Bills Sign UDFA 6’6 WR Shavers (Reportedly 3 year deal)

Warriorspikes51

3 hours ago, boyst said:

I don't disagree with you at all. I speak from one anecdotal experience and then reading about some of this happening. In the early pp's a family friend was looking at a possible late round draft pick. His agent did not like the options he was likely to get through the draft on the teams that were calling and saying he was on their radar. Somehow, the agent was able to decline some drafting options to let him fall to UDFA status. The guy went to a super bowl contending team to backup a HOF player for 3 or 4 years on a UDFA contract where he was a PS player for most of it.

He had many interesting stories about his PS players are treated, and they're not given a second rate treatment. They're no star but they're well taken care of beyond the $$. 

That's actually really good to know about how well PS players are treated.  I have heard it varies from team to team, the biggest issue being availability of short-term housing in cities with tight and expensive housing markets (since PS guys can be signed to a roster across the country or released at any time).

I've heard that some of the best teams provide subsidized, furnished apartments and also encourage their position groups to take PS guys "under their wing" and offer them rooms, while others are more like "good luck, don't get hurt"

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Mainly it is because they end up being cut. Put on PS and then have to sign futures. Tricks people into thinking they were one year deals. 

the reality is when that PS player makes the team after camp. Stays on team all season He doesn’t have to be re-signed in offseason. Still would have 2 years left 

Ok that makes a lot of sense. I learned something today...thanks! 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

It's time to start trimming the fat on the ST player contracts. Guys like Metakavich, Jones, Kumerow etc are being phased out for guys like Spector, this guy, Dorian Williams, all on cheaper rookie contracts. Hopefully this guy is as described by that guy up above. May be a steal for the Bills.

Don't hold your breath on Matakevich since we just re-signed him, and he's pretty established as the ST tonesetter and captain until someone unseats him.

But I think you're correct that Jones and Kumerow and Jaquan Johnson are gone, in favor of Trent Sherfield (who can actually play WR), Zayne Anderson, and maybe 1 of our 2 new rookie WR

Beane has been pretty clear on the point that if you aren't starting on the Bills, you need to play ST.

14 hours ago, boyst said:

It's becoming normal. Players are trying to get to UDFA status instead of the 6-7 round. They get more flexibility and can negotiate a lot better deals. The NFLPA union screws rookie draftees. 

Well, then it would benefit a team like the Bills to draft him in the 7th to eliminate his bargaining power, right? So I’m not getting it. 

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Seems like some healthy WR battles in training camp this year.

I don't see much of a battle.  I think they keep 7 WRs with Short and Shavers making it and Dezmon Patmon, Keesean Johnson and Isaiah Couter being goners unless one of them surprises.  Now if they get DHop...

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, boyst said:

It's becoming normal. Players are trying to get to UDFA status instead of the 6-7 round. They get more flexibility and can negotiate a lot better deals. The NFLPA union screws rookie draftees. 

Agreed and since the signing bonus is minimal if they are cut after year 1 there really is no significant cap hit.  Though even with that it's unlikely they would be in the top 50 (I think this is the number) salaries that count towards the cap anyways. 

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't see much of a battle.  I think they keep 7 WRs with Short and Shavers making it and Dezmon Patmon, Keesean Johnson and Isaiah Couter being goners unless one of them surprises.  Now if they get DHop...

Agreed. 

The only thing that will be interesting is to see if Beane gets crazy and moves Davis knowing he will be gone next year anyways. 

I'm much higher on this board than most about Davis. I wouldn't move him.  I think he is going to be great this year.  He is going to be the homerun ball guy that gets one on one coverage as the safeties are pulled closer to the line because the run game and underneath passing is improved.

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agreed and since the signing bonus is minimal if they are cut after year 1 there really is no significant cap hit.  Though even with that it's unlikely they would be in the top 50 (I think this is the number) salaries that count towards the cap anyways. 

Agreed. 

The only thing that will be interesting is to see if Beane gets crazy and moves Davis knowing he will be gone next year anyways. 

I'm much higher on this board than most about Davis. I wouldn't move him.  I think he is going to be great this year.  He is going to be the homerun ball guy that gets one on one coverage as the safeties are pulled closer to the line because the run game and underneath passing is improved.

No reason to think Davis will be gone this year, or next for that matter.

It's one of the possibilities. But they also might easily find a way to keep him.

I'm with you that I think he'll be better this year, though I don't know about great. 

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

83/127 wasn’t great, wasn’t a complete disaster.

He wasn’t too far behind Fletcher Cox and Daron Payne. He was actually above Dre’Mont Jones who got a big pay day. 

Wasn’t he scuffed up a bit during the year too? Calf? 

I want to know who compiled those rankings because Daron Payne was one of the best DTs in the league last season

17 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Damn...a 3 years contract for a UDFA? Is that normal?

Yea unless you get just a mini camp invite 

they sign 3 year deals

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Any player receiving a 3 year deal should have been drafted no later than round 4.

Obviously Brandon Beane thought this guy was walking after one season.

Every single undrafted free agent who signs with  a team is given a three-year deal

It’s when they get cut and re-sign to the practice squad… That futures contract takes place

Any undrafted free agent that makes the team out of camp has three years

7 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think we may carry a 7th WR as opposed to a 4th RB like we have in the past. 

Someone like Shavers as WR7 as opposed to Taiwan Jones as RB4. 

Allen/Allen (2)

Cook/Harris/Hines (3)

Gilliam (1)

Diggs/Davis/Shakir/Harty/Sherfield/Shorter/Shavers (7)

Knox/Kincaid/Morris (3) 

Dawkins/Brown/Morse/Bates/McGovern/Torrence/

Edwards/Doyle (8) 

Rousseau/Basham/Lawson/Epenesa/Miller (5)

Jones/Oliver/Settle/Phillips (4)

Milano/Bernard/Williams/Dodson/Matakevich (5)

White/Elam/Benford/Johnson/Jackson/Neal (6)

Hyde/Poyer/Rapp/Hamlin (4) 

Martin/Bass/Ferguson (3) 

That’s 51/53

It would leave the following guys competing for the last 2 spots (3 with Von likely starting on the PUP). 

Broeker, Quessenberry, Boettger (OL)

Jonathan/Ankou/Bryant (DL)

Klein/Spector (LB)

Austin/Lewis (DB) 

Wow, this is a pretty durn good roster forecast right out of the draft.

Historically last 2 seasons, Bills roster has broken down as follows

QB 2, RB 4, FB 1, WR 6, TE 3, OL 9, DL 9, LB 6, CB 6 S 4 ST 3

QB 2 RB 4, FB1 WR 7, TE 2, OL 9 DL 10 LB 6, CB 5 S 4 ST 3

So we've carried 7 WR before, but it was at the expense of only 2 TE which I think bit us in the buttocks when Knox broke his hand

Whether we'd do it at the expense of an RB - given that Hines is kind of like a quasi receiver - I don't know.  I guess it would depend on how much confidence we have in Gilliam in the RB role a fullback sometimes has?

Re your last 2 spots:

-Unless something very unexpected happens, I think you can lock Klein into a roster spot this year.   I think this because when pushed a bit about MLB in his post draft presser, Beane said something to the effect "we have a guy on the roster we know can do it, AJ Klein". 

-If the rules of the previous 3 seasons remain, teams get a benefit of having 8 OLmen active on game day, of being able to have 48 active players instead of 46.

So I don't see the Bills carrying less than 9 OLmen on the active roster, because with dings or injuries it's going to be hard to field 8 active OLmen with only 8 on the roster.

Re some guys you put on the roster:

-I'm pretty confident Doyle, who tore his ACL in the 1st Miami game on September 25th, is going to start the season on PUP.   And I haven't seen anything out of Doyle that says to me he's better than Quessenberry at swing tackle.  So barring Edwards just playing his ass off at OT, or acquiring someone better, I think Quessenberry is a lock. 

No more TD Jesus

On 4/29/2023 at 10:37 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Likely little interest in Kumerow league wide due to injury and surgery.  I'm guessing no one signs him till medically cleared.  Could see the Bills signing him to PS as insurance against injury elsewhere on roster.  But Rodgers may want him for Jets

What surgery did Kumerow have ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.