Beane's Frustrations

hondo in seattle

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I guess I’m confused as to what you thought Beane was thinking then. Not necessarily frustration but it was obvious they need help on the line and with catching the ball. What direction did you think he was going to go? 

I had no big expectations this draft but there were some who thought Beane wanted to upgrade the RB position.  Yet no RB was taken.  And there were some who thought Beane might be more aggressive about picking up a Mike or two.   Yet he only picks one LB and he's Will sized.  

I think the draft tells us that Beane's frustrations matched the frustrations of the fan base.  GMs and fans aren't always aligned but, in this case, it seems we were.  Fans clamored for offensive help and got it.  Fans were frustrated with drops and - judging by the two sure-handed picks - it seems Beane was, too.  It also seems Beane was - finally - frustrated with the porous OL and got a couple of guys with good track records as bodyguards.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I think Beane just told us what frustrated him the most about last year's roster.

With just six picks, he drafted two guards who didn't give up a sack last season.  And two receivers who only dropped three passes in the past two years.  

Hondo, I like you as I almost did the whole captain obvious commercial short.  So seriously, yes I firmly believe as well.  Our G’s sucked last year and I’m normally the positive one about the team.  Gabe also drive me nuts with how much je dropped the ball.

I still hold the notion that Hopkins can still be acquired and in a way ee

dont have to use draft capital until next year and we have that extra 3rd for Edmunds.  That would complete this off season.

We would add exactly what was needed from FA and the draft.  We acquired a fast WR, sure handed WR’s, mamouth G’s, another MLB, and a DB.  A DT would’ve been nice, but it’s not Madden. You can’t grocery shop for everything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I think Beane just told us what frustrated him the most about last year's roster.

With just six picks, he drafted two guards who didn't give up a sack last season.  And two receivers who only dropped three passes in the past two years.  

He does realise HE built last year's roster too, right? HE paid $6m to Roger Saffold for a passable impression of a limp lettuce leaf all season long. HE matched the offer for Bates. HE decided McKenzie and the often hurt Crowder was sufficient cover at slot. 

I am glad he was frustrated. We all were. Especially at guard I am actually encouraged by the moves - both FA and draft. I think the line has the potential to be the best Josh has had in Buffalo. Not an elite line, but one good enough to keep him protected. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

But wait i was told by the message board GMs Shorter can’t catch?

Yeah, it's weird and I don't the know what to make of him.  I see some analyses that say that the good thing about him is that he never drops the ball.  Then I see others that say the problem with him is that he has too many drops.  It's one thing to have polarized opinions on whether a pick is good or not, but another to have polarized opinions on what his qualities are.  Very strange.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, experience is one thing, ability to hold the fort as a starter is different.  There's absolutely nothing to suggest that anyone after Milano is starting LB material.  

It's concerning to be sure.  And what if Milano were to get injured?  Yikes!!  

Williams is excellent in coverage and could back up Milano.

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

We don't know that yet, even if true, I'm sure it'd be a big drop off from Milano to a rookie.  

More concerned about the other starting positions tho. Milano has no significant injury history.

12 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

He also said he was frustrated his picks didn’t match a DTs value in the draft . Says they will sign a vet this week. I wonder who? I know Poona Ford was mentioned a lot but who’s out there and have any played for the Bills previously 

Who couldn't use some Poon.......a.....

13 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

You’re not reading into it too much at all. Allen was running for his life too much and didn’t trust his options in the middle of the field. They addressed both. I’m sure Beane watched the SB and said to himself that the difference was offensive line. He made that a priority this off-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah, it's weird and I don't the know what to make of him.  I see some analyses that say that the good thing about him is that he never drops the ball.  Then I see others that say the problem with him is that he has too many drops.  It's one thing to have polarized opinions on whether a pick is good or not, but another to have polarized opinions on what his qualities are.  Very strange.

I read that he had a lot of drops early in his career, disappointing many after being a highly recruited high school player. Then after that, he dropped very few. Also that his draft stock was held down by his built-up speed, limiting his game to a Gabe-Davis deep threat type player. Maybe he could replace Davis if Davis continues to drop the ball in clutch situations. 

I think FO and Coaching staff have come to the following conclusion that path to the Super Bowl lies with the offense. You are not going to stop top tier QBs like Mahomes and Burrows no matter how good your defense is. So the goal is to outscore them and hope McDermott can make some timely calls to slow teams down and come up with some turnovers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:49 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Love it. Good call, Hondo. Honesty and transparency at this level is such a difficult thing to be. It should be more expected. We’re all adults here. We can handle the truth. 

31 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I think FO and Coaching staff have come to the following conclusion that path to the Super Bowl lies with the offense. You are not going to stop top tier QBs like Mahomes and Burrows no matter how good your defense is. So the goal is to outscore them and hope McDermott can make some timely calls to slow teams down and come up with some turnovers.

I’d feel MUCH better about this if the H-C didn’t specialize in a D-Fense

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2023 at 9:37 AM, PBF81 said:

We don't know that yet, even if true, I'm sure it'd be a big drop off from Milano to a rookie.  

More concerned about the other starting positions tho. Milano has no significant injury history.

I mean - isn't every backup considerably worse than the starter?  If he was good, he'd just be the starter.  

On 4/30/2023 at 8:06 AM, Herb Nightly said:

I'm not sure he's out of the discussion to start at the mike either.  

On 4/29/2023 at 8:49 PM, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe I'm reading Ioo much into this, but I think Beane just told us what frustrated him the most about last year's roster.

Interesting.  His other frustration?  A power run game.  So, in addition to a straight-ahead run-blocking stud guard, he went after two veteran power running backs.  

On 4/30/2023 at 5:01 AM, fergie's ire said:

Reports were that he very rarely drops a pass, but has instances where he double clutches, or doesn’t catch it clean, so it calls into question his hands. The biggest knock about his catch percentage was his contested catch rate. I don’t have the percentage in front of me, but it was abysmal. From memory I want to say it was like 6/20 (30%).

15 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I mean - isn't every backup considerably worse than the starter?  If he was good, he'd just be the starter.  

Which has pretty much been my point all along.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.