father's Jets anymore.   

I am hoping the Jets and Rodgers have the same success that Wilson had with the Broncos last year. Unfortunately, I think they will be a good team and a problem for the Bills.

• Agree 1

I think it takes two to tango.  There's likely a 180 degree difference between the personalities of Ted Thompson and Brian Gutekunst that's also at play here.  Things seemed to really sour between GB and Rodgers after Thompson passed away in 2021.  

• Agree 1

Rodgers is a huge ass. He also acts like he had no help when he had 2 excellent RBs, Davonte Adams, his best friend Randall Cobb, a good O line and an above-average D. He wins the MVP and then scores 13 points in the playoffs against Jimmy G and loses. 

He is absolutely a HOF QB, but he has been walking around blameless for 10 years and now the expectations are sky high. If the Jets miss the playoffs, and with a stacked AFC this is no gimmie, the season is a colossal failure.

Even the AFCE is no gimmie for him. The Bills won the division by 4 games, Miami made the playoffs starting 3 different QBs

You know, the simple reality is that great QBs force their teams to make big decisions throughout their careers.   They force teams to make really big bets, in the form of long-term contracts early in their careers, and they force the teams to make difficult decisions at the back end of their careers.   Peyton, Eli, Brady, Favre, Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Brees, all of them.  The QBs force their original teams to keep them too long or to let them go.   Peyton and Brady got rings with their new teams, and those fans will tell it was worth it forever.   The Broncos tried again (with Wilson), and now the Jets now have tried again, and  they both have experienced the downside of getting a great QB at the end of his career.  The Steelers and the Saints suffered through a season or two when their HOF quarterback was anything but. 

It's just in the nature of great QBs as they get old.  They have shown the ability to win games, at the only position where it's possible to do that consistently, and that ability is just so important in the NFL that teams are always hoping to capture one more year of it.  

• Agree 1

The Packers would have been the stupidest team if they sabotaged their team because of Rodgers' attitude. But, I love how Beane drafted high for a TE/WR, G, had signed another G, RB, etc. The Bills do not make the same mistake as the Packers did. With a guy as good as Rodgers, you get him help, not trade them away! Beane found all the help Josh could need realistically. 

13 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

So the packers purposely sabotaged their team year after year after year because rodgers is an ahole?

Yeah, that's the logical flaw here.

They probably figured Rodgers was good enough to compensate for a (relative) lack of weapons, and the new guy isn't.

None of which means that Rodgers isn't an a-hole. My impression is that he is.

As a fan whose 2nd team is Packers I think the front office made a mistake handling Rodgers.  He always has been prickly but when they let Alex Van Pelt go it was start of decline.  Some will say he did not need a QB coach but Alex broke down the game for him allowing him to concentrate on playing and less on handling many little items which while important also knocked him out of his zone.  My impression is AVP was replaced as QB coach to benefit Love.  Rodgers did not help with his salary demands however and if wanted more control of roster he should have not demanded so much in pay forcing Green Bay to make financial decisions Rodgers did not like.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.