Bills Sign UDFA 6’6 WR Shavers (Reportedly 3 year deal)

Warriorspikes51

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Damn...a 3 years contract for a UDFA? Is that normal?

It's becoming normal. Players are trying to get to UDFA status instead of the 6-7 round. They get more flexibility and can negotiate a lot better deals. The NFLPA union screws rookie draftees. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Hopefully we can say ba-bye to Jones and Kumerow

Likely little interest in Kumerow league wide due to injury and surgery.  I'm guessing no one signs him till medically cleared.  Could see the Bills signing him to PS as insurance against injury elsewhere on roster.  But Rodgers may want him for Jets

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

depends upon the terms.  UDFA normally sign for 3 years.

58 minutes ago, boyst said:

It's becoming normal. Players are trying to get to UDFA status instead of the 6-7 round. They get more flexibility and can negotiate a lot better deals. The NFLPA union screws rookie draftees. 

That implies a flexibility that is not quite accurate.  Teams have an assigned pool of money they can use to give players signing bonuses, between $150-200k.  The base salary is set at $750,000 and the team can give as little or as much signing bonus as they want to a given rookie - provided the sum of the signing bonuses they give all their FA fall within their pool.

7th round draft picks get closer to $770-780k salary and signing bonuses of $77k to $100k.  The rare UDFA may get as much or more signing bonus, but I don't think it's that common.

The advantage of being an UDFA is mostly the player can pick what team they sign with, vs. "we drafted you, you wanna play, you play for us".  They also get to shop around in FA after year 3 vs waiting until after year 4, but the RFA tender may limit their market. 

Neither of those are advantages to be sneezed at, but I don't think "ability to negotiate better deals" improves many UDFA contracts above what 6 or 7 rounders get.  They have to be a helluva find to get half the pool as their signing bonus.

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Hopefully we can say ba-bye to Jones and Kumerow

I believe we already have.  Jaquan Johnson also (signed with LVR)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Works in favor of the team.

You can bet he gets virtually none of that guaranteed. Beyond the signing bonus anyway, which will be very small indeed.

So this just gives the team exclusive rights on him for three years, though if they don't like him he's gone by morning.

I like this pickup. A great STs guy, so it'll keep that pot boiling.

Well, Kumerow is a goner

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

There a lot of WRs on the team now.  Which won't make it?

Diggs, Davis, & Shakir will be there.  Just signed Hasty & Sherfield.  Two TEs, one supposedly playing slot now.  

It probably doesn’t bode well for our back up tight end, but Dalton will go into that slot and not count as a receiver

Personally, I like that they’re addressing the position

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Likely little interest in Kumerow league wide due to injury and surgery.  I'm guessing no one signs him till medically cleared.  Could see the Bills signing him to PS as insurance against injury elsewhere on roster.  But Rodgers may want him for Jets

How about the jets…wonder boy likes him

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.