First Glance...Which Team Drafted Great!

Wizard

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Did they? I am with @NoSaint. They turned the 6th and 18th picks intona running back and off the ball linebacker. In 2023. That's horrific positional value.

Sam LaPorta was taken too high for my money at #34. He is a good prospect. But they traded Hock for a 2nd round pick (despite not being tight to the cap and having the ability to pay him) then spent that pick on his replacement. 

I liked the Branch and Hooker picks but then Broderick Martin was a reach. Know nothing about their day 3 guys.

I disagree with your assessment that Campbell is "an off the ball LB".  You are confused by his throwback facial features, and can't possibly conclude that from watching video or evaluating athletic metrics. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Chaos said:

I disagree with your assessment that Campbell is "an off the ball LB".  You are confused by his throwback facial features, and can't possibly conclude that from watching video or evaluating athletic metrics. 

He is an off the ball linebacker. He doesn't play on the line of scrimmage.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Did they? I am with @NoSaint. They turned the 6th and 18th picks intona running back and off the ball linebacker. In 2023. That's horrific positional value.

Sam LaPorta was taken too high for my money at #34. He is a good prospect. But they traded Hock for a 2nd round pick (despite not being tight to the cap and having the ability to pay him) then spent that pick on his replacement. 

I liked the Branch and Hooker picks but then Broderick Martin was a reach. Know nothing about their day 3 guys.

and not even the top back In the class. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is an off the ball linebacker. He doesn't play on the line of scrimmage.

ok. i concede, if that is the definition. Does Edmunds fit this definition. 

Texans, transformed there offense and defense.   I am not saying they are now a superbowl contender. But they went from nothing at all to being 0 to 2 years from being a meaningfull team. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Eyeroll 1

One of the the Big winner in the draft was the Chiefs. Compare the offseason moves and draft in the AFC east, to already dismal chiefs competition in the AFC west.  It is not clear any AFC west team meaningfully improved itself in the offseason, Sean Payton notwithstanding. 

49 minutes ago, BBFL said:

😂

Just asked this in the draft day thread. 

Lions/Steelers for me personally. Texans and Eagles are right there with them though. 

Titans closely follow. A few teams had great drafts. 

Lions didn't have a great draft at all... reached big time on their first 2 picks

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, BBFL said:

😂

Just asked this in the draft day thread. 

Lions/Steelers for me personally. Texans and Eagles are right there with them though. 

Titans closely follow. A few teams had great drafts. 

My first reaction to this was:  Lions?  Already having Swift, they add David Montgomery and then draft Gibbs at 12?  Then reach for Campbell at 18?  But then they added LaPorta, Branch & Hooker?   What a haul!

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

says the guy who obviously doesn’t know what the term means…

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is. Off the ball is just a way of distinguishing linebackers who play off as opposed to linebackers whose primary responsibility is to rush the passer. 

Oh so you weren't confused by his throwback facial features?   Be honest.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is. Off the ball is just a way of distinguishing linebackers who play off as opposed to linebackers whose primary responsibility is to rush the passer. 

Amazing that people who post here daily and play like they know everything don’t know that. 

but hey, anyone that shows their a** like that in embarrassing fashion is always entertaining 

Thank YOU by the way, Gunner, for always great prospect and draft analysis year after year!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

PFF liked us:

BUFFALO BILLS

R1 (25): TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah
R2 (59): G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida
R3 (91): LB Dorian Williams, Tulane
R5 (150): WR Justin Shorter, Florida
R7 (230): OG Nick Broeker, Ole Miss
R7 (252): CB Alex Austin, Oregon State

Day 1: The Bills make a small jump but land the premier pass-catching tight end in the draft in Kincaid. The 10th overall player on the PFF big board, this is a huge value pick. Kincaid was the focal point of the Utah offense and led all players at the position with a 91.8 PFF receiving grade.

Day 2: Like the Giants just a few picks ago, this could have easily been the Bills’ first-round pick. A mountain of a man at the position, he can still move better than his size would suggest. After starting his career at Louisiana, he made the move to the SEC with ease, finishing 2022 with an 89.9 PFF run-blocking grade, which was the best in the Power Five last season.

The Bills trade up to secure Williams, a player with legitimate range and a huge wingspan. Those traits helped him morph into one of the most impactful players at the position against the pass throughout his college career. Williams produced a top-10 coverage grade among FBS off-ball linebackers in two of his last three seasons at Tulane.

Day 3: Shorter is one of the bigger wide receivers in this class, coming in at 6-foot-4 and 234 pounds with nearly 34-inch arms. He was a big-play threat for the Gators and averaged 19.9 yards per reception in 2022 without a dropped pass. He’ll likely fill a similar role for Buffalo and compete to be on the receiving end of Josh Allen bombs.

Most of Broeker’s 3,323 offensive snaps at Ole Miss came at left tackle, but he kicked inside to left guard in 2022. He was a reliable pass protector for the Rebels with 70.0-plus PFF pass-blocking grades in each of the past two seasons.

Austin produced 70.0-plus PFF coverage and run defense grades in his final season in college. On the field for 476 coverage snaps, he allowed 42 receptions for 529 yards in 2022.

DRAFT GRADE: A

Is Broerker a stealth Spencer Brown Competitor?

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Lions didn't have a great draft at all... reached big time on their first 2 picks

yeah I mean they obviously drafted Gibbs with the intent of shipping off Swift, which they did, and Campbell was best in class at MLB but both were way too high value-wise. But we shall see! If they both turn out well no one will care where they were drafted in a couple of years.

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

I think the Eagles had a great draft. No doubt that Carter is a knucklehead, but his talent is legit, and he is going to a team with solid players already and a winning culture.  Add in Nolan Smith, Ringo, and then some guys who were productive players in college, I think they had a great draft.

I would give our Bills an "A" for the first 2 rounds and a "C" for rounds 3-7 at first glance.

I am just gonna say it...I don't care about what draft slot a player was taken, that is only something fans and media care about, not front offices or coaches.  Once the draft is over, what you do on the field is all that matters.  There is one team that has gotten low marks whose draft I think is being grossly undervalued, and that is the Detroit Lions.   I said all this after day 2, and still feel the same way now.  

They are getting low marks mostly over something as trivial as "draft slot" mainly because of Gibbs going at 12 and some feel Campbell was a reach at 18 (I don't).  But literally, draft slot grading is absolutely the worst and least accurate way to grade a draft.  When you remove that and look at who they landed, how they fit into their team, and the impact it could have on this franchise, then I really like this draft.  

In the first 5 picks...the Lions added:  Top LB, Top S, 2nd best RB, 2nd best receiving TE, and a QB with upside.  4 of them are sure fire contributors this year, including 3 starters.  

RB - Gibbs - 2nd best RB in the draft with immense upside being added to an already high scoring offense.  Probably splits time early on, but could push to start as the season wears on, especially if they trade Swift as it sounds like that could happen.  Even last year, Swift seemed to give way to Jamaal as the lead back at times.  I think Swift has somewhat fallen out of favor there, maybe over durability, and probably gets moved.  

LB - Campbell - This is a Dan Campbell kind of guy and was the best LB in the draft.  Day 1 starter on a team that really needed a LB.  

TE - LaPorta - Easily the 2nd best offensive weapon at TE in the draft and instant starter.  Adding him and Gibbs into an already high octane offense should insure they are among the top offenses in the league again.

S - Branch - arguably the best Safety in the draft and a major need for them who should again be a day 1 starter.

QB - Hooker - Top of the 2nd tier QB class of this draft, who has starter level potential to develop as a quality backup, someone to push Goff down the road, or develop into a trade asset.  Either way, great value where they got him compared to where most thought he might go (late first or 2nd).  

Time will tell if those players succeed or not in the NFL, but looking at the Lions roster, I have to say this feels like a strong draft for them today.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

PFF liked us:

BUFFALO BILLS

R1 (25): TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah
R2 (59): G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida
R3 (91): LB Dorian Williams, Tulane
R5 (150): WR Justin Shorter, Florida
R7 (230): OG Nick Broeker, Ole Miss
R7 (252): CB Alex Austin, Oregon State

Day 1: The Bills make a small jump but land the premier pass-catching tight end in the draft in Kincaid. The 10th overall player on the PFF big board, this is a huge value pick. Kincaid was the focal point of the Utah offense and led all players at the position with a 91.8 PFF receiving grade.

Day 2: Like the Giants just a few picks ago, this could have easily been the Bills’ first-round pick. A mountain of a man at the position, he can still move better than his size would suggest. After starting his career at Louisiana, he made the move to the SEC with ease, finishing 2022 with an 89.9 PFF run-blocking grade, which was the best in the Power Five last season.

The Bills trade up to secure Williams, a player with legitimate range and a huge wingspan. Those traits helped him morph into one of the most impactful players at the position against the pass throughout his college career. Williams produced a top-10 coverage grade among FBS off-ball linebackers in two of his last three seasons at Tulane.

Day 3: Shorter is one of the bigger wide receivers in this class, coming in at 6-foot-4 and 234 pounds with nearly 34-inch arms. He was a big-play threat for the Gators and averaged 19.9 yards per reception in 2022 without a dropped pass. He’ll likely fill a similar role for Buffalo and compete to be on the receiving end of Josh Allen bombs.

Most of Broeker’s 3,323 offensive snaps at Ole Miss came at left tackle, but he kicked inside to left guard in 2022. He was a reliable pass protector for the Rebels with 70.0-plus PFF pass-blocking grades in each of the past two seasons.

Austin produced 70.0-plus PFF coverage and run defense grades in his final season in college. On the field for 476 coverage snaps, he allowed 42 receptions for 529 yards in 2022.

DRAFT GRADE: A

Is Broerker a stealth Spencer Brown Competitor?

Thanks for posting!

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

yeah I mean they obviously drafted Gibbs with the intent of shipping off Swift, which they did, and Campbell was best in class at MLB but both were way too high value-wise. But we shall see! If they both turn out well no one will care where they were drafted in a couple of years.

Even if Gibbs turns out good, the position isn't valuable. You could get 85% of the production with a dude in the 5th round, not a position you spend a top 15 pick on

20 minutes ago, Chaos said:

ok. i concede, if that is the definition. Does Edmunds fit this definition. 

Texans, transformed their offense and defense.   I am not saying they are now a superbowl contender. But they went from nothing at all to being 0 to 2 years from being a meaningfull team. 

obviously Edmonds does.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.