RD 7, Pick 252: CB Alex Austin, Oregon State

Chandler#81

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Coulda had'em as a UFA. Wasted a prime late 7th rounder...

Some do not understand that with 7th round team the team chooses where player goes and get a 4 year contract.   With UDFAs player/agent chooses and often the player will get a 3 round allowing player to go to free agency early if play warranted.

Either that or Lightning is terrible at satire.

• SDS pinned this topic

I didn't even have this kid on my board. Matter of fact, I didn't even have anyone on my board, or a board in general. He probably plays football I'm guessing otherwise he wouldn't be here. Enjoy the turkey burgers at training camp rook. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is a classic McDermott/Beane late round CB pick. Length, zone coverage skills, field awareness. I think there's a path for him to make the team, just has to beat out Cam Lewis.

Good point. Improving the bottom of the roster is still improving the roster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Sadly this is very accurate. Unless they decide that he is better / more useful than Siran Neal and keep him on 53 (saving §2.3M in cap space in the process)

Him getting drafted by us and getting through a Bills training camp would probably increase his value.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

#252 overall. Kiper says he was a 3rd/4th round grade until combine testing was underwhelming, running a 4.6 despite a sprinter background in HS. Bad day? 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/alex-austin-cb-oregon-state-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

PFN likes him as a sleeper.

I am strangely confident this young man will spend several years in the NFL in some capacity. You never have enough CB’s, and our guys seem to have a knack for picking and developing them. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.