UDFA signings 2023

KingBoots8

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I guess my question is, from a cap perspective is there any reason not to be at 90 prior to all the OTA’s, and then if someone comes along, it is as simple as replacing one player with another?

For UDFAs the minute they are signed they would not count.  With every contract here on out we drop 1M off the cap based on the top 51.  So a UDFA would immediately go into the not counting.  UFAs would as long as they are over 1M this year.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’m wondering if that has to do with the fact that there is only one roster cutdown date now - so it’ll be a mass purge from 90 to 53. That was a rule change this year. 

That rule should slightly alter workload management for guys. Knowing that you’ll get to keep everyone the whole time means you’re not worried about spreading out game reps/managing injuries. 

A couple less guys at each positions increases the amount of reps. The greatest resource you have as a player/coach is time… there’s only so much of it to go around. 

I’m just spitballing - I know we don’t typically carry the full 90 anyway. 

This could be as well as Beane just being professional and letting these young kids try and catch on elsewhere instead of locking them on the Bills just to cut them after week 3.  I am sure is sees that there is an uphill path to the roster so maybe just doing that too. 

My Concern would be like the WRs and DBs having to maybe take on more reps and overuse injuries in offseason, but Bills are really good at load management, so I guess that probably would not be a concern for them.

2 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

@LyndonvilleBill Yeah, in his 30 minute post-draft presser, Beane mentioned that we won't likely go all the way up to 91, and mentioned the mid-80's as a rough estimate. Makes sense.

It does make sense, seeing that many have virtually no chance of making the team, why waste resources on them when that time and energy can be better used to improve players that are more likely to be rostered. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

What is the reason to only go with 85 instead of 90?

Some teams like to mess around with their UDFA - they bring them in, then if they sign a vet, they cut them.

I think Beane likes to leave some open spots so that if he signs a vet FA or makes a trade, he doesn't need to cut anyone.

• Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

It does make sense, seeing that many have virtually no chance of making the team, why waste resources on them when that time and energy can be better used to improve players that are more likely to be rostered. 

Precisely! Resources are limited; focus on the ones with a chance to stick. 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Some teams like to mess around with their UDFA - they bring them in, then if they sign a vet, they cut them.

I think Beane likes to leave some open spots so that if he signs a vet FA or makes a trade, he doesn't need to cut anyone.

Smart and very decent.

47 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Love the fact that they are giving the son of a former Buffalo Bills player an opportunity to carry out his dream. 

And a league executive. Maybe we will finally get some roughing the passer calls to protect Josh. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Braydon Johnson, WR, Oklahoma State - Signed as a FA 

I got to watch Braydon at Oklahoma State for five years and he has a chance to make the roster. He's good. 6'0 & around 200 lbs. 4.37 speed. HARD worker and great kid. 

Had around 600 yards last season (he missed about a month due to injury)... averaged 18 ypc. He came back from injury and had 110 yards against OU in Norman. 

Would be cool to see him make the roster next season (since I'm a die-hard Oklahoma State fan/alum/season ticket holder).  

• Like (+1) 8

19 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Braydon Johnson, WR, Oklahoma State - Signed as a FA 

I got to watch Braydon at Oklahoma State for five years and he has a chance to make the roster. He's good. 6'0 & around 200 lbs. 4.37 speed. HARD worker and great kid. 

Had around 600 yards last season (he missed about a month due to injury)... averaged 18 ypc. He came back from injury and had 110 yards against OU in Norman. 

Would be cool to see him make the roster next season (since I'm a die-hard Oklahoma State fan/alum/season ticket holder).  

Nice! At the very least sounds like a fun training camp watch and PS addition 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

***** 5 Star recruit but had a shoulder injury that ended his 2019 season and "knocked him off course as a prospect"

Most five-star recruits don’t even play like 5* recruits in college… huge let down rate

The talent level once everybody enters the league is so vastly thin … And 21 year old kids are not done developing

Its the little things like work ethic and study habits that set players apart because the actual talent divide is a lot smaller than people realize 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2023 at 8:23 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

YES!!!! #UBHornsUp

Insert your lame JP novelist joke below, I'll start:

I heard he goes by the nickname Alex Cross and when possible he likes to Kiss the Girls....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.