What does our O-Line look like now?

DrDawkinstein

On 4/29/2023 at 3:17 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Dawkins - McGovern - Morse - Torrence - Brown

Quess    - Boettger    - Bates  - Edwards -  Doyle

(Doyle?) - (Broeker?)                                    (Gouraige?)

edit:

Broeker either PS, or in Boettger's spot if Beane pull's off a trade.

I dont know enough about UDFA OT Richard Gouraige yet. He might be able to replace Doyle at backup RT, and Doyle moves to backup LT. He might make the PS. He might just be camp fodder.

That right side could be REAL NASTY if those dudes get their stuff together and develop.

Or does Bates or Edwards have a chance of starting over Torrence, and McGovern plays RG?

If push came to shove... I still believe Bates would move to guard and McGovern would take over Center if Morse was injured. 

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

Are you sure those are the numbers for Bills Connor McGovern?  There are two Connor McGoverns, one who played for Cowboys->Bills, the other played for Broncos->Jets. 

PFF lists just one Connor McGovern at center. The Jets player. They list the Bills Connor McGovern at guard. 

oh DAYM HA HA HA

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

Are you sure those are the numbers for Bills Connor McGovern?  There are two Connor McGoverns, one who played for Cowboys->Bills, the other played for Broncos->Jets. 

PFF lists just one Connor McGovern at center. The Jets player. They list the Bills Connor McGovern at guard. 

awe man all that work. I give up lol

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Sure I will keep it simple

Bates

OVERALL 61.8

RB 59.0

PB 61.5

McGovern

OVERALL 69.6

RB 69.7

PB 69.5

please keep in mind.. again.. last 3-4 years McGovern has lived at the center position.

soooooooooo

Just for giggles and.. this is going to shock you... "Brace Yourself"

Morse 2022

OVERALL 61.4

RB 57.3

PB 67.1

Morse 2021

OVERALL 63.4

RB 60

PB 69.9

Morse 2020

OVERALL 65.8

RB 63.8

PB 71.6

Notice Morse Yearly decline?

I mean that pretty much matches the eye test on all 3 players.

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not as annoying as people thinking Bates was bad last year or not one of our top 5. The 2nd half of last season he was our best lineman.

Sometimes I don’t think fans watch their own team.

We definitely needed OG help and competition but we also needed OT competition. I wish we could go back and sign an OT instead of McGovern. 

Being one of our best offensive lineman isn’t saying much.  I didn’t think he was better than Dawkins or Morse.  That leaves him being better than Saffold and Brown.  You were better than those guys. 

I like Bates and I’m not condoning trading him.  I’m not saying he’s bad.  I think he’s sufficient and his versatility gives him more value.  I hope they give him a shot @ RT.  

I don’t think he’ll be better than Torrance.  If he is, I think we made a mistake drafting Torrance.  I really hope our OGs are mcgovern and torrance. Bates as RT or the backup at almost every position and possibly taking over for Morse after next season.  

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m not sure who makes this decision. There’s been multiple blunders on the interior OL over the last few years with different OC’s and OL coaches.

The coaches make the decisions about who to start and play. The head scratcher would be how they would select Torrence with such a high pick in April and then decide not to play him just a few months later. OG is one of those positions where you should be able to step right in on Day One. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Being one of our best offensive lineman isn’t saying much.  I didn’t think he was better than Dawkins or Morse.  That leaves him being better than Saffold and Brown.  You were better than those guys. 

I like Bates and I’m not condoning trading him.  I’m not saying he’s bad.  I think he’s sufficient and his versatility gives him more value.  I hope they give him a shot @ RT.  

I don’t think he’ll be better than Torrance.  If he is, I think we made a mistake drafting Torrance.  I really hope our OGs are mcgovern and torrance. Bates as RT or the backup at almost every position and possibly taking over for Morse after next season.  

I’m pretty sure that Torrence and McGovern are starters with Bates as the first sub for all three interior positions.  I think Torrence has to have a really bad camp to not get a starting job and I don’t see that happening.  

It seems like a forgone conclusion that Brown is the starting RT.  The Bills have doubled and tripled down on his this offseason.  They passed on drafted and signing a veteran RT to push him.   The only way Bates played RT is if both Brown and Quessenberry get hurt or injured 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’m pretty sure that Torrence and McGovern are starters with Bates as the first sub for all three interior positions.  I think Torrence has to have a really bad camp to not get a starting job and I don’t see that happening.  

It seems like a forgone conclusion that Brown is the starting RT.  The Bills have doubled and tripled down on his this offseason.  They passed on drafted and signing a veteran RT to push him.   The only way Bates played RT is if both Brown and Quessenberry get hurt or injured 

I agree with all of this.

it’s just a shame that they didn’t bring in any competition for brown.  He’s been nothing but terrible in pass protection.  As I’ve stated previously- this decision might turn out to cost this regime their jobs.  

rd 1 of the playoffs- close game- brown gets wrecked and we lose partly due to his poor play. It’s a fireable offense after watching this guy play football for 2 years.  He was drafted with the same pick as Terrell Bernard.  No one is expecting him to be named starter and the Bills have already drafted his replacement a year later with the same pick.  

Man, I REALLY hope they’re right about Brown.  I see his potential too…. But show me the baby

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Bates is going to make the roster.

Unless Beane thinks he can get someone for him that helps other weak spots. As to me we have 4 starting caliber OGs on roster in Bates, McGovern, Edwards and Torrence. I'd move one out for competition at OT or a young DT under contract. 

20 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Unless Beane thinks he can get someone for him that helps other weak spots. As to me we have 4 starting caliber OGs on roster in Bates, McGovern, Edwards and Torrence. I'd move one out for competition at OT or a young DT under contract. 

Maybe, after that Wyatt Teller fiasco he is going to be very reluctant to move on from Bates.  Bates does have incredible versatility but he has been around for a long time now and has a limited ceiling, when we traded Teller he hadn't come close to his ceiling.

11 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Some clarification please on  2 points.  Wasn't it the Bears who tried to sign Bates as an RFA?

I know Bates can, and has, played C for the Bills in a regular season game.  Has Boettger as well?  

Yes, you are correct. It was Chicago and not Minnesota. Not sure why my brain mixed them up. I edited the post.

I do remember putting Boettger in at Center before in a pinch sometimes within the 2018-2021 seasons. Though as my Minnesota to Chicago brainfart would show, I don't know how well my memory can be trusted.

It's hard to find info on what position on the line he played in each snap and game he played. But as this article states, he does have Center versatility.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/05/buffalo-bills-re-sign-ike-boettger-one-year/

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree with all of this.

it’s just a shame that they didn’t bring in any competition for brown.  He’s been nothing but terrible in pass protection.  As I’ve stated previously- this decision might turn out to cost this regime their jobs.  

rd 1 of the playoffs- close game- brown gets wrecked and we lose partly due to his poor play. It’s a fireable offense after watching this guy play football for 2 years.  He was drafted with the same pick as Terrell Bernard.  No one is expecting him to be named starter and the Bills have already drafted his replacement a year later with the same pick.  

Man, I REALLY hope they’re right about Brown.  I see his potential too…. But show me the baby

It’s easy to forget that in the famous :13 game versus KC, Brown was destroyed by Melvin Ingram on 4th and 8 on the final Bills TD drive.   It basically took good luck and a Herculean effort by Josh to juke him and scramble for a first down.  

Had it not been for Josh’s scrambling ability, the game couldn’t easily been over on that play thanks the very poor rep from Brown.  

To make matters worse, he played bad for most of the season last year.  I just don’t hold the same optimism that Beane does for Brown.  

Just now, JohnNord said:

It’s easy to forget that in the famous :13 game versus KC, Brown was destroyed by Melvin Ingram on 4th and 8 on the final Bills TD drive.   It basically took good luck and a Herculean effort by Josh to juke him and scramble for a first down.  

Had it not been for Josh’s scrambling ability, the game couldn’t easily been over on that play thanks the very poor rep from Brown.  

To make matters worse, he played bad for most of the season last year.  I just don’t hold the same optimism that Beane does for Brown.  

That play will never leave memory.  The most important play of his life to date….and he didn’t even get out of his stance by the time a 32 year old DE was already by him.  Josh to his rescue.  Just feels like he’s going to get 17 killed one of these days.  

I agree 💯 we add 26 interior offensive lineman and only resigned the terrible Quess, which gift wraps the RT job to him, rather than making him earn it.  Which is why I hope they give Edwards or Bates a shot at RT.   A competition would only up his game if he is who they think he is.  

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I am not sure why they didn’t bring in Better competition for Brown. Queese is a decent backup but nothing more than that. I hope that in addition to adding a vet the McBeane goes after a swing tackle in late stage free agency. As there really isn’t a backup for Dawkins and more competition at RT would be a bonus. 

I get the idea that Brown with a healthy off season can regain his form a bit and develop more but more options and depths in case that doesn’t happen would be nice 

What's it look like? It appears to be a collection of absurdly large human beings. They'll pick the ones who are best at not letting other absurdly large humans get past them. 

I really don't know how it's going to shake out. Lotta people seem to think McGovern is slotted in as a starter from day one but I'd assume he'll have to beat out Ryan Bates, who I think does better on the left but that's also McGovern's natural spot. Torrence is a high end draft pick who's gonna get plenty of chances to win the RG spot. Is Bates odd man out and plays a backup role this year and maybe takes over for Morse next season? Dawkins and Brown are the tackles. The competitions to watch will be for both guard spots. 

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

What's it look like? It appears to be a collection of absurdly large human beings. They'll pick the ones who are best at not letting other absurdly large humans get past them. 

I really don't know how it's going to shake out. Lotta people seem to think McGovern is slotted in as a starter from day one but I'd assume he'll have to beat out Ryan Bates, who I think does better on the left but that's also McGovern's natural spot. Torrence is a high end draft pick who's gonna get plenty of chances to win the RG spot. Is Bates odd man out and plays a backup role this year and maybe takes over for Morse next season? Dawkins and Brown are the tackles. The competitions to watch will be for both guard spots. 

I think in the end the McBeane wants tremendously improved Oline depth and that hopefully means Torrence being plug and play at RG and McGovern being the above average starter he was signed to be. Then that moves Bates to first Oline off the bench at all three interior positions and possibly RT and maybe even LT. 

Add in Edwards as a solid backup along the guard spots and Queese As a decent backup RT and you have three decent to good backups off the bench. Definitely deeper than last year

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That play will never leave memory.  The most important play of his life to date….and he didn’t even get out of his stance by the time a 32 year old DE was already by him.  Josh to his rescue.  Just feels like he’s going to get 17 killed one of these days.  

I agree 💯 we add 26 interior offensive lineman and only resigned the terrible Quess, which gift wraps the RT job to him, rather than making him earn it.  Which is why I hope they give Edwards or Bates a shot at RT.   A competition would only up his game if he is who they think he is.  

At this point, that is perhaps the most likely chance, though neither Edwards nor Bates seems like a strong RT alternative to me. It's still possible somebody gets cut that can be brought in as competition or that Doyle recovers from injury and ends up a viable alternative. Maybe the UDFA Gouraige that played with Torrence is a nice surprise. Someone mentioned bringing in Cameron Fleming who is still a FA. To me, not bringing in someone as better competition for Brown is hubris, nearly inexplicable, the one glaring weakness in an otherwise strong offseason for Beane -- and naturally, I hope Brown turns the corner and is great. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

As a long time PSU fan, I watched all of Bates and McGoverns games, and have watched Bates games with the Bills. 

In contrast to what’s been stated in this thread, Bates played guard his first couple years at PSU, and was excellent. They kicked him out to RT and then LT because they had no tackles. It was clear to many observers that Bates was a better guard than tackle. His feet and. Athleticism are good, but arms are too short. 

McG played guard and center at PSU. Back then, he was better in pass pro than run blocking. Of course, PSU was running this goofy zone read and RPO offense at the time where the strategy seemed to be to allow the DT to blow up the mesh points. 

My thinking is that Bills signed McG and Bates to be starting guards. But when Torrence became available, they modified that plan. Depending on how quickly Torrence develops, I see Bates at LG and Torrence at RG, with McG being first IOL backup. I think Bates is a better overall guard than McG, and that Bates is better at LG than RG. Not really sure why. Maybe having Dawkins next to him helps. 

Finally, it wouldn’t surprise me if Bills 5 yr plan is Bates, McG, Torrence from left to right. 

Finally, given the rate at which OL are injured, Bills would be nuts to trade away either of these 2 guys. 

Good stuff.

Thank you.

The bills signed McGovern to too big of a contract for him not to start and if Torrence is as good as advertised, then he should start too.

Bates will be the number one back up. His best position is center though. Too bad his worst position is probably right tackle, but I’d be willing to try him there if spencer doesn’t improve. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.