Beane: “working on at least 2 veteran UFA’s”

Warriorspikes51

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Locking Jones down long term makes no sense though. At his age the wall is coming. I hope we get another good year out of him. But we aren't going to get 3 or 4 more good years. 

It's the Star Lotulelei effect.  Fans got used to the Bills paying top dollar for a lousy DT1T play so solid rotational play seems like premium production.   Jones is literally the same player he'd always been at $4M per year.......and the two teams that had him were still like "meh" and let him walk.   He got a bump in pass rush production with the Bills but that should happen when you join the team who tends to win by the most points of any team in the conference.   It's not like TN or Carolina where they were hoping to be tied going into the 4th quarter every week. 

17 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And I can confirm that I am not the other one. I am not expected to sign tomorrow or any day thereafter.

So much for winning the Lombardi this year….

15 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

How about DJ Fluker for RT?

That guy is a massive human being…… one of his arms could feed a family of four cannibals for a year.  Wow….

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

AJ Klein is that veteran. Dodson is a vet. Beane has pretty much said after adding Williams they feel the LB room set. They are ready to see what they have in Bernard and Spector.

I hope they're right. At least we know what Klein can give us if no one else wins the job. In any case, we need to adjust the defense without Edmunds 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And I can confirm that I am not the other one. I am not expected to sign tomorrow or any day thereafter.

I have been in discussions about joining the Bills.  Granted, that discussion is only me letting them know I'm available.  But I'm sure they'll come around eventually and see my value.  

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I have been in discussions about joining the Bills.  Granted, that discussion is only me letting them know I'm available.  But I'm sure they'll come around eventually and see my value.  

I've been bulking up for a few decades myself....just waiting for that call😆...

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I got the sense that DL (specifically DT) was an area that we would look to add.

FWIW, it was so hard to hear in there yesterday!! That is especially true for Brian Gaine. 

He did say 2 DL I thought

If we sign a DT, does that mean we're carrying 5?  Because we seem to only ever carry 4.  

Same goes for EDGE... we currently have Von +4 (5 total).  Signing an EDGE gives us 6 guys.  

Maybe Von starts the season on PUP, but somethings got to give when he comes back, should we sign a legitimate DE.

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If we sign a DT, does that mean we're carrying 5?  Because we seem to only ever carry 4.  

Same goes for EDGE... we currently have Von +4 (5 total).  Signing an EDGE gives us 6 guys.  

Maybe Von starts the season on PUP, but somethings got to give when he comes back, should we sign a legitimate DE.

When Vons ready to come back maybe trade Basham or Epenesa...whoever's the least productive of the two. Same deal at DT.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am slightly confused by the defensive tackle thing. Isn't the issue less about numbers at the position this year and more about not having any under contract for next year (so facing yet another total makeover of the spot which no doubt will involve Beane spending all of his FA pennies there)? So how does signing a vet to a 1 year deal help? 

The attraction to drafting a guy was a cheap 4 year deal. An expensive 1 year deal makes less sense to me, even if they end up cutting Tim Settle.

We saw what happened when Jones went down last year.  Beyond planning for the future we need another stout body right now. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane said he didn't necessarily expect to get to 90 the other day. He said he expects them to get to 83 or 84. 

Either than means they will fill the rest with rookie try outs or maybe they go to camp light? 

Beane just said on OBL, that with so many guys at 90, you don't get a good enough chance to take a look at guys.  He feels it's a disservice to the players and their agents, that they tell these guys they'll get a chance with the team, so they sign.  Then ultimately they don't and could have gone elsewhere where they had a better shot.   Makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I think we've had multiple "stints", with 5 DTs and 5 DEs, on the 53 man roster LY.

Then times we called up Bryant/Ankou/etc from the P/S.  

But either way, the key is that we've needed to utilize a 5th DT because of injuries.  Good chance that trend continues, and we're probably looking to find a better backup at 1-technique.

I think we stay in contact with some of the Vet DEs, while we monitor Vons progress to return.  If he is to miss time early, PUP or worse, then I'd see us investing a bit more (Ngakwoue type).  Otherwise, I think we're set...a signing could also spark some debate if we try moving on from AJE.

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I think we've had multiple "stints", with 5 DTs and 5 DEs, on the 53 man roster LY.

Then times we called up Bryant/Ankou/etc from the P/S.  

But either way, the key is that we've needed to utilize a 5th DT because of injuries.  Good chance that trend continues, and we're probably looking to find a better backup at 1-technique.

I think we stay in contact with some of the Vet DEs, while we monitor Vons progress to return.  If he is to miss time early, PUP or worse, then I'd see us investing a bit more (Ngakwoue type).  Otherwise, I think we're set...a signing could also spark some debate if we try moving on from AJE.

Or Basham

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.