Bills Sign UDFA 6’6 WR Shavers (Reportedly 3 year deal)

Warriorspikes51

22 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think we may carry a 7th WR as opposed to a 4th RB like we have in the past. 

Someone like Shavers as WR7 as opposed to Taiwan Jones as RB4. 

Allen/Allen (2)

Cook/Harris/Hines (3)

Gilliam (1)

Diggs/Davis/Shakir/Harty/Sherfield/Shorter/Shavers (7)

Knox/Kincaid/Morris (3) 

Dawkins/Brown/Morse/Bates/McGovern/Torrence/

Edwards/Doyle (8) 

Rousseau/Basham/Lawson/Epenesa/Miller (5)

Jones/Oliver/Settle/Phillips (4)

Milano/Bernard/Williams/Dodson/Matakevich (5)

White/Elam/Benford/Johnson/Jackson/Neal (6)

Hyde/Poyer/Rapp/Hamlin (4) 

Martin/Bass/Ferguson (3) 

That’s 51/53

It would leave the following guys competing for the last 2 spots (3 with Von likely starting on the PUP). 

Broeker, Quessenberry, Boettger (OL)

Jonathan/Ankou/Bryant (DL)

Klein/Spector (LB)

Austin/Lewis (DB) 

I agree they may keep 7 WR, but it sounds pretty much guaranteed that the Bills are going to sign at least 1 DL piece soon. 

That being said, I don’t know if Settle or Basham are completely safe. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

Well, have you thought about how important ST are to wins and losses. Marv Levey did and he was right in my opinion.

Have I? Yes and I have articulated it several times. In 2023…almost not at all. They have changed every rule to where STs is borderline meaningless. Almost nobody returns anything and almost every play is a penalty 

24 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Did we go with 7 last year to start the season? If so, we are good. Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Hardy, Sherfield and the two rookies. 

I don't recall.  I have no idea BTW, just asking the question.  I mean we drafted this WR Shorter from Florida that everyone's going bonkers over, but in addition to him and numerous others on the roster, I don't know where they're all going to fit.  You only need so many STs WRs, eh.  

We'll see.  On a tangent though, our OL could be much better of Torrence is the real thing and McGovern is as they say.  Bates can play C if Morse gets hurt, Dawkins is solid despite some being down on him, so if Brown can step up, particularly with four other decent OL-men next to him, if Dorsey can avoid f'ing things up then we could very well have the #1 offense.  I don't have the same hopes for our D, but having the top offense or even a well-balanced #2 would be great.  

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Have I? Yes and I have articulated it several times. In 2023…almost not at all. They have changed every rule to where STs is borderline meaningless. Almost nobody returns anything and almost every play is a penalty 

Must agree. In spite of the rule changes I think special teams is important.

24 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think we may carry a 7th WR as opposed to a 4th RB like we have in the past. 

Someone like Shavers as WR7 as opposed to Taiwan Jones as RB4. 

Allen/Allen (2)

Cook/Harris/Hines (3)

Gilliam (1)

Diggs/Davis/Shakir/Harty/Sherfield/Shorter/Shavers (7)

Knox/Kincaid/Morris (3) 

Dawkins/Brown/Morse/Bates/McGovern/Torrence/

Edwards/Doyle (8) 

Rousseau/Basham/Lawson/Epenesa/Miller (5)

Jones/Oliver/Settle/Phillips (4)

Milano/Bernard/Williams/Dodson/Matakevich (5)

White/Elam/Benford/Johnson/Jackson/Neal (6)

Hyde/Poyer/Rapp/Hamlin (4) 

Martin/Bass/Ferguson (3) 

That’s 51/53

It would leave the following guys competing for the last 2 spots (3 with Von likely starting on the PUP). 

Broeker, Quessenberry, Boettger (OL)

Jonathan/Ankou/Bryant (DL)

Klein/Spector (LB)

Austin/Lewis (DB) 

Gotta think that Klein will find his way onto the roster.

I'm curious to see how Doyle may look coming off the injury. 2 years ago he was basically the swing tackle, and he is still a very young player. Hopefully he shows enough to where Quessenberry is not needed

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think it can hurt you and obviously don’t miss FGs…but return game has never been less important 

FG's, punting game are obviously important. Seems to me there are still a fair amount of run backs as well. I'd be interested in some stats on that.

13 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Gotta think that Klein will find his way onto the roster.

I'm curious to see how Doyle may look coming off the injury. 2 years ago he was basically the swing tackle, and he is still a very young player. Hopefully he shows enough to where Quessenberry is not needed

I think if Doyle is healthy he makes the roster easily. He showed some positive flashes before injury. 

31 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

The 4.38 was wind-aided (as per the article).

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

There isn't a lot of video of him from what I saw but yeah he doesn't look very fast in the little bit of it.    Not 4.38 likely.   There are a few of these traits WR's with stories of interest.   Shavers wasn't one of the plethora of 5 stars in this draft but he was a big time recruit with rare size.   Back in 2017 that is. :lol:  The Bills got another one with Jalen Wayne part of the Reggie Wayne family.    I was hoping for Shedrick Jackson........nephew of Bo.   He signed with Cinci.   All of these guys will probably be playing spring football in a couple years but it adds interest to the preseason etc.. 

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I agree they may keep 7 WR, but it sounds pretty much guaranteed that the Bills are going to sign at least 1 DL piece soon. 

That being said, I don’t know if Settle or Basham are completely safe. 

Settle ought to be safe. Good player at a thin position. What am I missing?

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Settle ought to be safe. Good player at a thin position. What am I missing?

Im pretty sure he graded out as one of the worst DL in the league last year.  

I was intrigued when we signed him, but he gave us nothing last year. 

39 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Somewhat off topic but I saw Josh speak at UB a couple weeks ago and he said that his touchdown to Kumerow against the Broncos during the 2020 season was his favorite touchdown pass he’s ever thrown. 

We're just lucky that ball didn't travel back in time to the year 1955.

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Have you seen him?   He is built for wind confusion.

Nope.  I know very little about him other than what's been posted here.  Just saying the link above says the 4.38 was wind-aided.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im pretty sure he graded out as one of the worst DL in the league last year.  

I was intrigued when we signed him, but he gave us nothing last year. 

83/127 wasn’t great, wasn’t a complete disaster.

He wasn’t too far behind Fletcher Cox and Daron Payne. He was actually above Dre’Mont Jones who got a big pay day. 

Wasn’t he scuffed up a bit during the year too? Calf? 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

And yet most teams have several spots for ST guys, including just about all of the good ones.

STs make a difference. Less difference than they used to, that's correct. But they still make a difference. Teams fight for every advantage, as they should.

13 hours ago, boyst said:

It's becoming normal. Players are trying to get to UDFA status instead of the 6-7 round. They get more flexibility and can negotiate a lot better deals. The NFLPA union screws rookie draftees. 

The NFL rookie wage scale was implemented during the 2011 negotiations. It took money from 1st rounders such as Sam Bradford ($76 million), Jason Smith ($62 million), JaMarcus Russell $61 million) and reallocated that money towards veteran players who had already proven their value.

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You mean nobody wants a 33 year old with like 10 career catches? 

You have to admit, "Touchdown Jesus" is a pretty cool nickname though.

13 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Team is just obsessed with STs lol it’s insatiable 

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Well, have you thought about how important ST are to wins and losses. Marv Levey did and he was right in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Must agree. In spite of the rule changes I think special teams is important.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think it can hurt you and obviously don’t miss FGs…but return game has never been less important 

1 hour ago, Radar said:

FG's, punting game are obviously important. Seems to me there are still a fair amount of run backs as well. I'd be interested in some stats on that.

12 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

And yet most teams have several spots for ST guys, including just about all of the good ones.

STs make a difference. Less difference than they used to, that's correct. But they still make a difference. Teams fight for every advantage, as they should.

Yes, ST is less important but still important.

Ask the 2021 Green Bay Packers who lost 4 games directly to special teams including their NFC Divisional Game loss to SF.

"Despite leading 10–3 throughout most of the game, the Packers went on to lose 13–10 to the 49ers. During the game, the special teams received scrutiny after allowing a blocked field goal, a 32-yard kick return by JaMycal Hasty, a 45-yard return by Deebo Samuel, and blocked punt that would tie the game at 10–10 in the 4th quarter."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.