Famous NFL Draft "Reaches" who went on to significant NFL Success

Chaos

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Gibbs at 12 was the biggest reach of the draft. He is a f***ing RB and not one named Bijon Robinson.

I do NOT understand that pick, especially with the fact they spent pretty large on a RB in FA.  In the old days, I’d just say it’s the Lions being the Lions.. at this point, it’s just WTF?!

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

image.thumb.png.8b2280812c89686be83e4806eb0e6e65.png

Wow that was a pretty good draft and the ratings were really solid.  I give the QB assessments a bit of a pass as they are easily the most likely to struggle to translate. 

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

I do NOT understand that pick, especially with the fact they spent pretty large on a RB in FA.  In the old days, I’d just say it’s the Lions being the Lions.. at this point, it’s just WTF?!

A lot of people view Gibbs as more than an RB.  Niners are no longer criticized for trading for McCafferty. I suspect the lions are hoping for something along those lines. 

• Like (+1) 1

I went back over the last 20 years of Bills drafts, because nobody reached more than the Bills.  Not one of them panned out.

On another note, do not attempt this at home.  It's absolutely soul crushing looking at 2001-2016.  2017 on isn't bad, but the rest is just brutal.  Moving up for TJumptomakeacatch Graham, with Russ and Captain Kirk just sitting there.....  Makes you want to gouge your eyes out.....

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

16 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Cole Strange was considered to be a reach, but then he started all 17 games for the Pats as a rookie. 

Cole did not have a good season.

One of the worst ranked linemen in the NFL and only started because the Pats had no one else. Pats fans couldn’t stand him.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

4 seasons, 60 passing TDs.  11,600 yards.  1 playoff win followed by a total bed soiling playoff loss.

He hasn't achieved "significant NFL success", except financially.

Isn't that all that really matters.

I'd rather be Daniel Jones than the highly touted Josh Rosen.

Alex Leatherwood 🤓

43 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Mahomes, by far.

He was usually listed around the 30 to 40th best player on the board in most rankings.

Chiefs took him in the top 15.

He was CLIMBING late in the process though. There was no chance that he fell out of the 1st and almost certainly was going top 20. Maybe it was a surprise that he went ahead of Watson but he wasn’t going too many picks after by the time the draft rolled around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, 947 said:

Aaron Donald & Dwight Freeney come to mind as being considered reaches on Draft Day.

Freeney was mostly projected as a 2nd rounder and went 11th.

Donald was said to be a late 1st rounder, he went 13th. NFL.com even rated him a 5.9 prospect, Average Backup or Special Teamer.

Freeney definitely. He was shut down by Bryant McKinnie in a Miami-Syracuse game in his senior season and the view was that against real competition he was shown to be a paper tiger. He had a much better career than McKinnie and should probably go to the HOF.

32 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Isn't that all that really matters.

I'd rather be Daniel Jones than the highly touted Josh Rosen.

Dumb contracts by owners don't equal nfl success in the spirit the thread is describing.

Anyway, Rosen made 19 million for 16 starts.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.