Beane: “working on at least 2 veteran UFA’s”

Warriorspikes51

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

What needs do we have left

LB seems unlikely based on various comments from Beane so....

- RT to compete with Brown:  George Fant or Brandon Shell 

- Veteran Edge (my dream is 2 of them:  Melvin Ingram + Ngakoue/Houston/Floyd/Quinn)  Trade Epenesa or Basham for a late pick

Von
Rousseau

Ingram

Ngakoue 

Shaq

is a heck of a rotation 

We can extend DaQuan Jones and restructure Dion Dawkins to make it work

I dont think any of those moves are on Beane's radar.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

What is the date we can sign players without it affecting comp picks?

I believe it's today, or as of after today.

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

What is the date we can sign players without it affecting comp picks?

Today

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think any of those moves are on Beane's radar.

I believe it's today, or as of after today.

Various people who mentioned Murray and Ford also linked us to Yannick Ngakoue. He'd be a nice get. 65 sacks in 110 career games.  9.5 & 10 the last 2 seasons. Notably forced 10 fumbles over his first two seasons in Jacksonville. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Today

Various people who mentioned Murray and Ford also linked us to Yannick Ngakoue. He'd be a nice get. 65 sacks in 110 career games.  9.5 & 10 the last 2 seasons. Notably forced 10 fumbles over his first two seasons in Jacksonville. 

You need to tamper your expectations, first Dhop now Yannick.

Yannick is going to want paid like a starter, not sure we need that/have the $$$s.  Unless Von is going to miss most of the year, we need to count on our young DEs to continue improving.  They'll likely continue monitoring Vons progress then decide if a modest improvement to DE is necessary.

We will see what Fords contract is, but Beane has been adamant about affordable signings.

31 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Today

I wouldn’t be opposed to either signing but if they were going to bring back a veteran DE on a lower-end contract, I don’t think they would have re-signed Shaq Lawson.  

If anything, I think the Bills might be looking at signing a new RT 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Yannick is going to want paid like a starter, not sure we need that/have the $$$s.  Unless Von is going to miss most of the year, we need to count on our young DEs to continue improving.  They'll likely continue monitoring Vons progress then decide if a modest improvement to DE is necessary.

We will see what Fords contract is, but Beane has been adamant about affordable signings.

Any of the UFA's remaining are not getting the $$ they want.  Maybe Yannick would like to join a contending team

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Any of the UFA's remaining are not getting the $$ they want.  Maybe Yannick would like to join a contending team

Yannick would be great. But of the DE's remaining who may have to settle, Yannick is the least likely to have to. He's the #1 available DE. 

If we were to get a DE, which I'm not convinced we will following signing Shaq back and Von being on pace to not miss any time, it would be more like a Quinn, Houston, Clowney, or Dunlap than an Ngakoue, Floyd, or Clark.

28 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Yannick is going to want paid like a starter, not sure we need that/have the $$$s.

He's not going to get that kind of money at this point. Most teams have their rosters set. The best thing a player like Ngakoue can do is go to a team that has a clear need at the position and show out on a one year deal. We'd be a good fit for him to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He's not going to get that kind of money at this point. Most teams have their rosters set. The best thing a player like Ngakoue can do is go to a team that has a clear need at the position and show out on a one year deal. We'd be a good fit for him to do that.

Yeah, but how is he going to do that on a team that doesn't have a clear defining starting role for him? 

Miller by all accounts is on pace for not missing any regular season time. I don't see them wanting to remove Groot from the Starting Lineup. Would Ngakoue get his fake share of reps cycled in? Sure.

But why would he take that role when he's the #1 DE option out there and could surely get an etched in stone starting role on another team?

If we were to add a DE, it would be someone from the list who has to settle for an off the bench role. As I said above, that's way more likely to be a Quinn, Houston, Clowney, Ingram, or Dunlap than an Ngakoue, Floyd, or Clark.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, but how is he going to do that on a team that doesn't have a clear defining starting role for him? 

Miller by all accounts is on pace for not missing any regular season time. I don't see them wanting to remove Groot from the Starting Lineup. Would Ngakoue get his fake share of reps cycled in? Sure.

But why would he take that role when he's the #1 DE option out there and could surely get an etched in stone starting role on another team?

If we were to add a DE, it would be someone from the list who has to settle for an off the bench role. As I said above, that's way more likely to be a Quinn, Houston, Clowney, or Dunlap than an Ngakoue, Floyd, or Clark.

Ngakoue isn't a full time starter anyways. He's a sub package pass rush only player. Think Jordan Phillips' role for us in 2019, but from the edge. No team is bringing him on now to be their primary starter. He's hit plenty of stops throughout his short career, teams know what he is.

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ngakoue isn't a full time starter anyways. He's a sub package pass rush only player. Think Jordan Phillips' role for us in 2019, but from the edge. No team is bringing him on now to be their primary starter. He's hit plenty of stops throughout his short career, teams know what he is.

Incorrect. Take a look at his game log - https://www.nfl.com/players/yannick-ngakoue/stats/

2022 - 15 games, 15 starts

2021 - 17 games, 17 starts

In fact, the only season he didn't start every game he played in his career was 2020. And that was due to being traded to a new team before the start of the season and being traded again midseason.

Again, there are DE's that will have to settle for a rotational pass rusher role with us. But Ngakoue is the top echelon of available DE's. There are teams that he could start on and he'd be signed to start on. 

If we bring one in, it will probably come later when the list has dwindled and a solid option is just looking to get on a team and will take anything. And with how deep the list is, it may very well be a very solid option.

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Feel like this is why he hasn't signed with anyone yet....he's asking too much/wants to be a starter (waiting for Draft/May 2nd comp pick date).

Either way, I'd love to see it happen but not expecting the $$$ to align with us.

35 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Incorrect. Take a look at his game log - https://www.nfl.com/players/yannick-ngakoue/stats/

2022 - 15 games, 15 starts

2021 - 17 games, 17 starts

I know his history, I'm talking about how teams see him now. He has bounced around from team to team. Every team that has tried him out as a starter has quickly moved on from him. His original team the Jaguars didn't really make an effort to bring him back. So the Vikings signed him and then almost immediately traded him to the Ravens, who didn't keep him past the season. He then signed with the Raiders who traded him to the Colts the following offseason. Now after one year with them he's a free agent post-draft.

So he is no longer seen as a primary starting edge rusher. He is going to have to accept his new role as a rotational player. No one still available at this point in the offseason can pretend they are more than that. If he does that at a high level for one year maybe he'll cash in one more time.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I know his history, I'm talking about how teams see him now. He has bounced around from team to team. Every team that has tried him out as a starter has quickly moved on from him. His original team the Jaguars didn't really make an effort to bring him back. So the Vikings signed him and then almost immediately traded him to the Ravens, who didn't keep him past the season. He then signed with the Raiders who traded him to the Colts the following offseason. Now after one year with them he's a free agent post-draft.

So he is no longer seen as a primary starting edge rusher. He is going to have to accept his new role as a rotational player. No one still available at this point in the offseason can pretend they are more than that. If he does that at a high level for one year maybe he'll cash in one more time.

It's not a confirmed fact that the league looks at him as just a situational pass rusher this year after starting every game last season. That's just your opinion. And based on recent history, that's an opinion that isn't based in statistics.

There was a log jam of available talent surely asking for large amounts of money and a number of teams that would address their need at DE in the Draft. Him being available now has more to do with that than meaning no one thinks he can start anymore.

Now that the Draft has ended, teams that weren't able to land a high pedigree DE will revisit the list of those available.

Ngakoue is in Tier 1 of that list. Surely not all of them will get starting roles. But Ngakoue will assuredly have better options for more playing time elsewhere than rotational behind Von Miller and Greg Rousseau, even in the event he doesn't start the season on the top of someone's depth chart - which I still believe is likely.

Again, with the role we're offering (if were even looking at DE at all, after bringing back Shaq and Miller on pace to not miss any time), it's going to be for someone who is desperate for pennies on the dollar. Of that list, Ngakoue is one of the, if not THE, least likely option to become desperate.

• Agree 1

FWIW  ECB had Bills looking at veteran DL market 3 days ago before Beane even mentioned we’d look to add there

he also had us signing a veteran LB half a day before Klein signed

now he’s saying “keep your eyes peeled” for veteran Edge

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He’s been a 60% snap guy. Would probably wind up being a little less here. But he is productive with those lower snap counts. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

FWIW  ECB had Bills looking at veteran DL market 3 days ago before Beane even mentioned we’d look to add there

he also had us signing a veteran LB half a day before Klein signed

now he’s saying “keep your eyes peeled” for veteran Edge

Oh man - please tell me that you're not still looking at the ErieCountyBulls Twitter account 🤦

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.