Famous NFL Draft "Reaches" who went on to significant NFL Success

Chaos

On 4/30/2023 at 1:20 PM, Chaos said:

image.thumb.png.6a1597300d08b8b62c2d6e722ce3f35b.png

No. Mahomes was a consenus first round pick.  Ajdusting for positional value, he was a bit of a reach at 10.  But he is far from the biggest reach to succeed. 

A large faction o TBD sure seemed to think he was a huge reach.

Edited by Billl

On 4/30/2023 at 2:07 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I doubt any fanbase was more in on Mahomes than Bills fans either.    He was already getting hyped here on TSW in June of 2016.   @thebandit27 was all over it.   

Yeah.  There was a huge thread called something like The only Mahomes thread you’ll ever need.  That was about 200 Mahomes threads ago.

12 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

How about Patrick Chung, or  Kyle Dugger. Both were considered huge reaches when BB drafted them. Chung had a very good career and Dugger is a top Safety.

Duggar wasn’t a reach some people were talking about him in the 2nd round. There was actually a strong rumor out there that the Bills were going to take him in round 2 but NE beat them to the punch 

• Like (+1) 2

Ricky Williams... RB.. NO. Saints.

He has a pretty damn good career till his off field actions got crazy. Solid RB and a character to boot. Many Laughed at Ditka for reaching for him but no one was laughing as Ricky Williams ran over 6000 yards his first 5 seasons. 

Maybe someone has already posted this.

Gets me every time. Darius Leonard.  "Bleacher Report: Darius Leonard one of Draft's Worst Picks"

"Just grind like tomorrow isn't coming."

Yikes!!

Edited by Thurman#1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, Bob in STL said:

How is a 7th round and 14th round selection a reach?  

To me it was calculated risk that paid off big.  

In 1964 they drafted 20 rounds. And the NFL only had 14 teams. So the 88th pick (7th round) would be the equivalent of the 24th pick in the 3rd round today.

Edited by Tuco

On 4/30/2023 at 1:15 PM, Chaos said:

Not really.  Most every players has someone criticizing.  PFF and Football Outsiders both proclaimed it a great pick. Hurts was exected to be a third round pick, he went at 53 overall. He certainly has out performed his draft position.  But that is not what the thread is about. Hurts does not really qualify as a reach. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-jalen-hurts-wasnt-a-good-pick-by-the-philadelphia-eagles-he-was-a-great-one

On 4/30/2023 at 1:20 PM, Chaos said:

image.thumb.png.6a1597300d08b8b62c2d6e722ce3f35b.png

No. Mahomes was a consenus first round pick.  Ajdusting for positional value, he was a bit of a reach at 10.  But he is far from the biggest reach to succeed. 

You are asking for examples and you are declaring most of them irrelevant because they don't fit your agenda.

If someone is projected to go in the 3rd and goes in the 2nd, how is that not a reach? Hurts counts.

Mahomes was viewed by many to be a reach. That's a fact. There was tons of concern about him coming from an air raid offense and he was viewed as a raw prospect.

I know these don't fit your narrative, but show a little more honesty.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:08 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I’m gonna get gigantic **** for this, but Donte Whitner was considered a huge reach. He went on to have a pretty productive 11 year career. Donovan McNabb also. I remember the boos on draft day. Turned out pretty solid 👍

Whitner was clearly a really good player. Bills fans just wanted someone else. That's all it was. He had a good career.

On 5/3/2023 at 12:05 PM, Tuco said:

In 1964 they drafted 20 rounds. And the NFL only had 14 teams. So the 88th pick (7th round) would be the equivalent of the 24th pick in the 3rd round today.

Yes.  Making a 7th rounder even less of a risk.  

On 5/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, MJS said:

You are asking for examples and you are declaring most of them irrelevant because they don't fit your agenda.

If someone is projected to go in the 3rd and goes in the 2nd, how is that not a reach? Hurts counts.

Mahomes was viewed by many to be a reach. That's a fact. There was tons of concern about him coming from an air raid offense and he was viewed as a raw prospect.

I know these don't fit your narrative, but show a little more honesty.

Your just wrong. Sorry. 

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.